King Song S18 Discussion

Phong Vu

1 hour ago, Roadpower said:

Hmm, I'm tempted to order a S18 just to spit in the face of the odds. This whole thing is getting at my curiosity bone now.

I’m open to any solution that will put my s18 back on the road. I have considered making my original an “organ donor” for a second s18, a used wheel. A new wheel. Even considered a tempting throw this crap-fest away moment. But I’m emotionally invested. Experience Points? You betcha!!!

I don’t mind spending but I’d rather not throw money away. Things will get better.

Edited by John Jones
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Scottie888 said:

I won't say I'm a happy S18 camper but my main complain & perhaps one true complaint is the lack of a good dual sport tire. KS coulda pkg the S18 with a good knobby option (ala Sherman which incidentally isn't much of a offroad wheel in comparo) or at the very least, made the fender with enough spacing (of which there's lotsa room) to accommodate the various ones out there.

This is my main beef. More topend would be nice & ofcos, more range is always good. But as an offroad wheel, 60kms is a plenty. I don't know if many do mtb trails but 40kms is a 2-3hr ride if not longer. That's more than enough pounding on the knees & back to keep me occupied aplenty. 

For a wheel with range, there's lots of choices out there. There isn't much for strictly offroad. KS coulda wouda shoulda grabbed this segment but they blew it.

You know this tire? It's a perfect fit for the S18.

Ordered it twice, put it on my S18 and I should receive the other one soon to test if it fits my V11.

https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/aw/d/B0042ZBYAY/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=AN1VRQENFRJN5&psc=1

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Eric plam said:

You know this tire? It's a perfect fit for the S18.

Ordered it twice, put it on my S18 and I should receive the other one soon to test if it fits my V11.

https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/aw/d/B0042ZBYAY/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=AN1VRQENFRJN5&psc=1

Based on the photos, IRC TR-1 looks identical to CST C-186 and Kenda K262. The C-186 is not really available in the US, while the Kenda is not available in EU. Maybe the TR-1 is the one that rules the Asian markets?

The C-186 fits the V11 nicely without mods, and I’m pretty sure that any tire that fits the S18 will surely fit the V11 as well.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Roadpower said:

@Paulo Mesquita Yeah that is not good. My vantage point however is one of a commuter and professional user (used to expedite work). For me it is not a hobby or sport, it is simply a means of transportation that ticks enough boxes to make it a preferred method of transport. Granted I post here because the devices hold a significant interest to me. It is worth questioning how the industry views these products. From there answers should flow as to why we are seemingly experiencing an unacceptable failure rate.

Absolutely right!!! 

17 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

These are the same people who claim EVERY new wheel they get is now 'the best'. It rides great, but dont drop it or look inside it and surely assume itll drop you soon.... ugh, pathetic.

Exactly @ShanesPlanet! The race for "the best" is up and quality control is down!!!

And your insights on a good 2nd hand wheel that has proven itself is something for us all to seriously consider!!! 

15 hours ago, Flying W said:

I have....I'll call it 3.5 wheels (one is a 132wh airwheel clone so it gets a half). 

Cheap knock off "toy wheel" with the least range or power has had no issues, but also doesn't get the miles put on it. It's fun to practice slow speed stuff, like a really bad version of an mten. 

Mcm5 version one, 330 mile in needed a new board. It didn't burn out, and I rode home on it but it did the oscillating front to bad thing so Jason sente a new board. It's been great for another 3800 miles and counting. 

16s, no issues at all, 4300miles.

RS HT version 1, breaking alignment knocking withing the first 8 miles. Jason replaced the whole wheel right away (I won't buy from anywhere else, he always comes through!) and it now has 1k miles on it. 

On the RS I re routed some wires, found lose trolly handle screws and some loose pedal hanger bolts. I didn't some other things just to keep dirt out like covering the motor wire bore hole, taping off the trolley handle and putting some silicone on the holes going into the led lights. I didn't not cover the vents, a little bit of dust still gets in but it's minor. 

I also replaced the side panel screws with ones of a known metal haha. I pull the board side every 250 miles or so to blow out the dust so the stock screws had to go. I love this wheel, it climbs crazy stuff off road and runs cool, but the heat has to escape and that does let in dust. If it looks like any kind of sprinkling of rain can be possible it also doesn't leave the house. 

I'm at a 50% rate for needing warranty support in short order for something. That's also why I don't save a little and buy direct or from am Ali store. 

I'm still addicted though, yes I'd buy a more expensive wheel if the quality, more important the quality control, was there but I'm still happy with what I can get for the prices offered. This much range and power for a few grand still feels like a bargain compared to an while or scooter....and I'm not interested in scooters. Once they allow ebikes at the local mnt bike spots I'll have to get one though. I just wish an e mnt bike that can handle the down hill beating didn't cost so much. 

