King Song S18 Discussion

Phong Vu

You could see the suspension was better in the videos of the S18. When the V11 dropped of the curb, the rider had to bend his knees aggressively to cushion the impact and still the suspension bottomed out. Having decent suspension on a wheel may well translate into better safety and more range as the wheel won't need as much extra power to lift the rider over bumps or out of pot holes. Having 30% more battery is fine but also remember the V11 weighs 28Kg 27Kg (I believe only the Monster is heavier) so I'm not sure that will translate to 30% more range. Also remember if you plan on taking the V11 up a staircase or lifting it into the back of a pickup then I'd start getting into shape now. People here go on endlessly about speed and range but my guess is that most people stay around 20mph on their wheels and rarely go over 10 miles. I think these wheels will do fine. I do see some fascinating comparison videos coming in the future though.

Edited by mike_bike_kite
corrected weight
  • Like 3

I'm curious about the use-cases for the suspension-lock feature of the V11.

In mountain biking, you'd lock the suspension for better power transfer when pedalling. I wonder how much of a difference it will make to battery range, if any?

I suppose it's a nice feature to have to get different riding "feels", but I assume most riders will prefer having a consistent feeling wheel.

Another use-case may be when carrying the wheel by the handle. I wonder if the suspension lock will make it easier to carry so you don't have a bobbing wheel as you walk up stairs?

Any other use-cases you can think of?

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, mike_bike_kite said:

You could see the suspension was better in the videos of the S18. When the V11 dropped of the curb, the rider had to bend his knees aggressively to cushion the impact and still the suspension bottomed out.

Just to be clear...there's really no way to tell which suspension is better without knowing what settings they were adjusted at.

ie: inmotion could have had the compression fully open (no damping) hence bottoming out.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Asphalt said:

I wonder if the suspension lock will make it easier to carry so you don't have a bobbing wheel as you walk up stairs?

I would be very worry about this suspension if it start to move by itself with just walking up/down movement :D

Edited by Phong Vu

1 hour ago, Asphalt said:

Another use-case may be when carrying the wheel by the handle. I wonder if the suspension lock will make it easier to carry so you don't have a bobbing wheel as you walk up stairs?

You do know this wheel weighs 28Kg? I suspect that won't be anybodies use case.

1 hour ago, davinche said:

Just to be clear...there's really no way to tell which suspension is better without knowing what settings they were adjusted at.

ie: inmotion could have had the compression fully open (no damping) hence bottoming out.

It was their video to show off their suspension. If they couldn't work out how to set it up correctly then that doesn't leave much hope for us.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, mike_bike_kite said:

You do know this wheel weighs 28Kg? I suspect that won't be anybodies use case.

It was their video to show off their suspension. If they couldn't work out how to set it up correctly then that doesn't leave much hope for us.

Well not exactly right? It depends on how knowledgeable people are with regards to suspensions. People criticized Kujis video; saying how the suspension doesn't seem to effective, how the suspension didn't travel much relative to what they described (100mm or whatever).

So there's at least 2 ways of demonstrating the suspension:

1) Show how a suspension is supposed to work for the general case (should not travel the full distance or "bottom out") - eg: kujis video

2) Show how much the suspension can travel - eg: inmotions video

Both of these cases can be criticized - but not all criticism is just.

So basically what I'm trying to say is, it's hard to know anything without knowing the parameters used in these "demos".

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Asphalt said:

Think dumbbell vs shake weight
 giphy.gif

Goodness this discussion just hit a new low :facepalm:

Thanks for embedding those imagery neurons in my brain. :blink1:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mrelwood said:

I think you are talking about the one where the V11 is ridden down from about a one foot ledge. The first V11 video (vertical phone video) shows riding down an actual tall curb, and the rider descends incredibly smoothly from the higher plane to the lower one, with barely any knee bending. Whereas the S18 gets airborne even on a small speed bump, and Kuji’s feet are constantly bouncing up and down just from riding on a dirt road. I fail to comprehend how the S18 suspension looks better to anyone.

