King Song S18 Discussion

Phong Vu

A video of us riding S18, V11 and V8 in Helsinki with the S18 in focus. Feel free to add friend riders!

https://www.facebook.com/StevenDCD/videos/10224296731824352

Edited by Steven007

Many days have passed without activity in this forum thread.
To visualize a kind of test of the KSS18, I attach a video of a complete route of 15 km through quite uneven terrain where you can see how easily this wheel can move on the ground.

I hope you like it.

• Like 3

I’ve had the wheel off quite a few times now and mounting it isn’t a problem, syncs right up. I don’t seem to need that extra bit of techno wizardry.
Just mounted a Pirelli Angel Scooter Tire today. When it arrived it looked way too wide and I was thinking that I wouldn’t waste my time, but my curiosity got the better of me. Once I muscled it on it and pumped up it was perfect! 
I was tired of wobbling and bouncing down the road on the Chao Yang garbage. I tried the Shinko knobby but it was so unstable I couldn’t use it. So I’m settling for the Pirelli, seems to stick to the road and runs much better than the OEM. I haven’t hit the trails with it yet. We'll see...

• Like 1

On 11/17/2020 at 3:05 AM, AlexIsTheBest said:

I think so. I guess we don’t really know what KS was referring to in the firmware update.

In my case, and as I remember perfectly what the "wobble" is (because I had that too often with my previous MSX!), I can tell you that the "shaking" that I endure with my S18 (which doesn't even have 300 km) is something totally different, violent, unexpected, even happening at very low speed and on perfect surface :(

My "shaking" is indeed much more like "rodeo" than "wobble".

And so, at this point, for fear of falling despite my years of experience with my previous 4 wheels, I totally stopped trying to ride again with this one, which is why this little video was made in my office and keeping external support with both hands!

Edit: a month later, and the same behavior, despite the few adjustments of the shock absorber that I made, as they were personally advised to me by "Jack of KS"...

Edited by sbouju
  • Like 1

I have found that it often depends on how the feet are positioned, I who have the left predominant, in order not to shake the wheel I have to keep the right one slightly forward on the platform, I do this every time I notice that it starts to tremble

bah !

A.

On 11/30/2020 at 2:35 AM, sbouju said:

In my case, and as I remember perfectly what the "wobble" is (because I had that too often with my previous MSX!), I can tell you that the "shaking" that I endure with my S18 (which doesn't even have 300 km) is something totally different, violent, unexpected, even happening at very low speed and on perfect surface, to the point that I had to stop using this wheel for fear of an accident :(

I used to have a wobble occasionally too. I’ve had it on most of the wheels I ride. I noticed that as I ride I change my technique depending on where I ride and what I’m doing on the ride. Having one foot forward and the other foot a little behind gives you leverage over the wobble. Pressure on the front of your right foot (if its your dominant foot) and the heel of the left will make a big difference in your ability to control the wobble. This style has made a big difference riding on the hard. In the woods and on trails I don’t seem to get wobbles probably because I’m forward of where I am comfortable on the road, (my toes are off the front of the peddle, and I’m overall riding slower with more powerful movements. If your tire is active you might try lowering the tire pressure. 

The biggest problem with the S-18 was the tire that came with it. I couldn’t get rid of the out of balance and wobble problems. After trying other tires I finally came across the Pirelli Angel Scooter Tire. It was easy to true up and I don’t have any problems with tire wobble or out of balance problems any more. It feels secure on the wet roads, and I’ve been riding in the ice and snow with it, even on wet ice it sticks. I was out riding yesterday in snow and today in thawing ice. The tire is a little larger that the OEM tire but fits perfectly and doesn’t rub at all.

On 11/30/2020 at 3:35 AM, Beachboy said:

Yeah thats a crappy material..

Yup I had the same thing and got another set under warranty. In the meantime I reattached the piece with J B Weld. Works perfectly so when you get another pair back them up with J B and you won’t hav the same problem in the future. After the J B repair I’m still using the original pedals saving the new ones to mount spike grips. 

1 minute ago, Mac said:

Yup I had the same thing and got another set under warranty. In the meantime I reattached the piece with J B Weld. Works perfectly so when you get another pair back them up with J B and you won’t hav the same problem in the future. After the J B repair I’m still using the original pedals saving the new ones to mount spike grips. 

I forgot to mention that I purchase some of the KingSong S18 pedal spring sets from Black Crow on eBay. They are very smooth and aren’t as hard on the peddle as the OEM springs. They seem well designed the were inexpensive at $1.50!

On 11/5/2020 at 10:44 AM, RockyTop said:

I just tested 2.02 :w00t2: I like it much better. It feels like the 18XL. I can work with that. This software is not for the, “ I need more torque people.” It is for the “ Why does it feel like I am standing on the head of a drunk giraffe?” people. 

The only problem now is that the wheel basically acts dead in carry mode. I think I like it better than fall on your face when you forget to put the handle down mode. I might just turn the lift handle off completely. To me the firm ride and almost no pedal dip is worth it. 

I’m having another problem now I’m using 2.05 and for every mile I put on it doubled on the KS app and DarknessBot. 

On 11/30/2020 at 2:35 AM, sbouju said:

In my case, and as I remember perfectly what the "wobble" is (because I had that too often with my previous MSX!), I can tell you that the "shaking" that I endure with my S18 (which doesn't even have 300 km) is something totally different, violent, unexpected, even happening at very low speed and on perfect surface :(

And so, at this point, for fear of falling despite my years of experience with my previous 4 wheels, I totally stopped trying to ride again with this one, which is why this little video was made in my office and keeping external support with both hands!

Might adjust your suspension! You can ruin the shock if it’s that low...

10 hours ago, Mac said:

Might adjust your suspension! You can ruin the shock if it’s that low...

Thank you, but I have done it very often, and for this video, it was just before (220, 110, 15), so with relatively high values, due to my personal weight close to the quintal.

3 hours ago, sbouju said:

Thank you, but I have done it very often, and for this video, it was just before (220, 110, 15), so with relatively high values, due to my personal weight close to the quintal.

I’d get the shock sent in under warranty then.

51 minutes ago, sbouju said:

I have already tried to swap it with the exactly same S18 shock of a friend, and the "rodeo" was the same ! :(

If that video of you bouncing on the S-18 has a shock that is filled to it’s maximum pressures, then I might suggest that you are probably over the limits of it’s action. If you are interested in pursuing its use there are other shocks on the market that might work in place of the OEM shock. 

1 hour ago, Mac said:

there are other shocks on the market that might work in place of the OEM shock. 

May be... But I need to be sure that the original S18 shock absorber is in question due to an insufficient quality, and that swapping for a better one will stop the problem !

On 11/30/2020 at 12:35 PM, sbouju said:

Your S18’s suspension is badly stuck, as the wheel makes a horrible sound when moving up and down. It also barely recovers at all. The wheel’s behavior looks like the tire could be stuck as well.

If your wheel is under warranty, you need to reach out to the seller. If no warranty, to make that wheel rideable would require at least disassembling and fixing the suspension mechanism. This is a known issue, as the suspension is built all wrong at the factory. While putting it back together, the fender must be aligned carefully so that it doesn’t rub on the tire or the inner shell. This is done by using shims on the motor-shell attachment point.

I think there are several “S18 suspension overhaul” threads by now, which are a must read if you start working on your wheel.

If all goes well, the issue was just a stuck tire. If not, the main board will probably have to be replaced as well.

Edited by mrelwood
  • Like 2