King Song S18 Discussion

Phong Vu

@Oshintao you won't have any speed difference between the cell choices. The Molicel will have somewhat lower range, but the battery pack will experience less stress during hard use (acceleration and hard braking). The speed will be the same as speed is firmware limited.

I'm not sure eWheels ships to the Islands though, they're "US Only". I'd check with sales@ewheels.com before I got too excited.

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, Tawpie said:

@Oshintao you won't have any speed difference between the cell choices. The Molicel will have somewhat lower range, but the battery pack will experience less stress during hard use (acceleration and hard braking). The speed will be the same as speed is firmware limited.

he may get a speed increase, in the cense that the top speed of 50km/h will be available for more, since the voltage drop will be less. 

• Like 1

S18's all fixed up, big thanks to @NErider for the rim! Ended up costing only 1/3rd the price of a entire new motor assembly. And thankfully, the tire and tube are both fine.

I'm sorry little S18, I promise never to abuse you like that again.

I used a tiiiny bead of RTV to reseal the hubs. But I really hope I never have to open this motor again, I tested the RTV on my busted rim first with a spare hub and it's seriously strong. I'm not even sure how I'd get the hubs back off the repaired motor, hah.

For your viewing displeasure, the busted rim:

9dU3EBk.jpg

• Like 3
  • Sad 6

1 hour ago, dycus said:

S18's all fixed up, big thanks to @NErider for the rim! Ended up costing only 1/3rd the price of a entire new motor assembly. And thankfully, the tire and tube are both fine.

I'm sorry little S18, I promise never to abuse you like that again.

I used a tiiiny bead of RTV to reseal the hubs. But I really hope I never have to open this motor again, I tested the RTV on my busted rim first with a spare hub and it's seriously strong. I'm not even sure how I'd get the hubs back off the repaired motor, hah.

For your viewing displeasure, the busted rim:

9dU3EBk.jpg

Little bit gorilla glue and it would be as new. :efee8319ab:

• Haha 2

22 hours ago, Tawpie said:

I'm not sure eWheels ships to the Islands though, they're "US Only". I'd check with sales@ewheels.com before I got too excited.

Tawpieee :D , that’s correct I already email them, they do not ship here , I’ve already got a shipment company (that’s how I bring my things from Amazon)

off topic:  looking for full face helmet at this moment :ph34r:

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, I received an S18 with the molicel battery, great so far but my lift switch doesn't work and I'm getting suspension arms rubbing the paint off each other, I've got mine set up at 210/100 and am not completely bottoming but pretty close, I'm going to raise the pressures (I'm 215 in gear), but I can't find the pages where there was talk of getting the suspension sorted as far as the rubbing goes, I'm not terribly worried about the lift switch but it would be nice to get it sorted.  I've reached out to ewheels a week ago and they must be busy.  Thanks in advance!

Hi,

I had similar problems with the suspension arms rubbing against each other, Voltride sent me a shim which solved the Problem. 
Lift switch: of course you already checked that it is not deactivated in the Firmware, right? There is a hall sensor on the motherboard - maybe it is missaligned. Not easy to fix, you will have to open the wheel and check the alignment...I could take a picture as my wheel is taken apart at the moment...

Best regards
Manuel

Edited by Fahrtwind

18 hours ago, Fahrtwind said:

Hi,

I had similar problems with the suspension arms rubbing against each other, Voltride sent me a shim which solved the Problem. 
Lift switch: of course you already checked that it is not deactivated in the Firmware, right? There is a hall sensor on the motherboard - maybe it is missaligned. Not easy to fix, you will have to open the wheel and check the alignment...I could take a picture as my wheel is taken apart at the moment...

Best regards
Manuel

Duh, I'm so dumb, the lift switch was not activated in EUC World, all better now!  I will try to source the shim, I really appreciate your help!!

• Like 1

Well after 6 years with wheels from Inmotion - my V5f ist still alive after thousands of km and is driven by my children instantly - I am not sure if I made right brand decision with Kingsong. Next problem... The Batteries are well balanced. So I guess it is a motherboard problem.

No way to charge my wheel, no Answer from voltride.eu since one week. Thinking about buying a new motherboard on my own. Nice weather outside. Quite frustrated. So my V8F will help...

I never had any problems with mine. However I did take mine apart to check for broken bearings. ( 1st batch problem) When I put it back together I think I added a few thin washers/spacers. I thought I lost them or put them in the wrong place and simply added a few more. …??? 

After the first week of setup, all I have done is charge and adjust tire pressure. I haven’t even done a thing with the suspension. Not even pumped it up.  

