King Song S18 Discussion

Phong Vu

6 hours ago, enaon said:

the speed the  s18 reports is very close to gps speed, not like past ks wheels.

I can Fully agree with this, as my S18 is also extremely close to the GPS speed as reported by EUC World. I also own the Z10, so cannot agree that the Z10 reported speed feels faster!

Initially still "Baby Steps" for me but with practice, I soon hope to clear certain gaps. 😉

00:00 Intro 00:27 Kali Protectives - Morgan Hill, Ca.

01:21 Pinto Lake - Watsonville, Ca.

02:34 Calabazas Park - San Jose, Ca.

04:16 Ramsay Park - Freedom, Ca..

05:52 Harvey West Park - Santa Cruz, Ca

06:50 West Side Pump Track - Santa Cruz, Ca.

07:29 Outro - Reggae Dancing

• Like 3

Trying to figure out why honeycomb/aftermarket pedals are so scarce for this wheel....

FreeMotion has them, but they're a little shorter than stock, and I'm looking for a little longer than stock (FreeMotion was very responsive to my questions, would have bought in a heartbeat if they were longer!  Stupid size 13 feet!).  @c5flybyu, thanks for the FreeMotion suggestion.  Kai pads show up Monday!

NyloNove looks cool,  but out of stock, and over 250+ shipped, ow.

I'm seeing some on Ali-Express that should fit the bill, but thought I'd ask here if anyone had suggestions before I order and wait a month.
Thanks!

Edited by WillCO
  • Like 2

On 9/10/2021 at 7:13 PM, 5Cauac said:

Initially still "Baby Steps" for me but with practice, I soon hope to clear certain gaps. 😉

00:00 Intro 00:27 Kali Protectives - Morgan Hill, Ca.

01:21 Pinto Lake - Watsonville, Ca.

02:34 Calabazas Park - San Jose, Ca.

04:16 Ramsay Park - Freedom, Ca..

05:52 Harvey West Park - Santa Cruz, Ca

06:50 West Side Pump Track - Santa Cruz, Ca.

07:29 Outro - Reggae Dancing

Great video!!!! Looked like lots of fun!!!! Thanks for sharing.............The end was..............cool too!!!! hehehe

• Like 1

4 hours ago, WillCO said:

Trying to figure out why honeycomb/aftermarket pedals are so scarce for this wheel....

FreeMotion has them, but they're a little shorter than stock, and I'm looking for a little longer than stock (FreeMotion was very responsive to my questions, would have bought in a heartbeat if they were longer!  Stupid size 13 feet!).  @c5flybyu, thanks for the FreeMotion suggestion.  Kai pads show up Monday!

NyloNove looks cool,  but out of stock, and over 250+ shipped, ow.

I'm seeing some on Ali-Express that should fit the bill, but thought I'd ask here if anyone had suggestions before I order and wait a month.
Thanks!

Those are cool but heavier than the originals.

€ 199,90 | Kingrsong-pedales CNC personalizados para monociclo eléctrico, piezas para monociclo, KS-S18

https://a.aliexpress.com/_vD99H8

Not tested on s18, but tested on Nikola with different adaptor.  They also have them with different hex pattern.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 5Cauac said:

<snip>

A friend of mine mentioned the end was the best part of the video......and I almost did not include it as I felt it would be a little embarrassing.  :unsure:

Thanks for watching.

No reason to be embarrassed!!! Everyone on this forum gets it!!!! The genpop; not so much! Haha!

9Eb'

• Like 2

14 hours ago, ffontana said:

Those are cool but heavier than the originals.

€ 199,90 | Kingrsong-pedales CNC personalizados para monociclo eléctrico, piezas para monociclo, KS-S18

https://a.aliexpress.com/_vD99H8

Not tested on s18, but tested on Nikola with different adaptor.  They also have them with different hex pattern.

Yep, that's what's waiting in my cart.  Holding off on ordering in case I find a better alternative.
Thanks!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ir_fuel said:

Excuse my ignorance, but what do these pedals do better than the stock ones?

I can't say anything about these pedals, but basically decent spikes in pedals are the most useful upgrade/accessory for an EUC besides power/jump pads. Unless you use a EUC only to get comfortably from A to B. For offroad and other fun stuff, both are in my opinion a must have!

• Like 2

If you have no problems with your riding style that your feet do not stay where you have positioned them, then spiked pedals are superfluous for you. With my riding style I was despite Vicious Grip Tape constantly busy to move my feet back to the right place. On off-road rides of 50-70km length without a break, this was an annoying affair. With spiked pedals I have reduced this problem to 99%.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, ir_fuel said:

Excuse my ignorance, but what do these pedals do better than the stock ones?

