New GotWay Nikola 17''

10 minutes ago, zenleetech said:

@Rywokast I did get a lil pamphlet, it's all in Chinese, must be the manual.  Inside the manual is a barcode with my  motorcode etc.

Yep, that's it. What were you expecting, a 1990's Dell manual :roflmao:

It's of little use, but the manufacture date is maybe worthwhile trivia.

P.s. For some reason there are a few English words in that "manual" :confused1:

Edited by Marty Backe
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Rywokast said:

there is no such thing as a true manual for 99% of all EUCs.. (think ninebot and inmotion sometimes have decent ones) best you can hope for is some three page thing in chinese with some basic specs and safety warnings.. what are you trying to figure out? this should cover most questions, anything else ask here. use a pressure gauge like that or preferably a pump with one so you know as youre pumping lol.. the recommended is on the side of the tire

BTW, the Z10 actually has an honest to God manual that could be useful to newbies. Written by Westerners :thumbup:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

alright legs are bit jelly from riding around in the tennis court.

was able to wheel it to a gas station and get air.

Most common question people asked me was, 'Did I make it?' = i must look smart:)

didn't lay it down at all, few minor dings, going take a few weeks of practice.

I've come to the conclusion: you guys either have balls that are dragging on the floor, are on heavy mind-altering drugs, or simply crazy.

Edited by zenleetech
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, zenleetech said:

Most common question people asked me was, 'Did I make it?' = i must look smart:)

I've come to the conclusion: you guys either have balls that are dragging on the floor, are on heavy mind-altering drugs, or out of your mind...

no surprise there xD lmao did you make it? never been asked that one before... bit of a mix, yea lol

Edited by Rywokast
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, zenleetech said:

@Rywokasttwo totally different people asked that, caught me off guard, maybe because of all the pads or something...

oh maybe haha.. either that or you look like the kinda guy who has a factory in his backyard

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, zenleetech said:

I've come to the conclusion: you guys either have balls that are dragging on the floor, are on heavy mind-altering drugs, or simply crazy.

BTW, you should consider attending the Las Vegas meetup that many of us (including me) will be attending in early August. @who_the is organizing it. See http://pevra.org/westwheel

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, zenleetech said:

I'm down, going sign up when i recoup some cash. Might be willing to open up my apartment for people to crash in if needed. 

Awesome! Message me for a comp registration, locals rule! And thanks @Marty Backe

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Graniteone said:

Just curios, do you guys only ride in the early morning and late at night in Vegas in August? 

Manly men ride at noon :ph34r:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, who_the said:

Not in Vegas bro! Sleep at noon. All our rides are at night or before noon. 

I guess we know which bucket to put you in.

;)

9 hours ago, zenleetech said:

9 hours ago, Rywokast said:

no surprise there xD lmao did you make it? never been asked that one before... bit of a mix, yea lol

People ask me all the time whether I self-built the thing! Maybe because the old ACM looks so scruffy and scrappy with my professional duct tape.

• Like 3

@meepmeepmayer yes same here, all foamed up, looks like a silly device. 

Took Nikola out for a morning spin. Gave up at the park, couldn't skate it too a start, and grass was wet so kept slipping.
Hard to get it going, not sure if my low weight requires me to push it hard which then causes me to lose balance easier.

Went back to tennis court, feel I made a little progress with the starting stopping, very very difficult, feels like wheel

had mind of its own sometimes. My body is still calibrating to it, have to stay zen, because it can be very frustrating.

Doesn't seem like a good idea to ride one of these! The gotway app seems rather basic as well, haven't noticed any difference

between soft, medium, hard modes.  Going walk to Rubios and get some fish tacos, need a lot of protein for

recovery!

9 minutes ago, zenleetech said:

@meepmeepmayer yes same here, all foamed up, looks like a silly device. 

Took Nikola out for a morning spin. Gave up at the park, couldn't skate it too a start, and grass was wet so kept slipping.
Hard to get it going, not sure if my low weight requires me to push it hard which then causes me to lose balance easier.

Went back to tennis court, feel I made a little progress with the starting stopping, very very difficult, feels like wheel

had mind of its own sometimes. My body is still calibrating to it, have to stay zen, because it can be very frustrating.

