This is exciting isn't it! As for the wide tyre, I can only think it provides more advantages than disadvantages. Skinny tyres are a feature of road bikes to reduce weight whereas you'll always get more traction with a fat tyre. After 500 miles on my wheel I'm really starting to crave more speed, battery and better rough road/off-road performance. Riding on a bumpy  gravel path at 12-15mph on a 16" wheel starts to feel fatiguing pretty quickly. 

I'll be down for a Z8 or Z10 for sure. 

Edited by Kael
  • Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Kael said:

This is exciting isn't it! As for the wide tyre, I can only think it provides more advantages than disadvantages. Skinny tyres are a feature of road bikes to reduce weight whereas you'll always get more traction with a fat tyre.

That makes no sense. Skinny tires give less friction so they allow you to go faster with the same force because of the smaller contact patch . Weight isn't an issue. The traction issue is also non existent as you can't spin a bicycle tire or a euc tire, there isn't enough torque to break traction. That's for cars and motorbikes.

Mtb tires are wide and stubbier so they can find traction over a bigger surface since it usually is uneven. Making a wide slick wouldn't help.

• Upvote 1

I imagine a wider tyre will be helpful on wet tarmac. I have on occasion slipped in the rain with my InMotion when making a quick turn with too high of a lateral G. It would also make me more confident on gravel.

I absolutely can't wait to see some hands-on (or feet-on?) tests of this wheel!

• Upvote 3

13 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

We can buy and ride Gotway's right now. I'm having a blast doing so (just returned from a nice 20 mile sunset ride on my Monster). It'll probably be sometime in 2018 before we have an opportunity to ride the Z10, and lets hope it doesn't cost $3k.

I'm excited about the new Gotway offerings. I don't know why you say it's 3 steps backwards in design. We barely know anything about it yet. What do you know that I don't know? I honestly want to know :confused1:

I was just kidding about the loyalist thing guys. Anyways I don't think it will go over 2k for the z10.  Doesn't make sense to price it that high.  Also @Marty Backe have you seen photos of the Tesla?  It's a failed concept of a blend of the old MCM4 and an inmotion.  Even the built in handle looks like an after thought. That's no surprise with gotway though.  It might have high speed and a larger battery but I wouldnt go near that thing.  Why would I want an ugly and possibly unsafe wheel?  The acm was an ok design. Why go away from it?  I won't be buying from gotway again regardless of how big the battery is.  It's not worth having to take the wheel apart and upgrading everything because they can't get it done right the first time.  Love my 1600 but only because I reworked the inside and made it a solid wheel while everyone else I know has had trouble keeping it stock.  Ninebot/Segway seems to have reworked from the ground up to bring us something better.  Honestly there is a limit to battery capacity versus weight.  Until companies can adopt new tech on batteries I'm not riding a wheel that's 50+ pounds.  @Marty Backe you even know this from experience if you happen to get stranded with it.  If you think gotway is better just because of battery size, I'm going to have to say your just a hater on ninebot.  Just keeping it real.  

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, thefork said:

I imagine a wider tyre will be helpful on wet tarmac. I have on occasion slipped in the rain with my InMotion when making a quick turn with too high of a lateral G. It would also make me more confident on gravel.

I absolutely can't wait to see some hands-on (or feet-on?) tests of this wheel!

Gravel, yes but in the rain it won't help I guess. Wider tire is bigger contact patch but less pressure per square inch on that patch. 

Physics aside, I love the look of it??

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

You're heaping praise on Ninebot based on a bunch of glossy photographs. Meanwhile I can take my various Gotway wheels out right now for fun rides in the mountains and streets. Right now. Today. Let's see what the Z10 really delivers in 2018. I hope it's great and affordable. But until then I have real, high performance wheels that I can have a blast on.

I predict the Z10 will be well over $2k.

Plus one on that...

I even predict the Z10 will be in the 2500bucks range....if not a bit more!

i also said that: Until this wheel is mass market available we will ride our KS/GW/IM with same/better specs...

And No! Thats no Ks or Gw fanboism....thats just from own experience how long it takes 9bot to go to the mass market and what their price politics are!

