S18 Full Strip Down, Suspension Overhaul, Tire Upgrade, Mods and Rebuild - My Personal Comprehensive Account

fbhb

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!!

You have no idea how much this helps! You made my day! I was quite discouraged with my S18, but your guide really gave me the hope and energy I needed to plan on fixing the suspension and alignment issues!

Not to mention the other issues! (trolley handle wobble, mudguard, etc.) All issues that I also have.

It would be very, very helpful to know the sizes of the bolts in your kit! I would like to replace everything with stainless steel, as most of the current bolts have begun to rust (especially the ones used for fastening the pedals!).

To your guide I would also add changing the bearings inside the motor (I successfully replaced mine with SKF 6803 2RSH C3 and they run much smoother than the stock bearings), and to me this wheel becomes perfect! I have started to order the parts already, so hopefully next week or the following I can reserve a day or two to take my S18 apart and make all these improvements.

• Like 2

Great job !

I'll unmount this for fix batch 1 belgium. I'll probably change the tire too.. 

2 questions : 

1.: all 4 tires fit well ? 
2.: i'ld like to change all (most) screws with ALLEN head because i know by experience unmounting KS18 that KS Screws are not very resistant. Is it possible? 
I think at least it's M2 :s

Do you have tips ?

Thanx a lot.

• Like 1

On 11/19/2020 at 1:20 AM, Purplecycle said:

It would be very, very helpful to know the sizes of the bolts in your kit! I would like to replace everything with stainless steel, as most of the current bolts have begun to rust (especially the ones used for fastening the pedals!).

I have edited the original post to include All the fastener size information you requested.

Edited by fbhb
  • Like 2

On 11/20/2020 at 5:16 AM, MrP-MrF said:

1.: all 4 tires fit well ? 

I chose to fit the CST C6004 as it is the widest of the 4 tires, with the most aggressive tread apart from the knobby CST C803. Therefore I can confirm that the other 3 tires will definitely fit without issue, just as long as you are very precise with all of your alignment.

On 11/20/2020 at 5:16 AM, MrP-MrF said:

2.: i'ld like to change all (most) screws with ALLEN head because i know by experience unmounting KS18 that KS Screws are not very resistant. Is it possible? 
I think at least it's M2 :s

I have edited the original post to include All the fastener size information you requested.

Edited by fbhb
  • Like 2

Man i always thought i had a hard time taking apart and putting together the Tesla v1 for inner tube replacements or other fixes but seeing this i can appreciate how gotway has further reduced complexity when it comes to taking eucs apart.
That is not a critique of the S18 though, as this design in and of itself is quite remarkable with a lot of previously unseen solutions.

I commend you for the detailed documentation. This will help a large amount of people over the coming years i'm sure.

• Like 1

On 11/19/2020 at 7:22 PM, fbhb said:

You are the man! Much appreciated! I found most of the screws online so I will be ordering them probably this week.

On Friday I replaced most of the bearings and added washers to the suspension (without taking the wheel apart, so I missed a couple of bearings) and I can say the suspension functionality has improved by at least 40-50%. My wheel has another issue: the fender is too large, so whenever the suspension gets pushed down (almost) all the way, the inner fender rubs and the plastic chassis gets stuck. I already cut off a small part of the fender but I have to cut some more.

Anyway, thanks again for the hard work and time you put into creating this post!!

• Like 2

• fbhb changed the title to S18 Full Strip Down, Suspension Overhaul, Tire Upgrade, Mods and Rebuild - My Personal Comprehensive Account

Thank you so much for your efforts and expertise.

Unaware of the use of loctite, I managed to completely thread a few of the barrel nuts in the suspension linkage system. I'm looking to replace them and was wondering what to search for (I'm not technical at all). What would I ask for at my local hardware store or look online for when it comes to replacing the barrel nuts and bolts? Are they all the same size/length in the different pivot points? Do I ideally replace them with stainless steel or is that just for the other screws?

