King Song S18 Discussion

Phong Vu

12 hours ago, SpaceT said:

I hi y’all, after 800km riding I noticed this problem on my shocker. I can’t push the washer back in. Any thoughts?

Mine did that too. I deflated the shock and then managed to jam it back in with a pair of flat head screwdrivers. I can't really endorse my hack job method as being optimal but it seems to have done the job.

On 1/16/2021 at 12:18 AM, enaon said:

The 50T starts being a bigger battery only when the wheel demands less that ~700watts. 

This is exactly what takes a bit of edge from your great post. 700W is not nothing, not by a long shot. Calm riding under 30km/h can stay under 700W all the way, accelerations included. And even hard riders don’t accelerate and brake all the time. So depending on the rider, the end result can favor either battery.

But the point remains that comparing battery models for their rated Ah doesn’t do much for us. Much more data is needed.

• Like 1

On 1/27/2021 at 3:14 PM, NastyFartPants said:

Simple fix for the mudguard

I know I'm not the only one who has this issue.

I poked garden wire through the rubber

Clearly there are much thicker areas of rubber I can sew through if this doesn’t hold!

Yes, I used the same solution, but with a suitable rilsan collar, passing through the thicker rubber a little below ...

photo_2021-01-30_11-15-29.jpg

Edited by sbouju

On 1/29/2021 at 1:20 AM, mrelwood said:

This is exactly what takes a bit of edge from your great post. 700W is not nothing, not by a long shot. Calm riding under 30km/h can stay under 700W all the way, accelerations included. And even hard riders don’t accelerate and brake all the time. So depending on the rider, the end result can favor either battery.

But the point remains that comparing battery models for their rated Ah doesn’t do much for us. Much more data is needed.

I agree, 700W is what most of the ride is at.

It is in this 3p setup that I think that those Samsung cells would be a benefit, granted they will be a bit smaller if casual riding, but would deliver better when pressed. The surge graph on the LG cell makes me a bit worried about the 3P/LG M50T cell setup when pressed.

I will try to fit 20 more cells in, then the LG ones will be a better choice. :)

Edited by enaon
  • Like 1

The supposed low autonomy of the S18 is enough for me most of the time, but concerning the exceptional use of an external battery (in a backpack) with it, how to connect it electrically without major risk and in a simple way, only when it is necessary ?

Autonomy is useful, but this is not what worries me about the M50T cells, assuming the cells in the S18 are M50T cells. I haven't opened it up to look for myself yet, so I assume the info I got from the web is correct, and indeed the cells on the S18 are LG M50T cells. 

If so, the surge is high, not just specs, real tests shows it too on the battery comparison site. I trust Kingsong software is accounting for it and everything will be safe and all, but I don't like it never the less, too little room.

The way I see it, with such an excellent cooling performance, it would be nice to have stronger batteries, even at a slight cost of total mileage. 

To answer your question, I wouldn't charge and drive. I know that the pack is from kingsong, but I would not use it, it is borderline craziness. :)

The cells will suffer more, breaking power will get shorter, and it is not that good anyway, and a cable hanging while driving is a hazard. 

Edited by enaon

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 10/26/2020 at 8:39 AM, Purplecycle said:

On an unrelated note -- has anyone replaced their S18 motor bearings yet? I will need to replace mine and was wondering what model of bearings would be compatible. On my 18L I installed SKF 6203-2RSH/C3 and I have been very happy with them so far (rode over 4k km with them; the originals lasted about 2.5k km).

Did you ever find out if those for for the KS s18 ? Or find the correct size one for it ?

• Like 1

On 5/22/2021 at 4:16 AM, Gleb Vetrov said:

Did you ever find out if those for for the KS s18 ? Or find the correct size one for it ?

Hi. yes, I used the same ones I used in my 18L: SKF 6203-2RSH/C3

The old ones were quite damaged because of the dirt that got inside (bad quality seals). 

CC537169-863D-48C4-AE6A-2DE8BBF2FA0F.jpeg

35CCB0FE-6E6A-4C89-8C3B-FEA3D6F47277.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

ANOTHER KS S18 SASD STORY....

I'm very lucky to be able to talk to you today and being in a hospital. @ShanesPlanet you'll want to read this...

I went out today for a 1st ride with the KS S18 I received a few days ago from MyEWheels. I took a couple of days to do a proper bumper protection on the wheel and today I went out for the 1st time. Since these were the first kilometers the Tilt-back system didn't allow me to go at normal speed. Above 10km/15km hour I felt the tilt back and when at about 20km/hour (only a couple of times) it was just tilting too much and I slowed down.

After ONLY about 14kms in riding ON MY 1ST RIDE EVER WITH THE KS S18, all of a sudden...I felt the wheel motor cutting out at about 10/12kms hour. I WAS VERY LUCKY WITH MY FALL. THE GEAR PROTECTED ME and I didn't hurt much. The wheel went dead under my feet and I never got it on again. TOTALLY DEAD!!!