Speed differences, rider preferences and I fail to see how anyone can assume one is 'better' than the other at this point. From a 'looks' standpoint, my opinion is the s18 is better. But of course, we aint just looking at these, we'll be riding them hopefully. Broken record around here...  Someone states one design is superior, then professes to not know much about it. Clearly we are basing what we prefer on mostly opinion and bias with a little video and millions of unknown factors in play. I hear wallets opening up all across the globe. Fun times, fun times.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Clearly we are basing what we prefer on mostly opinion and bias with a little video and millions of unknown factors in play.

This comment is much more of a fact than anything we “know” and speculate about either wheel!

• Like 2

This kind of reminds me of KTM when they went to a link-less rear end. 

In the dirt bike world that took away one more tuning option from teams, and made their bikes a no go for short people like me who prefer longer dog bones to lower a bike over reducing travel. 

For us height doesnt matter and I doubt there will be different linkages available for tuning suspension behavior on these two wheels. 

Is it confirmed that the V11 has rebound adjustability? 

I am excited to see inmotion make such a leap into the top end of the market, and I'm equally excited to see king what is basically a mnt bike rear suspension system on a wheel. 

For me my next wheel needs to let me go on longer rides. I can make 30 miles on mostly flat ground but the average speed needs to be around 15mph (great site seeing but boring). I want to be able to go 30 miles at and not think about battery life, just ride as fast as I want and play on ride off shoots if I see something fun, or on a site are trip be able to go 50 miles. 

For those reasons and lack of gamble funds I'll have to let those first batch of suspended wheels entertain me through YouTube and this forum. 

Had the virus not sent a lot of us home i was ready to get a 1600wh class wheel but like @Rehab1's wife, mine too would throw heavy objects at me if I bought another wheel right now :P

• Like 3

3 hours ago, SamSuffit said:

For tech enthusiasts, here is the analysis of the KS S18 suspension system (not official, based on hypothesis)

S18-02.gif.92eed9e185694aa98f369170a660d3fc.gif

Source french forum for thanking the author: https://www.espritroue.fr/topic/12149-nouvelle-kingsong-2020-la-s18/?do=findComment&comment=238656

Quite mesmerizing, but it raises some additional questions on the balance of the wheel: Is it front heavy? (Consequence: the wheel will tend to accelerate on its own, quite dangerous)

Okay again, what is the benefit of making a speculation like that? Why are you operating under the assumption that King Song has never made a wheel before and therefore would put out a fatal product??  The obvious answer here is that the weight of the suspension offsets the weight of the extra batteries in front, not that KS put out a completely useless wheel.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, null said:

I´m sure KS did their math but I‘d beware of stating “obvious answers”. You are putting a lot of words in @SamSuffit s mouth.

I'm not saying I'm right.  I'm saying that it's FAR more likely that the weight is actually evenly distributed than that it's super dangerous and NOBODY noticed, including Kuji, until Sam pointed it out.  Based on a gif that someone made.

Edited by Stillhart
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Stillhart said:

Okay again, what is the benefit of making a speculation like that? Why are you operating under the assumption that King Song has never made a wheel before and therefore would put out a fatal product??  The obvious answer here is that the weight of the suspension offsets the weight of the extra batteries in front, not that KS put out a completely useless wheel.

Wow calm down cow boy! The aim of this forum is to discuss about wheels. KS or any other constructor is not giving all information, so we speculate. Nothing bad here. Nobody's perfect, and constructors neither.

The obvious observation is that you are quite sensitive about your wheels. Furthermore, Kuji made only a quick video about a prototype, not a full review of a finished product.

Or maybe I'm just a spy working for Gotway/Inmotion/Ninebot...:ph34r:

• Like 2

You know, you're right.  I was looking at that gif, and it looks like there's a part there that sprays acid in your face when you brake.  How could King Song make something so dangerous??

Let's all get out our torches and pitchforks!!