King Song S18 Discussion

Phong Vu

Well that was surprisingly depressing. Sincerely hope this product isn’t rushed In order to protect the sales margin lost if the V11 made it out first. Will patiently wait for more info but two grand is a lot of money to gamble with. If it was my business I personally wouldn’t be shipping wheels to reviewers unless my product was somewhat ready to go (minor issues I would ensure the reviewers knew about). Doesn’t need to be rock solid but has to inspire confidence. Perhaps this was a lemon. I’ll hold my judgement for now but if this release goes badly awry I would argue that it will prove somewhat disastrous for their brand and I enjoy Kingsong products and do not want to see that happen. More brands, more completion, more innovation - that’s the beauty of the free market. Knowing that they are watching these early reviews I hope they tweak some things...

Edited by EUChristian
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

Wow, Speedyfeet’s review was very detailed and honest in both it’s criticism and in showcasing the virtues of the S18. Great job, Ian! Can’t wait for his V11 review!

Over 30 minutes long too!  But the time passed really quickly as to not feel anywhere near that long, due to how interesting Ian made his review.

• Like 1

@Jack King Song has posted the following on Ian's YouTube video, in response to the concern's raised in the video and also by myself via Facebook:

King Song International

Thank you for your video Ian!

1. We've done tests to ensure that the wheel does not break if you do end up crashing it, it is by no means fragile. There's videos of China's EUC champion doing stunts and dropping his wheel without issue.
2. We understand the padding glue issues, and this issue will be focused on final production.
3. Rubbing issue: The tire isn't the tire we are using for preproduction isn't the same as final production, we are well aware of this issue and this issue will be fully addressed.
4. We'll get in touch with the Darknessbot team to support the S18.

Thanks! Jack-KS
Edited by fbhb
  • Like 3

51 minutes ago, fbhb said:

@Jack King Song has posted the following on Ian's YouTube video, in response to the concern's raised in the video and also by myself via Facebook:

King Song International

Thank you for your video Ian!

1. We've done tests to ensure that the wheel does not break if you do end up crashing it, it is by no means fragile. There's videos of China's EUC champion doing stunts and dropping his wheel without issue.
2. We understand the padding glue issues, and this issue will be focused on final production.
3. Rubbing issue: The tire isn't the tire we are using for preproduction isn't the same as final production, we are well aware of this issue and this issue will be fully addressed.
4. We'll get in touch with the Darknessbot team to support the S18.

Thanks! Jack-KS

Appreciate the update Jack. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, FinRider said:

I on the other hand strongly disagree! These ”issues” have nothing to do with a ”rush-job”. 

Keep in mind that this is a ”pre-production” version or ”demo” version (this was mentioned several times in the review). A manufacturer does this always, they run a batch that is called the 0-series, meaning they want to check that the end result of the assembly is acceptable, so the ”problems” encountered can be recognized and addressed prior to the start of mass production.

2 assembly related issues were caught in this review. The tire rubbing and the loose panel where the glue failed. KS is aware of this (at least after watching this review) and can thus adress it. The app-battery glitch was embarrassing, but also to be expected in an early pre-production release.

The only ”negative” from this review is the wobbles under breaking. The cause was identified and I bet that adding padding for support higher up on the leg will resolve this as mentioned by Ian.

Excellent and honest review of the New Kingsong. In my opinion it works as promised, can’t wait for the 250km and 1000km reviews.

I absolutely see your point, but I stand by my comment that if it turns out to be a rush job it hurts their business model.  Do you agree? Would you agree with me the 16x was rushed?  I’m guessing you would not but I could be wrong. I accept some things minor things will always be wrong on early models but since we both have an opinion on what is acceptable I doubt we would ever agree on that point, which helps drive healthy debate.  I frankly agree with Atlas P that the 16x was rushed and I enjoy Kingsong products so not at all trying to pick at them. Quite simply if I spend 2 grand on a device I want it to work well, not necessarily perfect, out of the box and I personally believe that is a fair requirement. Several arguments in this thread based around the subjectivity of this point in this thread so I will not rehash this again. 

