KingSong 16X 1554Wh 2200W 16*3in (Released July 2019)

Jean eRide.ie Community

And finally to add on to this fast charging topic... 

We always worry about charging, but we forget that the battery also discharges.

If you look at your wheel app whilst riding, you will see the different amounts of amps being discharged as you ride.

We are so afraid to charge at 5A and yet we forget that our wheels are discharging at double digit figures constantly

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Pengloong said:

I always connect charge cable to my turned off wheels first, then to the wall socket before switching on to charge. Have done the same for IPS,  Kingsong and Gotway wheels. Have never had any issue.....yet !!!!!

MSuper V2 sparks if connected this way. The charger must be plugged into wall socket before connecting to MSuper V2 in order to avoid spark. The King Song 18XL manual recommends connecting charger to wheel first, then connect charger to wall socket.

1 hour ago, Garrie Lim said:

You are wrong unfortunately. 

KS16X is a 72V system.  20S6P

Yes you are right regarding full charge when we series cells together we increase voltage, hence 20 x4.2V =84.0V

However in this case where charging of batteries is the question, we need to look at the overall capacity of the whole system.  

When you parallel cells together, capacity(Ah) increases. Hence 6P: 6x3.5ah=21Ah

So you can think of the whole system as just one big cell that is 21ah. And as a general rule, standard charge is 0.5C

so 21/2=10.5

And we can safely say you can charge the whole system at 10amp/hr and it is still considered “standard” charging. Not fast charging. 

The only other question you have to ask is whether the wiring inside the wheel is able to handle the amount of amps you are pumping thru. The batteries may be able to handle 10amps and not break a sweat, but the wiring may not. 

@Garrie Lim my apologies your are obviously correct 20 cells in series only increases the total Voltage output not the amperage available.  Your calculation of the 10.5 amp max charging rate at 0.5C is correct - sorry for any confusion to others.

Regards - Bruno

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, bruno356 said:

@Garrie Lim my apologies your are obviously correct 20 cells in series only increases the total Voltage output not the amperage available.  Your calculation of the 10.5 amp max charging rate at 0.5C is correct - sorry for any confusion to others.

Regards - Bruno

No worries. I took a long time to learn about such stuff. I’m no expert myself. 

1 hour ago, DragonFZ said:

I'm glad you guys are able to calculate voltage and amps... but

Screenshot_1.jpg

I understand what you mean. I am not sure I am best at explaining this, but here goes. 

Batteries have a working interval, looking at numbers above, the KS16X have 84V at top voltages, but as battery is discharge the voltage drops. It drops down to a point where you hit 72V. At that point you cannot discharge it further without chemical damaging the battery. As you charge it back up the voltage raises back to 84V this is the way to see it is fully charged.

Or that is the principle. I don't go into "correct" numbers as I am not 100% of specs and build of the KS16X, and I only uses my EUC in that sense I am nor a tech freaky on these. I can get very theoretical and loads of math involved. On the road it matters less to me. 

Only real thing you need to keep in mind is the power (watts) a motor can get is volt times amps , but since amps is more or less constant, the volts you can pull get lower as battery discharges.

This is important , because it means the motor cannot get as much power on close to empty battery, and if you try to pull too much power in accelerating fast of riding high speeds, the motor will not keep up or you can get a cut out. this result in loss of balance and you would normally end up on the ground. Another important thing is most EUCs generates power to battery when breaking or you hold back speed when going downhill. If battery is fully charged then it cannot dump this power anywhere, resulting in an overcharge cut out, end resulting loss of balance and likely you on the ground.

You can find more and others explaining the above in dynamics of EUC section. But since you are new here to the forum, I took this side topic here. 

If you like to discuss this more lets take this under the general section/thread.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Unventor said:

I understand what you mean. I am not sure I am best at explaining this, but here goes. 

Batteries have a working interval, looking at numbers above, the KS16X have 84V at top voltages, but as battery is discharge the voltage drops. It drops down to a point where you hit 72V. At that point you cannot discharge it further without chemical damaging the battery. As you charge it back up the voltage raises back to 84V this is the way to see it is fully charged.

Or that is the principle. I don't go into "correct" numbers as I am not 100% of specs and build of the KS16X, and I only uses my EUC in that sense I am nor a tech freaky on these. I can get very theoretical and loads of math involved. On the road it matters less to me. 

Only real thing you need to keep in mind is the power (watts) a motor can get is volt times amps , but since amps is more or less constant, the volts you can pull get lower as battery discharges.

This is important , because it means the motor cannot get as much power on close to empty battery, and if you try to pull too much power in accelerating fast of riding high speeds, the motor will not keep up or you can get a cut out. this result in loss of balance and you would normally end up on the ground. Another important thing is most EUCs generates power to battery when breaking or you hold back speed when going downhill. If battery is fully charged then it cannot dump this power anywhere, resulting in an overcharge cut out, end resulting loss of balance and likely you on the ground.

You can find more and others explaining the above in dynamics of EUC section. But since you are new here to the forum, I took this side topic here. 