@dycus This week I literally discovered this on my cases too. Doesn't seem to take a hard knock either as mine has only been dropped in situ or going very slow . I have no idea when it occurred but the batteries seem to be ok and its been good to see your confirmation so thank you for posting and taking the time out to look. Apparently this is an issue and has been posted on this forum in Dec 2020 but I missed seeing that until I came across my issue. I sanded mine down too and added a little silicon rubber just to add as a cushion, though it probably isn't really needed. 

• Like 1

What are the usual issues that come up with the S18? I’ve been riding a 16X for over a year and just bought the S18 Special Edition. I’ve enjoyed riding the 16X but decided I couldn’t use it off-roading because it was always blowing it’s fuses when I took jumps. I know that it’s probably how I’m jumping—leaning back too much on landing— but replacing the fuses was such a pain, and I ultimately decided to stop taking the 16X off road. I’m hoping I can take the S18 off-road without having to worry about things like the fuses blowing like the 16X. Are there other things similar to blown fuses I have to watch out for?

14 minutes ago, gordonjl said:

Are there other things similar to blown fuses I have to watch out for?

Maybe the SE will be better, but the S18 only has 3 batteries in parallel rather than 4 like your 16X. This means it's simply not able to deliver the same amount of current, so the non-SE version developed a reputation for being 'weak' and 'under torqued'. It will be interesting to hear how much the SE addresses this… personally I don't have any additional issues with torque on my S18 but I don't push it real hard (I don't climb around in rock gardens—yet). Other than that, get your suspension set up properly and there shouldn't be anything special to watch out for.

If blowing fuses on the 16X is due to how you're landing your jumps, the S18 all by itself isn't going to fix that. You'll want to experiment with your jump pads I think, to help you keep the wheel level in flight. <-- that advice is from a rider that doesn't catch much air!!!

Edited by Tawpie
  • Like 1

If you live in a warm dry or warm wet climate then you are probably good to go. If on the other hand you live in a place that rains a lot and is often damp or you plan on riding in the rain a lot then I would substitute the screws and hex nuts to stainless steel. 

On 5/15/2022 at 10:32 AM, Tawpie said:

Maybe the SE will be better, but the S18 only has 3 batteries in parallel rather than 4 like your 16X. This means it's simply not able to deliver the same amount of current, so the non-SE version developed a reputation for being 'weak' and 'under torqued'.

Incorrect.  This is due to the fact he got the special edition, which has molicel batteries.  These SHOULD have significantly higher amperage.  The basic cells are rated for MAXIMUM of 10 amps.  The molicel batteries are rated for a maximum of 40 amps. Since current is measured in amps, the SE edition has 3-4x the current.  Since the current is higher, there will be less drop in voltage as the motor pulls power.   Also, since the packs are PARALELL, all that adds is more capacity.  (IE a 100 HP engine with a 5 gallon tank vs a 7 gallon tank).

With the SIGNIFICANT decrease in resistance, 60 molicel batteries will put out SIGNIFICANTLY more amperage than 80 LG batteries.  Granted, there is a slight loss in overall capacity, but I think with the high current draws of these motors, it will actually equate to a longer ride. (in theory).  Mine will be here tomorrow, and I'll be able to run some additional tests.

Edited by kiitick
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, kiitick said:

Mine will be here tomorrow, and I'll be able to run some additional tests.

I am seriously considering upgrading my S18 with the Molicel Packs so your tests would be greatly appreciated.

I'm just waiting for Jason at Ewheels to get them in or someone to convince me it's not worth the $1010.00 price tag for the full upgrade.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, RagingGrandpa said:

Don't throw away good batteries... howabout resell your standard S18 for $1500 to a local beginner, and buy a new P42A S18 for $2200. 

+ He get's everything new/shinny. :D Much better deal vs just getting batteries. Doh 1500$ sounds to expensive.. You can get new for ~1900..

Edited by Funky

2 hours ago, kiitick said:

These SHOULD hand significantly higher amperage

Correct, they 'should'. That's making an assumption that the KS firmware will permit use of the additional current available in the battery pack. In other words, if the firmware is limiting the max current delivered to the motor, having a more capable battery might not help. However, if the firmware is basing its decisions on the battery voltage, the Molicels should be a very nice upgrade.

@dycus… have you noticed any difference? Do the new packs actually increase the thrust? How bad is the range penalty?

I too am on the please-notify list when the $1k Molicel packs are in stock at eWheels, but am also waiting to commit.

• Like 1