Again, your advice would be MOST appreciated! I'm tempted to just take the wheel over to you in NZ and pay you to work your magic! (I'm in Melbourne).  

I did not have to replace any of my barrel nuts or bolts, so did not get to/need to measure/size them. However, one of the other forum members @Feynman previously made his own topic on his S18 overhaul and included a list of the fasteners that he used. I've linked a relevant post here that should help you identify replacement options: 

On 11/28/2020 at 7:22 AM, Midlife Cricycle said:

Thank you so much for your efforts and expertise.

Unaware of the use of loctite, I managed to completely thread a few of the barrel nuts in the suspension linkage system. I'm looking to replace them and was wondering what to search for (I'm not technical at all). What would I ask for at my local hardware store or look online for when it comes to replacing the barrel nuts and bolts? Are they all the same size/length in the different pivot points? Do I ideally replace them with stainless steel or is that just for the other screws?

Again, your advice would be MOST appreciated! I'm tempted to just take the wheel over to you in NZ and pay you to work your magic! (I'm in Melbourne).  

The ones @Feynman (as mentioned by @fbhb) used are here:

https://www.amazon.com/Coupling-Connector-Threaded-Adapter-Stainless/dp/B07X9W4DS1/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=m6+x+25+coupling&qid=1600211214&s=industrial&sr=1-1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07SQLZ568/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

I also purchased both but I didn't replace all of my barrel nuts with them. I think it was the longer 25 mm ones that I didn't use because I couldn't get things to fit after adding spacers and fixing the binding - it's a bit of a puzzle because you may need more or less spacers depending on your S18. The problem with those "couplers" as they are called is I noticed that some did not seem to fit through the bearings. To remedy this, I locked them into my hand drill chuck and spun them in sandpaper until they fit well but still snug through my bearings. You don't want to have to pound them into the bearings - which in some cases in seemed KS did this with the barrel nuts.

If you need to go the coupler route, be sure you also order the proper bolts (also in @Feynman's list).

Edited by AlexIsTheBest

On 11/18/2020 at 10:52 AM, fbhb said:

It is the 2.75-14 CST C6004 and I instantly knew that I had to order one of these bad boys!

On 11/18/2020 at 10:52 AM, fbhb said:

but in my case it actually allowed me to fit a much wider tire than the stock Chao Yang H-5102.

My H-5102 i 2.72. That's 0.13" difference. There seems to be still more room. Without doing any of you mods. Do you think the C6004 still would fit? I like that it has 7 mm tread depth. Any suggestion on where to buy it?

I'd like to follow your guide/rebuild, but I have to get some help.

On 12/3/2020 at 1:23 AM, EldARon said:

My H-5102 i 2.72. That's 0.13" difference. There seems to be still more room. Without doing any of you mods. Do you think the C6004 still would fit? I like that it has 7 mm tread depth. Any suggestion on where to buy it?

I'd like to follow your guide/rebuild, but I have to get some help.

You will find that there is just enough room within the fender to fit the CST C6004, but it is All very dependant upon, firstly aligning the CST as perfectly central as possible on the rim and then aligning the wheel as perfectly central within the slider's axle mounts. 

A high level of accuracy is required for the best results, which may also involve adding shimming material to the axle mounts in order to align the wheel perfectly!  (You will no doubt find that King Song have already shimmed one side, during their assembly)

Living in New Zealand, the only source I could find for the CST C6004 was direct from China and I used the following online site:  https://www.ebuy7.com/item/559731568737

The shipping costs can increase with an additional freight cost added on and asked for after the order has been placed, so make sure to factor that in to the total cost.

Edited by fbhb
  • Like 1

This is incredibly helpful.

My wheel is in pieces waiting on a new battery pack. Which is my first real issue, after 1500 miles.  

So, now that it’s disassembled I’ll apply as many of your suggestions as my resources allow. 

Thank you very much. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...