For me, it's two-fold. I'd like longer pedals to better support my feet (they overhang the stock pedals a bit more than I'd like), and plan to do more off-road riding, so the spikes are a plus.

The honeycomb pattern is less important to me, but seems to be the way most aftermarket pedals are designed. Haven't decided if I'll ever ride in snow, so the "drainage" function of the honeycomb pedals is moot so far. 

• Like 2

Nice find. Those 50G cells are rated at 10A continuos discharge right?

I have the 1st batch wheel from the pre-order. Wonder what batteries I have in mine? Can you mix and match if the originals are 18650's?

I would love to add another 20 cells to my wheel as well. There is plenty of room to add them and the extra weight would be only 1.5kg or so as they only weight 70g/ea.

My challenge would be how to deal with the BMS & connection to the motherboard... You should really write a nice how-to! I bet there are PLENTY of guys who would love to do this... heck, even come up with a "kit" that could be used. The cells can be had for about €10 ea, some wiring and a 3D printed cover and you have your 4P setup for less than €300.

• Like 2

On 9/13/2021 at 3:42 PM, WillCO said:

For me, it's two-fold. I'd like longer pedals to better support my feet (they overhang the stock pedals a bit more than I'd like), and plan to do more off-road riding, so the spikes are a plus.

The honeycomb pattern is less important to me, but seems to be the way most aftermarket pedals are designed. Haven't decided if I'll ever ride in snow, so the "drainage" function of the honeycomb pedals is moot so far. 

I had a similar issue with the stock pedals but got used to it. I also can not justify shelling out 250 quid for new pedals, so I bought a set of MTB pedal spikes from Aliexpress and drilled / tapped them into the stock pedals. Works like a charm. Only took about 1 hour with prep and installation. All you need is a cordless drill and a tap kit.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, FinRider said:

I had a similar issue with the stock pedals but got used to it. I also can not justify shelling out 250 quid for new pedals, so I bought a set of MTB pedal spikes from Aliexpress and drilled / tapped them into the stock pedals. Works like a charm. Only took about 1 hour with prep and installation. All you need is a cordless drill and a tap kit.

Forgot to add for anyone that is interested in doing this mod, search aliexpress for "pedal studs" and you can find several hits for a kit of 50 pcs for 3-4 bucks + shipping. I believe I paid total €6 for mine delivered. Just order it and use the cold, dark winter nights to baby your wheel!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, FinRider said:

My challenge would be how to deal with the BMS & connection to the motherboard...

this is the easy part, I will explain in detail if you want. 

The hard part is to make a 3d printed case that fits 10 batteries in the form of a power pad, that looks nice and is strong. Do that, and a lot of people will be happy. :)

Edited by enaon
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/15/2021 at 2:20 AM, FinRider said:

Forgot to add for anyone that is interested in doing this mod, search aliexpress for "pedal studs" and you can find several hits for a kit of 50 pcs for 3-4 bucks + shipping. I believe I paid total €6 for mine delivered. Just order it and use the cold, dark winter nights to baby your wheel!

Pretty easy to do!  I got some 10mm long stainless mountain bike studs, drilled my holes, and "self" tapped the screws into the aluminum with Loctite to keep them from working loose (I tapped one hole, but the screw felt a bit wobbly).  Works very well.
I've adjusted them once (shorter, to give me a little more room below the Kai Pads I stuck on), and feel very locked in, without losing the ability to step off as needed.  Think I spent ~20 bucks on Amazon for the studs and shipping, tho I got extras in case I wanted to increase the density of the spikes.  Ended up with about 35 studs per pedal.  Didn't use grip tape, as it felt moot with the spikes protruding above the platform...

Edited by WillCO
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I rode the KS18 about 1000 miles already and I got my first cutouts today only at low speed trying to stop the motor after bombing down a flight of stairs. Assuming I just pulled too many amps.  I also got another cut out trying to tilt the wheel too aggressively. Currently have my tilt cut out at 55 degrees cause I'm not trying to die when making super sharp aggressive turns. So far though the thing is a beast...

• Like 2

Yep. Not my cup of tea. 18"wheels and suspensions just don't cut it for me. I still liked the S18 better than the V11, though. 

The suspension, in no way improved my knee and foot pain when riding a lot. Not worth the hassle. Actually the 16x, being a harder wheel... causes less pain. Go figure it... 

• Like 2