@Paulo Mesquita I hope you get another S18 and that it works great, there are many happy S18 owners out there. The two most common complaints, range and top speed, don't seem like issues for your riding and the suspension should help out a lot if your hit a bump you don't see.

My 70yr old dad just last week came off again from hitting bump he didn't see at about 18mph. It was a lump in the pavement cause by tree roots. He doesn't wear gear accept for wrist guards and he has no business eating a pavement sandwich. If I could afford it I'd buy a v11 or an S18 for him to ride just for that extra safety.

Needless to say I carry a decent first aid kit. 70yr olds don't stop bleeding like us young middle aged kids! 

Man, I feel you and your dad. When I fall I hurt... and I always ride fully geared!!! 

It seems that you have also quite a few issues yourself with quality control. Statistics are bad... 

9 hours ago, John Jones said:

I’m open to any solution that will put my s18 back on the road. I have considered making my original an “organ donor” for a second s18, a used wheel. A new wheel. Even considered a tempting throw this crap-fest away moment. But I’m emotionally invested. Experience Points? You betcha!!!

I don’t mind spending but I’d rather not throw money away. Things will get better.

@John Jones you're even unluckeir than me. In a very twisted way I admit you made feel a bit better. Sh*t, this thread is a roller-coaster of emotions for me!!! 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Scottie said:

This has a familiar ring to it. The V11 thread had a similar tone for a few posts. @Unventor made a similar comment over there.

For @Roadpower, hopefully this will go a small way toward complying with your request. Ian at Speedy Feet did a show with @Marty Backe. They talked about many things. But the discussion on this subject starts at 4:24 and goes to about 9:30. Pay close attention at 6:45 and 7:45, and you will hear Ian say very much the same thing as what @Unventor and @Roadpower alluded to. I will start it at 4:15 where the discussion starts warming up in that direction.

There is a saying ... "The squeaky wheel gets the grease." Or in our case, the broken wheel gets the attention, which is very much the same as what Unventor has said.

It is sad or disappointing when it happens to one of our friends like @Paulo Mesquita, and is traumatic ... such as what happened to the Black Cobra. Everyone wants better quality, and even system redundancy.

When I do my inner soul searching about riding and the possible consequences, I still choose to ride, but control mitigate my risk by riding slower. But I am old and happy to go slower. If I were 30, I am sure I would sing another tune about that. Even with the slower riding I know I could eat pavement, but hopefully it will not taste as bad.

P.S. There were lots of updates to this thread when I was putting my post together. I hope I did not late to the party!      

I really think this is very well written. 

We all want problem free products. But there is a level if risk on a relative new brance of transport. It is not intuitive how this risk impact you until it is too late. 

Most people would think I didn't do anything wrong so who do I blame. 

But if a free mountian climber slips he might not done something wrong it still happens. Putting blame on the mountian or rock or sand does mot really help in that situation. Other did not make the choise to climb there. I don't do free climbing. But with a harnes and line attached it might be doable. 

I try to mitigate the risks too. But things still happen like an instant puncture for @mrelwoodthe other day.

It might feel safe, but feelings and what it actial is are 2 different things.

Yet we do many things every day that sometimes goes wrong. Yet every day we do our thing anyway. 

But back to your post. I cannot stress enough how god I think you wrote this. 

Edited by Unventor
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Paulo Mesquita said:

The fact is that's something is very wrong right now with the quality control of the wheels of the three major brands. Maybe due to component shortness, maybe through staff shortness for quality control. I don't know... I just know that something is very wrong right now.

That is a very interesting point. A lot of us have purchased 'Pandemic Wheels', but it could be that 4 months to a year ago, the situation was much better with staffing and components. Hopefully, if this is the case, things have hit bottom and are on the way back up. But that could just be wishful thinking. There may be lots more room to go down before we go back up.   

The overall supply chain is a mess. It must be a horrendous challenge for the 'powers that be' to know what to do. It is so very complicated.

I haven't paid any attention to the general electronics situation lately. Have people been getting bad computers, smart phones, or games recently also? The chip shortage is big news these past few months. It has wrecked the automobile industry. This is the first time in my life that I have seen empty lots at the new car dealers ... spooky!

