New GotWay Nikola 17''

1 minute ago, zenleetech said:

well I used Marty's promo code, so If I blow up its on him :D:)

hahaha

27 minutes ago, Rywokast said:

i can guarantee that gotway at least turns them on once before shipping them out lol.. if theres some problem like incorrect wiring or incompatibility it will be obvious, sometimes blatantly as the example youve shown, while turning the wheel on for the first time.. so fingers crossed that at the factory they did at least the absolute bare minimum and turned the wheels on to test if they actually work before shipping out lmao.. im under the impression they dont actually have something on hand to check the boards themselves before they ship out like kingsong or onewheel would.. they just basically haphazardly assemble everything, turn it on, move it back and forth for two seconds then pack it up

It would be nice if EUC manufacturers tested each wheel on some kind of rolling road that simulated a hill climb for some (multi-mile) distance before shipping them out. That would allow assembly process errors like high MOSFET thermal resistance to be weeded out.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jon Stern said:

It would be nice if EUC manufacturers tested each wheel on some kind of rolling road that simulated a hill climb for some (multi-mile) distance before shipping them out. That would allow assembly process errors like high MOSFET thermal resistance to be weeded out.

kingsong does :P except its a skinny chinese guy going up ramps over and over

Edited by Rywokast
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, zenleetech said:

well I used Marty's promo code, so If I blow up its on him :D:)

Thank you. I really appreciate the few people that do :thumbup: except maybe in this case ;)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, who_the said:

Yes, I know of at least one other local Nikola with the original board under similar usage that has also been fine.

Mine has 650 very spirited miles on the original board. 

• Like 3

@Marty Backe, sorry for not reading through 39 pages here, but in your stress test video you mention something about bluetooth and beeps on 90Amps. What is that all about and in what way it differs from before? You also say something about not needing a Pebble and bluetooth audio. Could you elaborate or link to the post where this is explained?

• Like 1

My factory sealed Nikoa should be arriving any minute! Will do boxing @zenleegaming on instagram
Got an e-mail back from ewheels, think I'm being overly paranoid but its my first 2k purchase of something as
unique as the nikola. eWheels doesn't seem to want to answer me regarding the new board.

'eWheels,   (my e-mail)
Wow, thanks for update. 
Will I receive an updated board for the Nikola when you get one that works?'

'The risk with the original board is pretty low, Marty had done a stress test climbing a mountain on a hot day, causing it to fry. In regular riding conditions it really should be alright, but as precaution, this applies for any Wheel, please pad up with wrist-guards & helmet... '

and my response as any indication of me getting a new board seems to ride on how well my Nikola runs.
'Ok, thanks. Will I get a new board if you receive one that works? The forums have me a bit paranoid tbh.'

(

Edited by zenleetech
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, zenleetech said:

In regular riding conditions it really should be alright, but as precaution, this applies for any Wheel, please pad up with wrist-guards & helmet... '

That's unacceptable. Ewheels seems to be making a business decision here which is not in the consumer's best interest. If I were you I would check the serial number to determine build date (year-month-day-number) If it isn't a newer wheel, inspect it and post pictures to see if it is a newer board, uses single larger pad, bigger MOSFETs etc. Otherwise further inspection may be required.

Edited by wheelr
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, zenleetech said:

'The risk with the original board is pretty low, Marty had done a stress test climbing a mountain on a hot day, causing it to fry. In regular riding conditions it really should be alright, but as precaution, this applies for any Wheel, please pad up with wrist-guards & helmet... '

WTF that came from ewheels? Not cool!

Why didn't he send you a Nikola with good board right away?

I wouldn't ride it with the old board. We had a case here where it glue-died despite the lack of any high stresses. Ticking time bomb. Either the board has no glue, or is bad!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ir_fuel said:

@Marty Backe, sorry for not reading through 39 pages here, but in your stress test video you mention something about bluetooth and beeps on 90Amps. What is that all about and in what way it differs from before? You also say something about not needing a Pebble and bluetooth audio. Could you elaborate or link to the post where this is explained?

You don't want to read 39-pages? :laughbounce2:

I use WheelLog to monitor my rides. It allows you to configure a current alarm. When the alarm triggers WheelLog will beep. I use 90-amps for the trigger on all of my Gotway wheels.

The Nikola seems to trigger the alarm more than my other wheels - it draws more current which probably explains why it feels so powerful.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, zenleetech said:

My factory sealed Nikoa should be arriving any minute! Will do boxing @zenleegaming on instagram
Got an e-mail back from ewheels, think I'm being overly paranoid but its my first 2k purchase of something as
unique as the nikola. eWheels doesn't seem to want to answer me regarding the new board.

'eWheels,   (my e-mail)
Wow, thanks for update. 
Will I receive and updated board for the Nikola when you get one that works?'

and my response as any indication of me getting an new board seems to ride on how well my Nikola runs.
'Ok, thanks. Will I get a new board if you receive on that works? The forums have me a bit paranoid tbh.'

Kind of looks like EWheels is trying to ship the wheels even if they don't have the new board. Guess the only way to know is to open it when you receive the wheel.

• Like 2

So seems I should open it on livestream and leave recording for evidence? Probably will livestream
it so people can guide me if available. Still haven't received it yet, but it's coming today for sure.

I don't have many tools.

Will have to watch Marty's Hill Stress video for the 5th time to learn how to take it apart.:D

Edited by zenleetech

17 minutes ago, zenleetech said:

also I'm super tempted to exchange it for a kingsong 18xl if that's even an option or something
ewheels would allow...

I think the Nikola is a much better wheel in all categories save range.   It would be a shame to exchange but I can understand the hesitation around the control board.   I hope that very soon this will all be resolved.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, who_the said:

My brand new Nikola 84v had 0.5 miles on it when I bought it new from @Nevin@Tec-toyz.com. I've now got ~250 miles on it and it's performed flawlessly under harsh usage.

May I ask if you like more of the Nikola or the MSX? If only can keep one, which one will that be? 

PeterQ

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zenleetech said:

also I'm super tempted to exchange it for a kingsong 18xl if that's even an option or something
ewheels would allow...

Given this particular situation right now with the Nikolas, it is not a beginners wheel. Too much risk and technicalities to check and test for a brand new rider. The KS18XL is great beginners wheel! So is the KS16S. Remember, your first wheel always gets thrashed...a $1000 wheel is better than a $2000 in the beginning.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Michael Tucker said:

Given this particular situation right now with the Nikolas, it is not a beginners wheel. Too much risk and technicalities to check and test for a brand new rider. The KS18XL is great beginners wheel! So is the KS16S. Remember, your first wheel always gets thrashed...a $1000 wheel is better than a $2000 in the beginning.

Man are you right. My first wheel was a KS16S and it’s trashed. Lol.  Still works great though. :-) 

I thought it was an awesome wheel to learn on also. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Michael Tucker said:

I respectfully disagree. But we all have different opinions. This isn't an objective business. My main point here is that any wheel can be padded up so it doesn't get trashed. I learned on the best wheel that you can buy at the time (ACM) and spent a good chunk of change buying it. I put lots of padding on the wheel and it survived just fine thank you very much :)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2