If you like to discuss this more lets take this under the general section/thread.

I’m waiting for his reply. Because I know what he is trying to get at. 

Thank you... I read the marketing and thought it was an absolute. I really don't understand the math behind this, but I'm learning. If I cannot go by advertised Voltage, can I compare EUC by the estimated speed and range?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DragonFZ said:

If I cannot go by advertised Voltage, can I compare EUC by the estimated speed and range?

Range is pure lies, too. It highly depends on the speed and rider. A nice rule of thumb is 1000Wh = 50km/30mi (for an ~80kg/180lbs rider at 30-35kph/19-22mph) which is 20Wh/km (33Wh/mi), and other battery capacities are proportional to that. Compare that to what the manufacturers advertise (60kg rider at 15kph is their excuse).

Speed is reliable info. Just don't confuse an absolute top speed at 100% battery with a normal riding speed over the course of a ride. E.g. Kingsong wheels with 50kph speed limit (like the 16X will presumably have) are not good if you actually wanted to ride 50kph. Because you'll constantly hit the alarm/tiltback then. Or a V8 (30kph top) is closer to a 25kph wheel in practice, because the top speed reduces with the battery charge. So remove 10%-20% from the top speed for a realistic speed that you'll actually safely ride with a given wheel.

By the way, ewheels charts are full of errors, don't put too much importance into some single number when comparing. Just ask here:) Real life experience is all that matters for EUCs anyways.

(You didn't mention it, but incline numbers are the most meaningless of them all. Ignore them completely.)

34 minutes ago, DragonFZ said:

I really don't understand the math behind this, but I'm learning.

Here's an example of battery math (for the 16X). The size of the 16X battery is

20 * 3.7V * 6 * 3500mAh = 74V * 21Ah = 1554Wh [= "1600Wh"]

[1 Ampere * 1 Volt = 1 Watt]

The battery pack is made of 6 blocks of 20 cells, the nominal ("average" from full to empty) voltage of a cell is 3.7V, and each cell has a capacity of 3500mAh. That gives a nominal voltage of the battery pack of 74V and a capacity of 21Ah. Multiply it to get the 1554Wh number for the battery size.

Arguments about this number are because people use different numbers. Is the nominal voltage of a cell 3.6V or 3.7V? Is the cell capacity 3500mAh or 3450mAh? (In the 16X case, it's 3500mAh cells, on Gotways, it is not.) Should we call this a 74V wheel (by nominal voltage of the battery) or a 84V wheel (by maximal voltage of the battery, which is 4.2V per cell, and 20*4.2V is 84V)? Is "1600Wh" lying or just some rounding for ease of use? Etc.

Doesn't really matter as long as everyone knows what is meant.

In the end, there's only 3 relevant voltages (with the exception of the Ninebot One Z): 67.2V (16*4.2V) which seems to be a thing of the past, 84V (20*4.2V), 100V (24*4.2V=100.8V). So there are no small differences there. It's one of those three.

Voltage isn't really good for comparing wheels anyways. It says very little on its own.

Battery packs also come in only a few different sizes (x blocks of y cells, where y defines the voltage of the wheel). Like 1600Wh (6*20), 1020Wh (4*20), etc.

• Upvote 2

I'm waiting for someone to explain internal resistance of the battery  which is inversely proportional to the amps drawn which results in a voltage dip when you are asking the wheel to do a lot resulting in a cut out. 

And also explain why 6 parallel packs are better and minimizing the chance of a cut out than 4 or 2 packs.  

LOL 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, erk1024 said:

@eddiemoy 

Just curious. Did you find the 16X to be more comfortable with the fatter tire, or about the same as the 18xl?

with the 20psi tire on the 16X, i found it pretty comparable to the 18XL, but more nimble, marginally less stable at higher speeds.  It absorbed bumps well.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, eddiemoy said:

I'm waiting for someone to explain internal resistance of the battery  which is inversely proportional to the amps drawn which results in a voltage dip when you are asking the wheel to do a lot resulting in a cut out. 

And also explain why 6 parallel packs are better and minimizing the chance of a cut out than 4 or 2 packs.  

LOL 

Controllers/Motherboards usually have an amp rating. The max amp they can draw.  Typically, it is ideal for your batteries to provide more amps than the controller can draw. 

It’s like a tap. You can control the amount of water that flows through it up to the max amount the pipe diameter allows. So it’s better to have more than enough water behind the tap compared to having less water, which means you aren’t able to get the max amount of water whenever you need it. 

Same goes for 18650 cells. Always take note of capacity(Ah) and discharge. 

The Mj1 cell has a max discharge of 10 amps.  Similarly to capacity, when you parallel cells together, the overall discharge increases. 

So for the ks16x with a 6P config. The max discharge you can get is 60amps, and I would assume most of our current 1600wh wheels use a 50amp controller. 

Hence if you lean too much and there isnt sufficient amps to compensate for your lean, it cuts. 

• Like 2