I feel your pain and hope that you do get a good wheel soon. I believe that you are a lot like myself, in that the wheel hobby has helped alleviate some of the pandemic madness (and it's fallout) from your mind, and got your body in better shape also! But your recent statistics are disheartening. That video is a couple months old and was just intended to offer a wider perspective, but it may not be valid anymore in view of current market situations ... but I hope it is still valid. :huh:

We have got to get you off that roller coaster ... that is not a fun one. :barf: Can someone get this man a wheel please. Seriously though, I am keeping my fingers crossed for your next S18. But whatever happens, the 16X will be there for you.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paulo Mesquita said:

@Scottie I saw thd video and I stand to my 1st comment on this subject. Out of 5 wheels that I've been in contact with 3 went bust. Two motherboard (if my S18 has the MB issue that Andrey from Myewheel suspects) and one motor. Statistically this ir really bad to my personal experience. I also would like to state that I've placed many more positive posts, stating my extreme satisfaction with the two wheels that never gave me issues: my two beloved KS 16x (one sold).

The fact is that's something is very wrong right now with the quality control of the wheels of the three major brands. Maybe due to component shortness, maybe through staff shortness for quality control. I don't know... I just know that something is very wrong right now. 

😒😒😒😒

I don't think it is that simple. 

A wheel like how we ride them is not by itself a stable device. By this I mean it is similar to a F16 fighterjet. 

It can fly but it is not aerodynamic stable at all. Without computerpower to assist it is not controlled flight. 

Same goes for EUC. If you take an e-scooter that is stai le in one way and not fully still. It cannot tip forward or backward as an EUC. 

Now many EUC riders ride to the very limits or riding the beeps (not all but still) 

If you were to drine a car or mc in same mannets it too would show signs of problems. 

Due to this it is about understanding there is a risk and how you ride can add or mitigate the risk factor. 

In the end it comes down to benafit vs negative impact. And that equation is not the same for all rides. It is not a simple QC issue imo. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Scottie said:

That is a very interesting point. A lot of us have purchased 'Pandemic Wheels', but it could be that 4 months to a year ago, the situation was much better with staffing and components. Hopefully, if this is the case, things have hit bottom and are on the way back up. But that could just be wishful thinking. There may be lots more room to go down before we go back up.   

The overall supply chain is a mess. It must be a horrendous challenge for the 'powers that be' to know what to do. It is so very complicated.

I haven't paid any attention to the general electronics situation lately. Have people been getting bad computers, smart phones, or games recently also? The chip shortage is big news these past few months. It has wrecked the automobile industry. This is the first time in my life that I have seen empty lots at the new car dealers ... spooky!

I feel your pain and hope that you do get a good wheel soon. I believe that you are a lot like myself, in that the wheel hobby has helped alleviate some of the pandemic madness (and it's fallout) from your mind, and got your body in better shape also! But your recent statistics are disheartening. That video is a couple months old and was just intended to offer a wider perspective, but it may not be valid anymore in view of current market situations ... but I hope it is still valid. :huh:

We have got to get you off that roller coaster ... that is not a fun one. :barf: Can someone get this man a wheel please. Seriously though, I am keeping my fingers crossed for your next S18. But whatever happens, the 16X will be there for you.  

You touched the right spot: pandemic wheels. I think that is the main cause of these lemmons. And not only wheels... there's a lot of pandemic shipping damage. Both the boxes of the KS 16x and KS S18 were damaged through shipping. I believe we're buying stuff online under very dire conditions due to this crazy covid world in the past year and a half. 

You are also right about my joining this hobby!  I did it to shake off the covid dark cloud over my head. It worked like a charm and for that I'm truly grateful...evenbwith bad wheels falling on my lap 😊😊😊

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mrelwood said:

The immaturity of the whole vehicle group / hobby / lifestyle might be causing the situation. None of the current manufacturers would survive if there were viable manufacturers to choose from that had 1/10th of the current failure rate. But there aren’t. As you have noticed yourself, this is the most fun a man can do without (or even with for some of us…) one’s  pants on. Since it’s either to ride and accept the status quo or to not ride at all, it’s an easy choice for most of us.

Of course that doesn’t mean that I find the situation acceptable. It clearly isn’t. It’s simply the reason why things are the way they are.

I am hoping that we would soon see either the manufacturers to start competing with QC, or a new player to enter the field that forces the others to do so.

I see your point of view and honestly I just think that this market segment only needs a better quality control system, done in-house by the manufacturers. I wouldn't mind buying a slightly more expensive wheel that had been properly checked and tested... than having all the hassle of shipping one back after riding it only 14kms. You see, my s18 going back, is going though at least 5 countries and it goind to sit in dome if them for a few days, before moving on to the next... 

... and then, coming back to Portugal, it's another globetrotter ride... 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Unipsycho said:

Well, I will certainly agree with you Scott on the tire issue and limitations for a suspension wheel but as far as everything else with this wheel, I'd say they nailed it.  Light enough to be limble and manouverable for offroading, reasonable range, considering the light weight compared to other bohemouths, and so I can't complain at all.  I've put over 400km now in some pretty rough terrain on mine and its a VERY capable wheel.  I would say if you need more range/speed that is the deciding factor, but KS certainly didn't blow it with this wheel, in fact I think they crushed it building a unique all round suspension model before anyone else. 