My post was more a projection of worry than judgement. We will have to wait and see. I would not send a model in this condition regardless of whether it was labeled pre-production or not, for a real review.  If I was I would also send a list of noted items being worked on. It’s been how long since Kuji had one...a month now?  Wouldn’t you fix the panel issue with duct tape or super glue if nothing else so you eased peoples minds?  Just conjecture here but I think that’s pretty fair. 

To be honest I will wait to see how the first batch looks before ordering now - so they have not lost a customer. However I’ve personally lost some confidence around the preorder and perhaps on any company releasing a new model. 

Joshua

Edited by EUChristian
  • Like 3

to be honest, how they announced the rakes of the S18, seems to be a rushed job to steal the thunder from inmotion. 

Not that I think that's not a valid thing,  but if its just done to damper the competition and not genuinely planned out properly, it can do more harm then good.

At least we know inmotion seemed to have better organisation and polish (not hard compared to other EUC companies).

Hopefully we will know later down the road when the batches ship in and prove whether kingsong can walk the walk and not just talk.

Edited by onizukagto
  • Like 3

Actually by the way things are going, it looks more like Inmotion has rushed their presentation to match Kingsong.  (Changing the V11 pedal height is certainly no small change!) Inmotion has better "polish" but more history of major issues, which they are much more slow and reluctant to fix. I'd rather get panels falling off a sturdy and reliable wheel than a polished piece of s..t that'd kill me without warning.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, tim716 said:

I honestly don't understand all the scepticism. We all know that KingSong is no Mercedes Benz and they don't have the attention to details as of Maybach premium models. I expected such MINOR issues like pads falling off and the tire rubbing. (By the way, 18" Stridas rub their forward tires on some screw and are still very popular anyways). I can bet issues like that will be still present in early production wheels. But we also know that Kingsong also avoided MAJOR (that is rendering the wheel unusable and/or dangerous for riders) issues in their new wheels so far. This is the most important thing. If, for example, we saw a high speed cut off, a broken suspension or the shock shot into the riders' anus - that've been a completely different story. I hope (and am rather sure) Kingsong is focusing on THAT. And these small issues will be eventually sorted out via the warranty and recalls. 

So, nothing awful so far.

I agree - nothing awful so far. All personal opinions so far and that’s what you get when you release videos so far out to generate buzz. What’s best for the consumer is best for the company and I look forward to the actual production model shoring this up. I would have tested the tire before I sent it, the panels before I sent it and if I knew I had issues with this early model I would have sent a sheet detailing that so the reviewers took that into consideration. Wouldn’t you?

Panels falling off doesn’t strike me as minor, but that’s my point...each of us has our own scale in our heads of what is acceptable at this stage. I hardly think this is a Mercedes. But frankly I need a Honda. 

I will continue waiting and watching. 

Cheers folks!

Edited by EUChristian
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, tim716 said:

Actually by the way things are going, it looks more like Inmotion has rushed their presentation to match Kingsong.  (Changing the V11 pedal height is certainly no small change!) Inmotion has better "polish" but more history of major issues, which they are much more slow and reluctant to fix. I'd rather get panels falling off a sturdy and reliable wheel than a polished piece of s..t that'd kill me without warning.

I didn’t see it that way but this is a good point. Probably they were both rushing. Suspension is the game changer for me and many others. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Unventor said:

Also my 1st batch track record with KS (KS18L and KS16X) is not impressive. So I wouldn't buy a 1st batch KS anymore. My personal opinion after experience owning 2 1st batch KS wheels. I have more trust in IM getting it right, no matter what others say about this. As long I can cruise at 30-35 kmh safely I am happy. I don't need 50+kmh at all. 

Getting a 1st batch anything generally is not a wise decission. I have done it with a couple of cars in the past and all of them ended up having several early recalls.

imho the suspension wheels are for early adopters who ”need” it for their off-road riding. Everyone else should take a chill pill and play the waiting game. Unless you are ready to live with the possible headaches these wheels might induce. 

i need a new wheel, but I will let someone else be the guinea pig (and possibly blow their 2k €£$)... so many guys want the suspension wheels so it will be a buyers market to pick up some used 18” wheels soon :)