New GotWay Nikola 17''

On 10/23/2019 at 1:50 PM, meepmeepmayer said:

Most likely the charger went belly up. Do you have another charger to try?

Hey, meepmeepmayer, thanks for the help. No, is it possible the charger is already broken? I have the EUC since may.

Always assume the most likely. Much more likely the charger is bad than the battery. More so for Gotway batteries, which have historically been more or less flawless with extremely few problems (if any?) reported. In contrast, these chargers are nothing special, just some generic China stuff, and there were plenty of reports of bad chargers (usually from KS chargers dieing, but I think there's not much difference to the model GW uses).

Don't forget you seller can help you, too. E.g. send a new charger (warranty) or give other info what could be wrong (but I really expect it to be just a bad charger).

Edited by meepmeepmayer

19 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Always assume the most likely. Much more likely the charger is bad than the battery. More so for Gotway batteries, which have historically been more or less flawless with extremely few problems (if any?) reported. In contrast, these chargers are nothing special, just some generic China stuff, and there were plenty of reports of bad chargers (usually from KS chargers dieing, but I think there's not much difference to the model GW uses).

Don't forget you seller can help you, too. E.g. send a new charger (warranty) or give other info what could be wrong (but I really expect it to be just a bad charger).

Yes, gonna contact the seller. Thanks again, meepmeepmayer.

• 2 weeks later...

Again: Battery quastion.

My Nikola 84 V only charges to 84 V - not to 84,1 V as it should be. I can leave the charger for 10 h after full load - no difference. My V10 F charges to 84,1 V - all the time if charger shows full. I'm using the same charger for both wheels - 84 V 3 A.

Where do you get the 84.1V number from? Charger display?

Anything above 84V is just to compensate for losses between where that number is displayed and the batteries. If the charger charges to 84.1V on one wheel and 84V on the other, presumably that means that the BMS stopped the charging as the battery is full?

My charge doctor displays up to 84.4V with my ACM.

1 hour ago, MBIKER_SURFER said:

My Nikola 84 V only charges to 84 V - not to 84,1 V as it should be. I can leave the charger for 10 h after full load - no difference. My V10 F charges to 84,1 V - all the time if charger shows full. I'm using the same charger for both wheels - 84 V 3 A.

The normal reported accuracies from voltages reported from wheels are in the range of about one Volt. So don't worry about some tenth of volts...

Also regard multimeter accuracy:

Multimeter accuracy needed for charger/battery measurements - General Discussion - Electric Unicycle Forum (euc community)

• Like 2

• 6 months later...
On 8/30/2019 at 7:45 PM, Blank said:

Is there anyone having issues with the Nikola's Led, Bluetooth, Voltage Meter, and Headlight not working? So far 3 people in the NYC EUC chat reported these not working with their Nikola. Seems like it's a board issue as one got a replacement board from eWheels and the lights function correctly now.

This just happened to my Nikola+  did you guys figure out the cause?

54 minutes ago, Jim Martin said:

This just happened to my Nikola+  did you guys figure out the cause?

Its a issue with the 5V DC-DC converter on the board, the people in the NYC chat that had this issue replaced their control board and it was resolved. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Blank said:

Its a issue with the 5V DC-DC converter on the board, the people in the NYC chat that had this issue replaced their control board and it was resolved. 

Damn, was hoping it was something simple.  Don't wanna buy another control board :/  Thanks for the info

On 11/3/2019 at 5:39 AM, MBIKER_SURFER said:

one of my 18XLs charges to 84.6V lol... 84V would be considered full charge... different batteries from different manufacturers in a different wheel from a different manufacturer... theyre not gonna be the exact same

On 5/31/2020 at 12:36 AM, Rywokast said:

one of my 18XLs charges to 84.6V lol... 84V would be considered full charge...

One person asked about a month ago if his new board is faulty since it doesn’t charge above something like 83.6V. Old board charged to 84.3V.

The board doesn’t affect the actual charging voltage. The circuit that measures and reports the voltage just isn’t that precise. Just like a $100 multimeter isn’t.

1 hour ago, MBIKER_SURFER said:

Directly after charge, it shows 84 V. The day after 83,6V - this voltage stays for at least a week. 

My 'starting voltage' is nearly always 83,6 V. 

You let it charge the full two stages? (Cc and cv)

How long after the green light did you let it charge?

The shorter the constant voltage stage, the higher the voltage drop once the cells settled.

Could also be some slight imbalance - some bleeding resistors active discharging some cells which got above 4.2V.

1 hour ago, Chriull said:

How long after the green light did you let it charge?

I couldn't realize any difference. Sometimes 15 min - sometimes 4 hours. Starting voltage is only dependent on riding immediate after charge or later than 2 hours after charging.

I decided, that this is a matter of disbalancing among my cells :-((

17 minutes ago, MBIKER_SURFER said:

I decided, that this is a matter of disbalancing among my cells :-((

If so, it could maybe work out again, if you try some "saturation charges" (just short rides and then charge again fully).

Could be just a slight imbalance till now.

Or maybe not :(

• 1 month later...