King Song S18 Discussion

Phong Vu

As stated above, the S18 actually has a 14" rim. And the only place I can find that tire is Amazon JP. 

They just call it S18 because overall the tire measures almost 18".

In normal motor sports the tire is almost always defined by the wheel size it fits. 

I have seen a similar tread tire that is the correct size, but I would prefer to get one that already has been proven to fit. 

I have a pre-order in for an S20, but if I had an off road tire on the S18, I'm not sure I really "need" the newest coolest wheel. The S18 already does everything I need, but occasionally slips on light mud/wet trails and wet grass. 

• Like 2

According to a product page on Aliexpress there are randomly sold two versions. One version with one valve at the damper, and one version with two valves at the damper.

Whats the difference?

PS.: This is the product page.

https://de.aliexpress.com/item/1005003093464521.html?spm=a2g0s.8937460.0.0.272c2e0evmX3FW

Edited by SilbernerSurfer

45 minutes ago, SilbernerSurfer said:

What is the latest version?

And how to rcocnize the latest version if I want to order one?

Thank you!

2 hours ago, SilbernerSurfer said:

According to a product page on Aliexpress there are randomly sold two versions. One version with one valve at the damper, and one version with two valves at the damper.

Whats the difference?

PS.: This is the product page.

https://de.aliexpress.com/item/1005003093464521.html?spm=a2g0s.8937460.0.0.272c2e0evmX3FW

I have figured it out I guess.

Seems that the 1 valve version is the newer one, and the 2 valve version is the older one.

Welcome !

First, you tear it apart and rebuild the suspension, fix the motor cables, carefully examine all soldering on the cb….JK.

Hopefully, QC did their job at KS factory. First time I aired my shock, I did it without using the spacer block. Second time I did use the block. I’m about 80kg and like to run my tire a little soft. I can make a slight dimple in it with both thumbs, or about 27psi/ 186kpa/1.86 bar.

I use spray silicone on suspension joints. I am getting psyched up to tear mine down after nine months of riding. There are extensive threads about this by @Feynman and @Rehab1

Here’s one: 

https://forum.electricunicycle.org/topic/20030-my-s18-suspension-mods/

All the best,

Oh, btw, I cheated when I started out. I pushed a shopping cart around the lonely end of a big parking lot the first four sessions on the 16s. Then I used a belt for a leash for a long time to keep the wheel from getting away from me if I had to bail.

Have fun ! Keep the rubber side down !

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, OldFartRides said:

Welcome !

First, you tear it apart and rebuild the suspension, fix the motor cables, carefully examine all soldering on the cb….JK.

Hopefully, QC did their job at KS factory. First time I aired my shock, I did it without using the spacer block. Second time I did use the block. I’m about 80kg and like to run my tire a little soft. I can make a slight dimple in it with both thumbs, or about 27psi/ 186kpa/1.86 bar.

I use spray silicone on suspension joints. I am getting psyched up to tear mine down after nine months of riding. There are extensive threads about this by @Feynman and @Rehab1

Here’s one: 

https://forum.electricunicycle.org/topic/20030-my-s18-suspension-mods/

All the best,

Oh, btw, I cheated when I started out. I pushed a shopping cart around the lonely end of a big parking lot the first four sessions on the 16s. Then I used a belt for a leash for a long time to keep the wheel from getting away from me if I had to bail.

Have fun ! Keep the rubber side down !

Thank you!

Had the same Idea with the leash. I will use a lanyard.

The shopping cart idea is great, will try it.

Tear it apart before the first ride is a huge quest.

I am not very patient. But will follow your advice. 

3 hours ago, SilbernerSurfer said:

I have ordered one from AE. Should be the newer 1 valve version.

Anything to do before the first ride? 

Any necessary mods?

This is my first EUC.

Welcome. 

To keep things simple. First mod goes to the human. To adapt to this oddly EUC thingy. 

FREE-SHIPPING-Inflatable-Bumper-Bubble-B

Now with the joke aside. Depending on how you treat you things many add some protection from early scratches to their first wheel.

How to do that on an S18 I do not know. But after a while you will realise that scratches are unavoidable so it matters less. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Unventor said:

scratches are unavoidable

Scratches and bashes are badges of honor... the only time you need it to look pretty is when it's sitting in the stand, rotating slowly in the display case under the special halogen light. Besides, the mud and dust cover everything pretty quickly so the badges of honor are hidden anyway.

@SilbernerSurfer Congratulations on your purchase! The learning curve can be super frustrating, but the wheel will reward you in kind. Keep your first sessions to 30 or so minutes with sleep in between, look where you want to go (30m straight ahead)... don't look down, and helmet + wrist guards always as an absolute bare minimum. Wrists are easily broken in low speed falls, brains don't do well with impact at all.

Edited by Tawpie
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi there,

since one week, I am a new proud S18 owner, ordered from Voltride located in Estonia. I read almost every S18 thread I could find and know about the pro and cons. I needed months to decide which unicycle to get next, after thousands of kms on my Inmotion V5F+ (the special batch from Jason) and V8F. So when the wheel arrived, I checked it for tire/fender alignment, the behavior of suspension etc.

Voltride told me, this Batch is from September 2021, Darknessbot shows "production Date march 2021" so it is one of the earlier batches, batteries are almost one year old...hmm.

The wheel is well aligned, it seems to be factory aligned by some washers they have put on the axle on both sides.
IMG_0641.thumb.jpg.23f8f14e0f02d1bdc6e63ab4bb085dc6.jpg

The suspension seems to work and is sensitive, with the deflated shock it fully expands when lifting the wheel.
When the suspension is fully pressed down, the inner screws of the linkage touch the fender on both sides. I think this is caused by design, not wrong assembling. This results in some noise, but I cannot feel the extra portion of friction. Have a look at red circle, this part rubbs against the fender when the suspension is compressed deeply.
IMG_0642.thumb.jpg.b16ce304064f5135613b38629c3d3f41.jpg

BUT after the first 20km, I noticed the linkage arms of suspension rubb against each other, there is a scratch already...there is a small amount of abrasion/dust in this area. I guess this is not the way it should behave, the new wheel already shows signs of wear after just 20km of driving.
IMG_0638.thumb.jpg.0c8bb49c37f65bfc142e4e0115aa363d.jpg

I am not sure if this could be fixed easily, I already contacted the vendor for a solution. I have a workshop and all needed tool and I am not afraid in fixing it by myself...any suggestions on how to fix this?

Thanks!
Manu!

Edited by Fahrtwind
  • Like 3

Maybe use a Dremel to abrade the area that is scratched by friction, as shown by the last picture.

Reduces the thickness slightly, creates a gap/space between the two parts scraping against each other.

Prevent further contact/scraping

Repaint afterwards to protect against corrosion.

Dremel 3000-5 F0133000JU Multifunction tool incl. accessories 5-piece 130 W  | Conrad.com

• Like 1