I'm sure their next model will increase the range/speed to match more of the market but I'm not sure I'd want a heavily wheel for serious offroad riding as you really need the agility.

There were moments, in my very short experience with the S18, that I felt if almost like the 16x, which was a very nice surprise. Nimble and responsive almost like a 16"wheel. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Unventor said:

A wheel like how we ride them is not by itself a stable device

Perfect description.

But it's a weak/hollow excuse. Those of us that are willing to buy these things are pretty typical... we want something for nothing if we can get away with it. Sure there's increased risk if the design or assembly is marginal, but am I willing to pay what it takes to improve? And how good does it really have to be?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Tawpie said:

Perfect description.

But it's a weak/hollow excuse. Those of us that are willing to buy these things are pretty typical... we want something for nothing if we can get away with it. Sure there's increased risk if the design or assembly is marginal, but am I willing to pay what it takes to improve? And how good does it really have to be?

I thing that for the pleasure they give us we have Penrith of choices that sets his enough for every taste. The issue, IMHO, is how safe does it have to be? Because at the speed,, torque, meneuver performance point that they already are at.. Saberia becomes crucial. Again, IMHO these brands, instead of coming out with more and nore models of wheels... Like hot bread, they skid slow down a bit a focus on quality control. After all, their clients well beings and even lives, may one day depend on it. 

Just imagine that parachute makers had the same lack of quality control that the EUC market has... Guys and gals would be falling oh of the sky like flies right on to our barberque parties. 😊😊😊😊

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, NErider said:

Just to add my S18 experience here also, I experienced a catastrophic failure of my S18. It was made 100% right by Ewheels in the USA. 

+I'm so glad I decided to purchase from EWheels over other online vendors or overseas websites. They are awesome!!!

Just curios, what batch of S18 did you receive and what type of riding to you do? It would be a little concerning if the weld snapped due to normal riding.

Thanks and congratulations on getting your wheel back.

2 hours ago, NErider said:

Just to add my S18 experience here also, I experienced a catastrophic failure of my S18. It was made 100% right by Ewheels in the USA. 

What happened is, I was riding up to my camper and upon decelerating to a stop from maybe double a walking pace, the wheel just fell out from under me. But I was stopping and dismounting at the same time. Then it would only flash the headlight and go dead no matter how many times I pressed the button. Plugging in the charger had no effect. 

To summarize the damage, the terrible excuse for a weld of the axle shaft to the motor stator snapped, allowing the stator to rotate on the axle, which guillotined the motor and encoder wires, shorting all of them to each other and the frame of the motor. 

This killed the motor, control board, and at least 1 or all of my batteries. I was able to recharge the main battery packs with a power supply, but the "sub-voltage" from the smaller battery wires never recovered. 

After learning in phases that most every part of the S18 got nuked, I sent the wheel back to Ewheels and they repaired everything. Getting my wheel back within a week. 

It has been problem free for the last couple of months. I can't say enough good things about the customer service at Ewheels. They really worked with me to make it right. 

That was exactly what happened to me a month ago with mine. I'm still waiting for the wheel to bet to MyEWheel in Bulgaria, where they assured it would be repaired. Mine only ran for 14kms... very frustratring...

1 hour ago, 5Cauac said:

+I'm so glad I decided to purchase from EWheels over other online vendors or overseas websites. They are awesome!!!

Just curios, what batch of S18 did you receive and what type of riding to you do? It would be a little concerning if the weld snapped due to normal riding.

Thanks and congratulations on getting your wheel back.

It was "Batch 3". And I had 20 miles or less on it. This was my first wheel, so that riding was parking lots, my neighborhood and at an event at a dirt runway airport. I was going about 4 or 5mph as I approached my stopping point, leaned it back to stop and it just rotated out from under my feet. 

Prior to this, I noticed a clunk sound if I braced myself and did a "back and forth" move with the wheel for a bit. Looking back on it, it probably broke very early on, and the axle was just getting jammed up on the broken weld until it finally let completely go. 

3 minutes ago, NErider said:

It was "Batch 3". And I had 20 miles or less on it. This was my first wheel, so that riding was parking lots, my neighborhood and at an event at a dirt runway airport. I was going about 4 or 5mph as I approached my stopping point, leaned it back to stop and it just rotated out from under my feet. 

Prior to this, I noticed a clunk sound if I braced myself and did a "back and forth" move with the wheel for a bit. Looking back on it, it probably broke very early on, and the axle was just getting jammed up on the broken weld until it finally let completely go. 

I was told mine was batch 4...but I guess there's no way to find out...