The wheel couldn't even be pushed because it felt like the motor was sticking it ( like when you try to push a turned off car with a gear put in). I was about 8kms away from home and had to call my daughter to pick me up (she has a Smart ForTwo so the wheel went on my lap...very unpleasant) and as I got home I plugged in the power to see if it went on. NOTHING HAPPENED! NO POWER, NO BLUETOOTH, NOTHING!!!... only the front light, sometimes, when I pressed the power button, flickered once or twice, but no more.  Both the EUC World, the KS app and the BT on my Huawei Mate Pro20 Smartphone or Kospet Prime 2 Smartwatch... don't detect the wheel. It's a dead wheel!

I'm really very disappointed with what just happened and I wrote to MyEWheel and I'm waiting  to find out they're going to help me with this. I'll need them to send me a RMA so I can ship it back. And I'm thinking - @ShanesPlanet you were right all along  - I'm not interested in such a dangerous and unreliable wheel. Either I get a refund or they  send me another KS16X and I stick to my original plan on having two of the same wheel. At least that wheel seems to be reliable.

Here is the link of my miserable EUC World Tour of today (also on my sig here on the forum):

EUC World | Paulo Mesquita was on tour 10 hours ago - 14.3 km in Sintra

This is how 
I'm very lucky not to be in the hospital right n now!!! I really like MyEWheel and I know it's not  their direct fault. Maybe it's a factory problem or maybe it's damage from something that happened with the shipping company and that resulted the big fist size hole on the packaging (I sent MyEWheel the photos taken with the shipping guy with me) )when it arrived in Portugal.

PHOTOS OF THE PACKAGING CONDITION:

IMG_20210601_183536 | Paulo Mesquita | Flickr

IMG_20210601_183543 | Paulo Mesquita | Flickr

IMG_20210601_184906 | Paulo Mesquita | Flickr

IMG_20210601_183601 | Paulo Mesquita | Flickr

...or maybe there is just a quality control (from all EUC manufacturers) that resembles the quality control of hand made clay pots...and not of precise vehicles that can kill us if faulty!!!!

I don't know but this needs to be investigated, fixed and I need a second wheel that doesn't almost kill me on the 1st ride!!!

PHOTO OF MY "DEAD" KS S18:

IMG_20210604_161647_848 | Paulo Mesquita | Flickr

...this sh*it sucks!!!!!

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Paulo Mesquita said:

only the front light, sometimes, when I pressed the power button, flickered once or twice, but no more.

it sounds like on of the two half packs, the ones in the back, failed. Have you charged to full before testing, was it charging to 84 volts?

just for info, the battery management of the s18 is a bit weird. A friend unplugged one of the half battery packs while changing the tyre, after pluging again the back packs would not charge. The motherboard seems to check voltages, if it finds a difference in voltage it leaves the pack out of the charging proccess. Also, if any of the back packs is unpluged, the wheel does what Paulo said, blinks the lights and that is it. It needs a reset(unlplug-empty the capacitors) and then all batteries should be connected while on the same voltage to init properly again. 

Edited by enaon
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Paulo Mesquita said:

Maybe it's a factory problem or maybe it's damage from something that happened with the shipping company and that resulted the big fist size hole on the packaging (I sent MyEWheel the photos taken with the shipping guy with me) )when it arrived in Portugal.

@Paulo Mesquita really sorry to hear this and glad to hear that you were not too badly hurt, as it could have been so much worse if not for the initial speed lock on the S18.

From the look of the photos you posted of the huge hole in the shipping box, there may well have been some unseen damage caused by a shunt to the control board/4x battery connections knocked loose etc. (or issues as described in @enaon's post above.

I do hope you get some support from MyEwheel regarding a satisfactory solution for this unfortunate failure, good luck.

Edited by fbhb
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Paulo Mesquita said:

ANOTHER KS S18 SASD STORY....

That’s really disappointing! So glad you’re ok! I feel extremely safe on my S18 but after reading your story I shot back to reality.... no wheel is 100% safe. Best wishes on resolving this matter. 

• Like 2

Wow. That’s terrible—and I’m glad you didn’t get badly damaged. It sounds to me like your control board went poof because the motor is locked up (MOSFET short circuit). I wouldn’t touch a thing, send it back. And have your credit card company reverse the charge until you’re satisfied (they probably won’t do that, but heck).

Electronics are made of individually breakable parts, and when they do break they usually break when they’re new. Since I doubt any manufacturer burns in the control boards, we get to take the risk. Sadly, there is luck (bad luck too) involved…

A local rider got face planted by his V11 due to a failed MOSFET, it wasn’t abused and had less than 1k miles on it—but a part cracked and he went down hard. Sh1t happens is one of the reasons I don’t go toooooo fast.

Heal up friend. Curse the fates and get back to rolling.

• Like 2