King Song S18 Discussion

Phong Vu

Whoa! I guess i'll consider myself lucky a received a solid batch 3 wheel. I've put mine through some pretty strenuous situations (steep inclines/descents, drops and tumbles) and have at least 1k miles on it by now. To only have experienced a failed battery is not bad at all.  

Wood, got to find some wood........... knock, knock. :mellow:

3 hours ago, NErider said:

It was "Batch 3". And I had 20 miles or less on it. This was my first wheel, so that riding was parking lots, my neighborhood and at an event at a dirt runway airport. I was going about 4 or 5mph as I approached my stopping point, leaned it back to stop and it just rotated out from under my feet. 

Prior to this, I noticed a clunk sound if I braced myself and did a "back and forth" move with the wheel for a bit. Looking back on it, it probably broke very early on, and the axle was just getting jammed up on the broken weld until it finally let completely go. 

have you or someone else saw that a weld was broken, or is it an assumtion?

What you describe could be just loose screws on the axle joint. 

Edited by enaon

1 hour ago, NErider said:

I am a fabricator by trade and a certified welder as well. It looks like a child waved a welder past the shaft while blind folded and got scared as soon as it arked then stopped welding. Haha. 

I see, thanks for the info, please do upload some pictures if you get the time. 

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, Deuce Allan said:

Anybody know how to remove the pedals on the s-18? got some new Nylonoves and want to install!!

Thanx in advance:w00t2:

First 1:08 of video.  Remove screw under peadal hanger then pop out pedal rod.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
30 minutes ago, Ro.man said:

That SR244 Won’t even fit the V11, there’s no chance it would fit in the S18. SR244 is a huge tire for being a 2.75-14.

Edited by mrelwood
  • Like 3

a friend had his s18 charging plug broken, he then tried to use it and disaster happened, the port sparked so hard that it got the pins welded together. 

We removed the short, placed the broken plastic back inside the port, and the wheel is charging fine. 

Well done Kingsong, excellent input port  short protection. 

photo_2021-08-02_05-38-44.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Wow, thanks although I think it's rather more of a "Demo Reel" than a "Review". 

I am working on a video demonstrating the different terrain it can handle as well as an almost finished video testing it out at different pump tracks both paved and dirt so stay tuned. :efee6b18f3:

How do you all feel about narration on videos vs. text on screen or just background music???

• Like 3

3 hours ago, UniBlab said:

Looking for a knobby? 5Cauac did a nice review of the IRC TR1 TR-1 Dual Sport S18 Knobby -

What a surprisingly nice video! A few things I noticed:

- The suspension of his S18 looks like it hasn’t been overhauled. The difference to a well working and sensitive suspension system would be huge in a terrain like that.

- The typical S18 motor grunt can be heard throughout the video. I wonder how close he rides to the wheel’s power limits. Grip surely wasn’t at it’s limits with that tire though!

- A regular knobby tire tilts much more in turns, and he even scraped the pedal at one slow speed turn which is quite an achievement with the S18 pedal height.

- Very refreshing to have proper human played music in an EUC video! A cool instrumental!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mrelwood said:

What a surprisingly nice video! A few things I noticed:

- The suspension of his S18 looks like it hasn’t been overhauled.  [Correct, other than a few squeaks from time to time(which I take care of with Finish Line Suspension spray) I haven't had any sticking or travel issues. I dubbed myself one of the lucky ones.] 

- The typical S18 motor grunt can be heard throughout the video. I wonder how close he rides to the wheel’s power limits. [I do accelerate a bit aggressively but the grunts are usually while accelerating up hill]  Grip surely wasn’t at it’s limits with that tire though! [True. I'm working on a video for that]

- A regular knobby tire tilts much more in turns [It felt like I had to re-learn to ride because of it], and he even scraped the pedal at one slow speed turn which is quite an achievement with the S18 pedal height. [Sadly still at medium as it was leaning way too much to the sides after changing the tire. I've gotten used to the characteristics now so I'll be going back to highest setting]  - Very refreshing to have proper human played music in an EUC video! A cool instrumental!

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, ir_fuel said:

@5Cauac, what pads did you install on the S18?

I have the Russian Pads on top of the original pads and DIY jump pads. 

Made the jump pads out of these:

980ab760-36e8-47ec-95f0-b69c807ae5a0_1.2

ProsourceFit High Density Half... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RVDLXDQ?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

• Like 2

9 hours ago, 5Cauac said:

Wow, thanks although I think it's rather more of a "Demo Reel" than a "Review". 

I am working on a video demonstrating the different terrain it can handle as well as an almost finished video testing it out at different pump tracks both paved and dirt so stay tuned. :efee6b18f3:

How do you all feel about narration on videos vs. text on screen or just background music???

I have the S18 original tire and it sucks on all terrain!!! 😣😣😣. Slippery like an eel. 

Anyone know if there is a big difference between the wheel's advertised speed and its actual speed? Yesterday I hopped on the Z10 again, after some days with the S18. Both wheels have speed alarms set at 25mph (for my safety) and I was under the impression that I went faster on the Z10 before the alarm kicked in. Darknessbot showed 25mph for both wheels, so the alarms are set correctly.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, ir_fuel said:

Anyone know if there is a big difference between the wheel's advertised speed and its actual speed? Yesterday I hopped on the Z10 again, after some days with the S18. Both wheels have speed alarms set at 25mph (for my safety) and I was under the impression that I went faster on the Z10 before the alarm kicked in. Darknessbot showed 25mph for both wheels, so the alarms are set correctly.

the speed the  s18 reports is very close to gps speed, not like past ks wheels. 

• Like 3