Doesn't seem like a good idea to ride one of these! The gotway app seems rather basic as well, haven't noticed any difference

between soft, medium, hard modes.  Going walk to Rubios and get some fish tacos, need a lot of protein for

recovery!

There's a dramatic difference between the three modes. The wheel can't be moving when you switch modes.

• Upvote 1

@Marty Backe did you elaborate on what the different modes do in your video? I may have missed that part. 
Been going back and re-watching videos from my new perspective. 
if not could you briefly lmk what they're - assuming soft would be best for beginner such as myself?

I have mine on the highest setting, as I'm having trouble getting going from standing/skateboard start.

Edited by zenleetech

3 minutes ago, zenleetech said:

what the different modes do

When you lean forward or backward, hard mode stays perfectly still, so it feels as if you were standing on solid ground. Soft mode allows your toes dip down, so it helps you with acceleration and braking. Medium dips only little. I ride on the medium mode on my MSX.

I wouldn't say that the soft (or any other mode for that matter) is necessarily the best for a beginner. The soft may even feel that the wheel has a mind of it's own. Definitely just try out the three modes and use the one that feels the most intuitive or comfortable for you. But be sure to keep the wheel perfectly still when changing modes or other settings. Otherwise the app will think that the mode changed, despite the wheel not allowing the change.

• Like 1

@Marty Backe did you elaborate on what the different modes do in your video? I may have missed that part. 
Been going back and re-watching videos from my new perspective. 
if not could you briefly lmk what they're - assuming soft would be best for beginner such as myself?

I have mine on the highest setting, as I'm having trouble getting going from standing/skateboard start.

Sorry, a bit in a rush here. Pedal modes operate the same in KingSong & Gotway wheels. You should be able to find lots of discussions about those (use Google). I just wanted to point out that there's a big difference yet you said that you couldn't detect anything. That tells me that maybe you weren't actually changing the modes.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Try the medium mode, it allows you to get a bit more lean in before the wheel reacts. Or just try which one feels best - EUCs are quite personal devices and a lot is objectively subjective.

Also only use the official Gotway app (instead of third party apps) for now to prevent complicating things.

I've have had more people approach me in the last 2 days than the last 20 years of my life! 

Tell me about it!

• Like 3

I just bought a Gotway Nikola - it's my first wheel.  I just got back from my first attempt to learn how to ride it in a parking lot with a railing for me to hold on to. I had a helmet, knee pads and wrist guards, however I fell a bunch of times and got a pretty bad scrape on my elbow. Now getting elbow pads are definitely on my list! 

The sides of the wheel, and the pedals are now awfully scratched up which makes me wish I had covered the whole wheel with neoprene foam…especially while I’m learning. I will definitely do this soon!  

One problem: each time I fell the handle whipped open and got more and more damaged, and the last fall broke it off. Now I have a new handle on order from RCGeeks for £55 GBP ($70 US)! 😳

I was thinking that maybe the handle might not have gotten damaged if I had secured it down in place somehow.   Has anyone done this? I think I might try to velcro it down when install the new handle.

I'm sure I'll figure out how to ride it eventually, but man!  It was a lot harder than I thought it was going to be..

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, DrakeParagon said:

I just bought a Gotway Nikola - it's my first wheel.  I just got back from my first attempt to learn how to ride it in a parking lot with a railing for me to hold on to. I had a helmet, knee pads and wrist guards, however I fell a bunch of times and got a pretty bad scrape on my elbow. Now getting elbow pads are definitely on my list! 

The sides of the wheel, and the pedals are now awfully scratched up which makes me wish I had covered the whole wheel with neoprene foam…especially while I’m learning. I will definitely do this soon!  

One problem: each time I fell the handle whipped open and got more and more damaged, and the last fall broke it off. Now I have a new handle on order from RCGeeks for £55 GBP ($70 US)! 😳

I was thinking that maybe the handle might not have gotten damaged if I had secured it down in place somehow.   Has anyone done this? I think I might try to velcro it down when install the new handle.

I'm sure I'll figure out how to ride it eventually, but man!  It was a lot harder than I thought it was going to be..

Wow, your training session sounds brutal, to both the body and wheel. Everyone strongly recommends wrapping the wheel, but I guess you never saw any of those comments. And usually while learning, people don't need the knee or elbow pads since the speeds are so slow. You've really had bad luck.

Good tip regarding the handle. While learning, tape it down.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1