King Song S18 Discussion

Phong Vu

30 minutes ago, Fahrtwind said:

I want to install the new S18 Motherboard. The beeper is not soldered onto the board anymore - where do I have to put the beeper? 
Thanks in advance!

EEDC74A1-8290-4186-B957-99A65C0C1BAB.jpeg

Doesn't "new" board have the same spot? It's not soldered, but simply plugged in.. Can't you unplug it from old board and simply plug it in new board? Is the new board different?

47 minutes ago, Fahrtwind said:

I want to install the new S18 Motherboard. The beeper is not soldered onto the board anymore - where do I have to put the beeper? 
Thanks in advance!

EEDC74A1-8290-4186-B957-99A65C0C1BAB.jpeg

it was never soldered on the s18 as far as I know. There is a place forged for it, right next to the motor cable hole.

Edited by enaon

Yes the spot is still there. I can‘t remember the old board - I sent it back to my reseller weeks ago…If you look the KS Howto YouTube Video, the beeper is soldered to the place close to the cable hole…

2B2DF806-D03E-42BE-8CF0-22C84B0621C5.jpeg

6 minutes ago, Fahrtwind said:

If you look the KS Howto YouTube Video, the beeper is soldered to the place close to the cable hole…

you are correct, I just watched it again. This must be a batch one I guess, I have never seen one soldered, from 2 years back to latest, all have the cable. 

just place it here:
image.thumb.jpeg.f4ef6801e26292bf6c3d3d942a39acd9.jpeg

Edited by enaon
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Fahrtwind said:

Ok. But - where sits the beeper. Do I have to put it under the mainboard? It is to thick to put it in the gap visible in my first pic 

have a look at the image above, this is what I meant by "a place for it next to the cable hole"

Edited by enaon

Sorry, missed that post! Ok. But the cable is very short and will be squeezed by the Aluminium part underneath. This can’t be the correct way to install it 

5AEEB51E-D1A6-4FE9-B6E4-49B465735ACE.jpeg

Edited by Fahrtwind

7 minutes ago, Fahrtwind said:

But the cable is very short and will be squeezed by the Aluminium part underneath. This can’t be the correct way to install it 

you are again correct, I just checked with a new board on the old frame. My new board has the buzzer soldered to the same place as the one on your picture, no plug exist, but the cable is short, and the position is too far back, no way it can be installed on the old frame. Maybe they have changed something in the frame to accommodate for this?

Edited by enaon
  • Like 1

Thank you again! I pushed it in the pocket close to the board beeper connector with some force…the beeper has a plastic housing. I will need a tool to get it out again - hopefully I never have to reinstall a mainboard…

• Like 1

She is alive and charging! :w00t2: But just for the records - I spent one hour to fit the Mainboard to the top frame. Whatever I tried, I couldn’t install the top cover. The rear holes of the cover didn’t match the thread of the Aluminium frame. The enlightenment came after a cup of coffee. Just for the records:

DBA2B841-5576-475A-8970-104C7C9C02C7.thumb.jpeg.7662490a62dead46a592d4c2d61c4dc5.jpeg
How stupid is this? I had to break away 3-5mm of the mainboard! There was a predetermined breaking point. I have no clue why KS delivers boards with this trip hazard! In bed just after midnight…

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

hello,

my first post on here after lurking on here for a bit.

my s18 came without the metal block between the pedals. I am changing my tire so when it comes time to reassemble the pedals how do I ensure that I am not over tightening them ? over doing it causes the shocks to bind right ?(the block for the setting the shocks is not the same block is it ?)

• Like 1

What's the highest board and motor temps you're ever seen on your S18? Bonus points if you have the Molicels.

In my experience riding mine, the wheel stays ice cold. The most I've ever seen is 37C for the control board and 64C for the motor. This was a 14C and 41C rise over ambient.
Marty taking it up overheat hill never broke 55C control board temp. The manual says the max is 80C and 120C before tiltback.

I think the wheel could handle a decent boost in current, like 20%. Could make it pretty sporty!

I sent eWheels a message about it, I wonder if they could convince Kingsong to work on a custom firmware.

Edited by dycus

When I jammed my wheel's tire with mud, it went all the way up to almost 70c. Other than that, the only time I've gotten it to get toasty was doing repeated mountain climbs which put it in the mid to high 50s.

7 hours ago, dycus said:

What's the highest board and motor temps you're ever seen on your S18? Bonus points if you have the Molicels.

In my experience riding mine, the wheel stays ice cold. The most I've ever seen is 37C for the control board and 64C for the motor. This was a 14C and 41C rise over ambient.
Marty taking it up overheat hill never broke 55C control board temp. The manual says the max is 80C and 120C before tiltback.

I think the wheel could handle a decent boost in current, like 20%. Could make it pretty sporty!

I sent eWheels a message about it, I wonder if they could convince Kingsong to work on a custom firmware.

The temps you see is what everybody gets, the s18 runs cold.
BUT, there is a but :)
the temperature probe on the s18 is not on the board, (like on gotways/sherman, that gets temp from the acellerator chip), it is a dedicated probe on the frame, so the temps you see are not board temps, but heatsink temps. It really makes no point comparing values from the s18 to any veteran/gotway wheel. 

No way it can go to 120celcius on the heatsink I think (chips on the board will fail before that), are you sure about this? Can you post that part of the manual?

Edited by enaon
  • Like 1

Ah, sorry, I wasn't very clear. I meant tiltback occurs at 80C board (heatsink) temp or 120C motor temp.

Measuring the heatsink seems decent, though I wish manufacturers would put probes right on top of the MOSFETs. I wonder where on the heatsink it actually probes. Still, I think we could safely squeeze more current through the S18 in most conditions.

Edited by dycus
  • Like 1