King Song S18 Discussion

Phong Vu

9 minutes ago, ffontana said:

Now I have all my cells glued together to avoid vibrations.

me too, I am not saying it s not a problem, I just say it is not always the same one, I have seen many type, damage on the measurement circuit due to the plastic ring bending the battery case on old bms is very common too.  

• Upvote 1

September 2022 s18 SE (molicel version). Has anyone heard anything about the availability of the latest batch of s18 molicels? It is listed as being available late September, but I understand timelines slip. I am not sure how often ewheels updates their website listings, but I would think it would be an invaluable service to update them as information becomes available (but maybe they already do).

I reserved one on ewheels.com but do not want to bug them if someone on here has already done so.

• Like 1

I’ve now put on about 1500 miles on my S18 and have recently started getting wobbles when braking hard or going down steep down hills (think mountain roads) at around 18+ Mph. The wobbles have only recently started after I updated to the latest firmware. Has anyone else seen this?

More background: I recently had an angle cutout at a pump track because of a bug in DarknessBot. While trying to diagnose this, Kingsong told me to upgrade my firmware. I did this, checked all of the bolts on the axel, pedal hangers and suspension, and then recalibrated the wheel. Now whenever I ride these steep inclines the wobbles kick in severely and it is a struggle to not get tossed of the wheel. I’ve never experienced wobbles of any kind before this, so I am puzzled. 

I’ve got pads on my wheel, I have a K66 tire that is well aligned (I’ve varied the tire pressure quite a bit bit that doesn’t seem to affect the wobbles), I’ve played with the pedal angles and my foot placement. I have pads on the wheel. 

The three things that have changed are: 1) I had the slow speed crash. 2) I updated the firmware. 3) I added the Nylolove pedals about the same time (which feel awesome). The wobbles are really perplexing. 

2 minutes ago, Ksmack said:

I’ve now put on about 1500 miles on my S18 and have recently started getting wobbles when braking hard or going down steep down hills (think mountain roads) at around 18+ Mph. The wobbles have only recently started after I updated to the latest firmware. Has anyone else seen this?

More background: I recently had an angle cutout at a pump track because of a bug in DarknessBot. While trying to diagnose this, Kingsong told me to upgrade my firmware. I did this, checked all of the bolts on the axel, pedal hangers and suspension, and then recalibrated the wheel. Now whenever I ride these steep inclines the wobbles kick in severely and it is a struggle to not get tossed of the wheel. I’ve never experienced wobbles of any kind before this, so I am puzzled. 

I’ve got pads on my wheel, I have a K66 tire that is well aligned (I’ve varied the tire pressure quite a bit bit that doesn’t seem to affect the wobbles), I’ve played with the pedal angles and my foot placement. I have pads on the wheel. 

The three things that have changed are: 1) I had the slow speed crash. 2) I updated the firmware. 3) I added the Nylolove pedals about the same time (which feel awesome). The wobbles are really perplexing. 

All mental.. :D Maybe you got "scared" after that crash and now don't trust the wheel.

Try recalibrating the wheel again. Put it on stand, so it's all even/leveled..

Did you put the K66 recently? You changed the pedals - which may have little bit different angle and what not. (Even little bit, can change whole game.)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Funky said:

Did you put the K66 recently? You changed the pedals - which may have little bit different angle and what not. (Even little bit, can change whole game.)

I’ve ridden the K66 for about 800 miles so far without problems. I’ve got the tire well centered and balanced (no tire wobble). 

I’ll try some more pedal angle settings to see if that improves things. 

(The funny think about the crash is that now I feel more confident on the wheel! I think I’m just glad to experience/get my first cut off out of the way). 

Edited by Ksmack

2 hours ago, Ksmack said:

The wobbles are really perplexing. 

Only other thing I would check is the play in the wheel. If you grab it and try to move it side to side. Any noticeable play? I haven't updated to the new firmware. The forces exerted by braking might be causing something to twist or go out of alignment maybe check axel by removing the bolts and reinstalling (broken bolt?) that might not be picked up depending how you checked the bolts. Very odd indeed. Sorry this isn't much help.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Brahan Seer said:

Only other thing I would check is the play in the wheel. If you grab it and try to move it side to side. Any noticeable play? I haven't updated to the new firmware. The forces exerted by braking might be causing something to twist or go out of alignment maybe check axel by removing the bolts and reinstalling (broken bolt?) that might not be picked up depending how you checked the bolts. Very odd indeed. Sorry this isn't much help.

I actually realigned the tire and checked all the axle bolts/retightened everything. Still no bueno. :(

11 minutes ago, The Brahan Seer said:

@KsmackDo you experience the same issue if you lock out the suspension?

