KingSong 16X 1554Wh 2200W 16*3in (Released July 2019)

Jean eRide.ie Community

It's meant for two standard chargers, 1.5A each (3 amp) total. Although Tina from KingSong quoted 10A total okay to charge. Why chance fire just to save time. Many weak links in the charging chain. Tiny wires in BMS and backside of charging port is susceptible to weak solder. 10A is just theoretically safe under perfect brand new conditions.

1 hour ago, Michael Tucker said:

It's meant for two standard chargers, 1.5A each (3 amp) total. Although Tina from KingSong quoted 10A total okay to charge. Why chance fire just to save time. Many weak links in the charging chain. Tiny wires in BMS and backside of charging port is susceptible to weak solder. 10A is just theoretically safe under perfect brand new conditions.

1.5A? my KS chargers are 2A.. but either way even if it was only 3 total then it should be made to be able to handle at least double that.. we'll have to wait and see the final product i guess, but my bets would be on most people using 5A chargers and there not being a problem.. nobody wants to have it plugged in twelve hours or spend more on a second charger.. unless its included

Does anyone have more information on how the BMS functions on the Kingsong wheels? It seems the battery packs have a 3 port connector on them. Does each pack have a BMS PCB in it to balance individual cell groups during charging?

Edited by BleepBloopBlop

4 minutes ago, BleepBloopBlop said:

Does anyone have more information on how the BMS functions on the Kingsong wheels? It seems the battery packs have a 3 port connector on them. Does each pack have a BMS PCB in it to balance individual cell groups during charging?

Yes, every KingSong battery pack has it's own BMS hardware.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Unventor said:

@Garrie Lim and @Rywokast the reason I ask is not according to batteries, it ts about control board and bms. On the Russian forum they say they had issues with these getting burned or component on these at least, that is why they strongly advise against 5A chargers or higher.

I rather ask than be sorry afterwards...

I think 5A should be safe. Even though I don’t have any anecdotal evidence for it. I’ve already prepared an adaptor for my ks16X to use with my 3A and 5A escooter charger’s. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Rywokast said:

really??? wtf, i hadnt heard of that.. never been on the russian forum, im thinking if thats the case thats probably some sort of pre production issue.. i mean the thing has two charge ports, surely they would have tested for at least 5A?? 18XL ive heard of 10A being used.. hard to believe they would put out something over a year later that that would burn up at 5.. the 14 and 16 also have no issues.. possible to link to the forum post?

First of I don't read Russian myself, so use webbrowser translation. As I gather it isn't an issues as such fir KS16X, but a general recommendation on their behalf for all Kingsong. 

Now I am fully aware other have been using much stronger charges than standard charger. What I don't know is if it holds water that control boards and bms risk getting burned. Thats why I asked for a comment from Kingsong people. As I see it, in Russia they can have very hot and cold climate, if that is part of the risk equation, I don't know. But as far as I know @EcoDrift is a big dealer but they also tend to have strong views, some I don't always agree with. Views is one thing, facts is different.

• Like 1

A generalizing instruction like that may have been relevant a year or two ago, it could be that it just doesn’t take the newer wheels with two charge ports in consideration.

• Like 1

On 7/12/2019 at 9:15 PM, Unventor said:

A question about charging KS16X. @US69 are you able to get Kingsong to confirm that a 5A charger (300w) is "safe" to use with a KS16X, as in it is designed to handle this?

Sure, 5 Amp charging is safe!!!

• Like 2

On 7/13/2019 at 5:24 PM, BleepBloopBlop said:

Sure, each battery pack has it's own BMS....exactly like GW has. The only difference to GW is that instead of 2 times 2 cables Kingsong is using 3 cables instead.

