New GotWay Nikola 17''

16 minutes ago, neurokinetik said:

I'm joining the Nikola club now that eWheels is selling the 100V 1845Wh version.  Can't wait.  Hopefully it's enough range!  :D

It's never enough range!   Congrats on the purchase, I'm sure you'll love the wheel.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I had not picked that fact up yet (of course my Nikola continues to be unrideable, so how would I know :().

Kind of a bummer that it only works in this mode. I don't know about you, but the voltage indicator is useless to me. I don't think in terms of volts.

Thanks for the post - great to know :thumbup: 

@Marty Backe If you replaced the board, how come your Nikola is un-rideable? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lucas Alexander Oliver said:

I replaced my crappy plastic grips with the 3m treadsafe grippy stairliner paper that @Marty Backe suggested   As he said earlier he has a link on his nikola thread. It was 12$ and was worth 100$ cause my feet don’t budge at all.  I can accelerate and brake so much more confidently and riding in the rain is no worries at all.  I would suggest it for anyone with the plastic pedals .

Kinda new to forums. Is there a link to Marty's Nikola thread, or how would I go about finding it? (regarding $12 pedal upgrade)

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, zenleetech said:

Kinda new to forums. Is there a link to Marty's Nikola thread, or how would I go about finding it? (regarding $12 pedal upgrade)

its all the same premise.. sandpaper, usually 80 grit with an adhesive backing

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, zenleetech said:

I see that @Rywokast linked to my post. Interesting that my Southern California Home Depot sells it for $7 vs the $12 that @Lucas Alexander Oliver paid.

47 minutes ago, zenleetech said:

@Marty Backe If you replaced the board, how come your Nikola is un-rideable? 

My new board has a broken fan, so the wheel borderline overheats when I ride it. I'm hoping that someday Jason sends me a working board. So I'm not riding it :crying:

8 minutes ago, myfunwheel said:

The Nikola looks nice, I'm wondering if the wheel feels more nimble than the MSX?  Those of you who have ridden it awhile, what are your opinions?

So far pretty much every comment on the Nikola has been that it is more balanced and nimble than the MSX, and accelerates and brakes with less effort. That's what a smaller diameter tire will do.

Hopefully the control board issue is going to be over soon.

• Upvote 1

On 7/12/2019 at 5:26 PM, zenleetech said:

Marty did post a link but I don’t remember where .. but the amount of difference it made in the control I have over My wheel is significant. ..I’m not to tech savvy so I’m just posting a snapshot of what I ordered off amazon   And I just cut it down to size. And it back is very sticky .. it’s been on for over a week and I’ve ridden over 200 miles   Several times in the rain and it’s still stuck on perfectly and extremely grippy. I strongly suggest this upgrade to all nikola owners...:: Hope this helps  . 🚀😁😎

B0C7D589-3042-4B7B-B4CB-58AE843C0574.png

Edited by Lucas Alexander Oliver
Wrote more
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Lucas Alexander Oliver said:

Marty did post a link but I don’t remember where .. but the amount of difference it made in the control I have over My wheel is significant. ..I’m not to tech savvy so I’m just posting a snapshot of what I ordered off amazon   And I just cut it down to size. And it back is very sticky .. it’s been on for over a week and I’ve ridden over 200 miles   Several times in the rain and it’s still stuck on perfectly and extremely grippy. I strongly suggest this upgrade to all nikola owners...:: Hope this helps  . 🚀😁😎

I discussed it in my Nikola great. I don't think I posted a link because I rode my wheel to my local Home Depot store and bought it there.

The link that you posted looks exactly like what I bought.

On 7/14/2019 at 12:26 AM, Marty Backe said:

I've been saying since I got the wheel that it's now the best riding wheel that you can currently buy. My opinion has not changed. Think of it as compact version of the MSX but with better balance - missing the high and somewhat awkward center of balance of the MSX. Also more low end power (torque).

Great!  That's what I was thinking but I just haven't gotten my hands on one yet😁😁

• Like 1

On 7/12/2019 at 5:26 PM, zenleetech said:

18 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I discussed it in my Nikola great. I don't think I posted a link because I rode my wheel to my local Home Depot store and bought it there.

The link that you posted looks exactly like what I bought.

I finally had time to replace mine yesterday and went with Marty’s suggestion after seeing it in person, and the very reasonable cost compared to pro skate tape. Stuff is awesome and a must do. 

Passing on a great tip from Marty:  The grip tape will pull off in one piece. Place the sticky side on the backing of the new grip tape so you have a perfect pattern.  You just peel off the old tape and backing in one and place the new on the pedals.  It’s very sticky so line it up well before placing.  

Note, make sure you place the old tape on the correct side of the new grip or you’ll end up with a yellow racing stripe on your pedals! 

Thanks for being a trailblazer Marty!

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Lucas Alexander Oliver said:

I've been using 3M safety walk for close to 3 years now. When I get a new wheel, I give the original grips about two weeks before I switch to it. All of my wheels have the safety walk tape on foot platforms. It's much more grippy than the original tape. You can buy it on Amazon or your local Home Depot.

The older photo shows my 18AY with reflective stripe still intact. I later began excluding the yellow stripe in favor of more grip surface as shown in the photo I took last Friday when I switched out the tape on my 18XL, and 18L. 

I do find that I am changing it about 4 to 5 times per year. 

Foot Platform with Safety Stripe.jpg

IMG_20190426_190927.jpg

Edited by Lutalo
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I'm 95% set on selling my Nikola, my balls just aren't big enough for it... About 60km on it. Anyone in Vegas area interested or have suggestion for price? 
I have the new board, but it hasn't been installed, minor dings on it where I didn't pad it up. 

https://offerup.co/AlUvJyJxnY

Edited by zenleetech

@meepmeepmayer  Not the board, or any sort of maintenance issue. 

Just don't feel good/safe on it. The risk is very high for what I intended to use it for here in Vegas, 
feel much more confidant on ebike or scooter, would trade for one of equal value.  

Edited by zenleetech
  • Upvote 1