I haven’t tried that. I’ve got a Rockshox shock on. I can’t completely lock out the suspension, but I can stiffen it quite a bit. I’ll do some testing this afternoon and try it out. 

23 minutes ago, 5Cauac said:

Loose suspension definitely compounds wobbles. I also did not see a mention on tire pressure. Low PSI also will contribute greatly to wobbles.

Didn't low PSI remove wobbles? High PSI would feel like riding on knife edge, resulting in more wobbles. (At least for me at lower psi wheels feels more stable.. At beginning i could not go over 28psi at all. Now i can ride 35 without any issues. I personally still like ~30.)

He did mention: (I’ve varied the tire pressure quite a bit bit that doesn’t seem to affect the wobbles)

• Like 2

I typically run my wheel at 30-34psi if I’m going to the bike park or going down stairs. I’ve never had wobbles at these pressures before. I lowered the tire to 27 psi, but still get wobbles. I’m 200lbs including gear. 

42 minutes ago, 5Cauac said:

Loose suspension definitely compounds wobbles. I also did not see a mention on tire pressure. Low PSI also will contribute greatly to wobbles.

What do you mean by loose suspension? Do you mean are all the bolts on the linkages tight, or do you mean is the suspension locked out/stiff? The bolts are snug on the suspension (I don’t want to over tighten them and introduce friction). A while back I also fixed my suspension by aligning the sliders in the tubes so there isn’t any friction (following the suspension overhaul tutorials). It is much smoother now. I wonder if that could be contributing to the wobbles?

4 minutes ago, Ksmack said:

What do you mean by loose suspension? Do you mean are all the bolts on the linkages tight, or do you mean is the suspension locked out/stiff? The bolts are snug on the suspension (I don’t want to over tighten them and introduce friction). A while back I also fixed my suspension by aligning the sliders in the tubes so there isn’t any friction (following the suspension overhaul tutorials). It is much smoother now. I wonder if that could be contributing to the wobbles?

Sorry, what I meant was a really soft suspension. This is why the suggestion of locking it out was mentioned. You may also want to play around with your foot positioning and /or posture while riding. Having your feet positioned too much to either the front or back of the pedal will effect your center of gravity. Set up a camera to view youself from the side as you ride or pay attention to your shadow. If you see you are leaning too much forward or back that is contributing to the the wobbles.

• Like 1

And you mentioned just changing pedals—the Nylonoves are a teeny bit different than stock. I'd try different foot positions etc. (I recently got a set and yes, they're very fun to have, I'm not certain they're "better" than my Fish inserts, but they sure do look swell!)

• Like 2

@Ksmack Its good to know you have found the solution. As you learn the new muscle memory and get used to the changes you made you will be able to adjust everything again to your liking. Thank you for sharing your insights with us. This is useful to know that despite our experience, making changes can make a big difference to our riding skill. Until we get used to it again.

• Like 1

That is actually heartening news! I ordered one of the upcoming batch of molicel s18s from ewheels and was wondering what I would have to do to make it smooth. Based on your experience, I at least know what to look out for. Given that I weigh all of 130 dripping wet with clothes on, I want as little binding as possible. Thank you for the post, and keep us updated!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Tawpie said:

With the suspension disconnected, there's still a fair amount of stickshun in the sliders. The linkage wasn't helping but it's not the main cause... it's not like the sliders are misaligned, once they get moving they move easily but getting them to start moving is less than ideal. I'm going to have to noodle on that—hints are appreciated! I wonder if there's phnee† inside the sliders, the dust seals are kind of a joke.

For me I had to loosen the outer axle bolts. I loosened all four outer bolts until they were no longer snug and checked to see if the suspension moved smoothly (no hitches). The bottom shock pin needs to be disconnected. I started tightening the bolts one by one, checking if the suspension kept moving smoothly. For my wheel on the right side (non motor cable side) it was the back outer bolt that needs to be kept looser and the front one can be tightened. On the right side it is the front bolt that needs to be slightly looser and the back one can be tightened. Of course it could be different for you. 

I was surprised at what a big difference this makes on the small bump sensitivity when I got it working. 

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Ksmack said:

For my wheel on the right side (non motor cable side) it was the back outer bolt that needs to be kept looser and the front one can be tightened. On the right side it is the front bolt that needs to be slightly looser and the back one can be tightened.

having the bolts loose it not a good solution I think, it just means that you should shim it. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, enaon said:

having the bolts loose it not a good solution I think, it just means that you should shim it. 

Is there a torque spec or recommendation for the axel bolts? I have a thing about torquing bolts that keep important parts on...

• Like 1