This does not Change any function of the BMS. Balancing, happens on those BMS when it reaches the last percentages of charging.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

On 7/13/2019 at 12:29 PM, Rywokast said:

1.5A? my KS chargers are 2A.. but either way even if it was only 3 total then it should be made to be able to handle at least double that.. we'll have to wait and see the final product i guess, but my bets would be on most people using 5A chargers and there not being a problem.. nobody wants to have it plugged in twelve hours or spend more on a second charger.. unless its included 

Standard 67Volt chargers are 2Amp.

Standard 84Volt Chargers are 1,5 Amp....thats on nearly all 84Volt wheels. KS18L/XL, GW MSX etc etc

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, buell47 said:

Funny, so far I've only seen black housings. Maybe this is a picture of the pre-series?

The reflector is also missing on the mud flap. 

SmartSelect_20190723-134846_Facebook.jpg

SmartSelect_20190723-134823_Facebook.jpg

SmartSelect_20190723-134751_Facebook.jpg

"Kingsong found out in an experimental way that black plastic is more fragile due to additives. And the inner case is now used only in white. It is much stronger. "

IMG_20190723_135052.jpg

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, VK-Durt Crissant said:

"Kingsong found out in an experimental way that black plastic is more fragile due to additives. And the inner case is now used only in white. It is much stronger. "

IMG_20190723_135052.jpg

Where did you get that info from? 

38 minutes ago, Unventor said:

Where did you get that info from? 

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=ru&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fecodrift.ru%2F2019%2F07%2F22%2Fkingsong-ks-18l-spisok-izmeneniy%2F

@EcoDrift has an article about the cumulative 18(X)L improvements which include a white, stronger shell and this tidbit. Could be the same for the 16X.

1 hour ago, VK-Durt Crissant said:

Kingsong found out in an experimental way that black plastic is more fragile due to additives. And the inner case is now used only in white. It is much stronger. "

That's what they find out in the middle of production? It's not like the 16X is the first EUC which they build. :confused1:

5 minutes ago, buell47 said:

That's what they find out in the middle of production? It's not like the 16X is the first EUC which they build. :confused1:

That quote referred to the 18(X)L.

But maybe the first batch 16X buyers get shafted with a weaker, crack-prone black shell. Or not! Let's wait before the 16X releases before complaining about something that might not even be the case:)

1 minute ago, buell47 said:

Well companies try differently approaches and sometimes it takes a while before evidence or data is collected.

I doubt the colour itself is the issue rather compesition that a softer/bendable plastic compared to a stif but also more brittle compound. 

So back to the point of testing. Once a product is taken to public, it is then it is put to the real test. What works fine in a test lab might not work in practice. That is why I think it is brand leading for KS to allow demo testing before production wheel is ready. And that they have responded to all the feedback point given. 

To me that brings me confident in the wheel despite not having tested it yet. 

Now I am trying my best to wait out the delay to bring the KS16X to the users. All I can hope is KS bring the release cycle more in line with our summer holiday season. On the other hand I think the KS16X will have me covered for next summer with my KS18L as backup. 

• Upvote 1

Any details on the lift switch? Or did I miss it up there in the thread somewhere? I believe it was going to use a different kind of switch, or are they still using the same sensor?

The lift sensor was one of the reasons I purchased my 18L, only to find out over the first 9 months it did not work for me, caused lots of strange issues, and ultimately had to be disabled in order for me to ride. And now, one of them is defective. 

Hope they have a simpler, more effective solution going forward.

19 minutes ago, Circuitmage said:

Any details on the lift switch? Or did I miss it up there in the thread somewhere? I believe it was going to use a different kind of switch, or are they still using the same sensor?

They are using a different but still automatic system. It is a spring loaded mechanical system instead of a stress sensor. 

Someone wrote about this earlier in one of there threads of the KS16X. Even showed a picture. Maybe it was @US69 that reported it. I don’t recall the details only that I think it is a brilliant iteration of the KS18L lesson. 

2 hours ago, VK-Durt Crissant said:

Something about this doesn't pass the smell test

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Something about this doesn't pass the smell test

Why is that?