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Soju said:

No offense taken and hoping you guys aren't taking any offense to what I'm saying. We are just debating and its only my opinion.  With that said I've argued many times about Gotway even before the ACM came out that they were building wheels too fast and not taking precautions about safety to match the speed.  Now, its gotten even horribly worse in that they churned out 10 models in a years time with more speed bigger battery and using even cheaper parts.  Even the batteries were changed with out any notification  to a cheaper brand.  I'm sure most don't even know that.  Yet they raised their prices on their wheels?  My point to all my comments is that at least ninebot is making a change to further better their wheels as a whole. Not just make them faster with a big battery.  Its funny how small companies are usually the ones to use quality over quantity because thats their selling point.  In this case its completely opposite.  If anyone can say anything about ninebot its me.  I've owned 1 E, 2 E+, and a P.  Had cutout on E+ and the P on the first day i rode it.  Gave up the brand because I didn't have faith in the board on those models.  As for the P, at least they discontinued it and it was mentioned to the public they were not going to manufacture them anymore.  What has Gotway done?  Denied anything was wrong for quite some time, then sent a bandaid in the form of connectors.  Yet even after there were still issues.  Gotway has done little to improve their wheels in a safety aspect.  Did they even test the new firmware before they sent it out to customers?  Obviously not because @Marty Backe should never have had his fall along with many others.  Damaged brand new wheels and not even offered anything in compensation.  I'm sure the flash you guys got was the original firmware that was working.  This is coming from someone who has never had an issue with their gotway but as mentioned I redid a lot of things before I took it out and rode it.  Ive just witnessed and read too many things going wrong with Gotway wheels lately.  

Of course ninebot has a lot to prove in this new Z10.  I am hoping the board is stable more than anything else.  They made steps in all the right directions and you can tell a lot of thought went into the wheel.  If you really want Gotway to improve their wheels, you have to stop saying they are so amazing when they are clearly not.  Sure you can go far and fast but at the risk of it literally falling apart underneath you?  Sorry, no thanks.  I will not support the way they sell their wheels.  They are more concerned with getting your money, and they are doing a great job of it.  I will spend more money on a wheel that they seem to be trying to improve than one that is a sheep in wolfs clothing.  

No offense taken. We're just talking.

I fully realize that everyone has differing opinions about the various manufacturers and the wheels that they make.

I'm OK with Gotway and will continue to buy their wheels. If I agreed with your statement "literally falling apart underneath you" then I most assuredly would not buy any Gotway wheel. But I think as a whole they work very well.

Your statement about the batteries is interesting. Can you provide specifics? I'd like to know what Gotway has done, and how you know it.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

No offense taken. We're just talking.

I fully realize that everyone has differing opinions about the various manufacturers and the wheels that they make.

I'm OK with Gotway and will continue to buy their wheels. If I agreed with your statement "literally falling apart underneath you" then I most assuredly would not buy any Gotway wheel. But I think as a whole they work very well.

Your statement about the batteries is interesting. Can you provide specifics? I'd like to know what Gotway has done, and how you know it.

No specs but it was confirmed by Nevin from gotway that they were no longer able to get the batteries they have been originally using.  I would have to ask Nevin again on the brands as we talked about it on one of our rides.  We were not sure what models in the msuper or monster they started changing them but some have suspected it might have contributed a small part in the overheating in the wires or the failed firmware that was updated.  What was said and confirmed was they are a cheaper brand.  Not that it matters to me but they raised the price of the wheels based absolutely no upgrades.  

Talk fight talk fight!  :w00t2:  Oh, right, this isn't Talk Fight Club.  :lol:  Who releases all this information about a product that isn't ready to hit the shelves the same day?  Com'on!  :rolleyes:  Are we trying to pull a Nintendo move and announce new products way ahead of time to hype things up?  Maybe provide them in short supply so that keeps the prices high like how the Wii and Wii Balance boards were released?  We live in a "I want it now" society so what the heck are they doing?  Who wants to wait months and months for a new product?  Plus, who knows, maybe once people try it, it isn't the end-all and be-all wheel that we hope for.  That would be very disappointing.  <_<  The longer you make people wait, the higher their expectations are so I'm hoping this NBOneZ (LOL N-Bonez :lol:) is extremely well engineered.  I think after the P fiasco, they likely have gotten their shiitake mushrooms together?  I hope?  :innocent1:

I like Ninebot in general, but they certainly aren't saints or the golden standard of EUCs.  Each company has their strengths and weaknesses.  Gotway is like the cutting, bleeding edge of pushing the limits of these wheels along with Rockwheel so things will be pretty raw.  It's like buying a Cobra Shelby kit that's slapped together with emphasis on performance and less on safety.  It won't always kill you, but there's always that possibility.  :efef927839:  Ninebot is like a sleepy :eff02518bb: Honda Accord/Civic that seems to keep on going and going no matter how often you crash it (looking at you @Jonathan Tolhurst!) or trick it out.  KingSong is probably closer to a Toyota Camry :efee47c9c8:.  Reliable, got some zoom, and pretty well designed.

I bet they probably will price these new wheels competitively taking into consideration what the competition charges.  The three offerings will let them offer prices that fit everyone's budget hopefully.  Not everyone wants to ride 100 km per trip so the lower end models might be just fine.  I'm still okay with 18 kms, but I wouldn't mind that bumping up to 60 km?  I don't know if my legs would give out on a longer journey.

Edited by Hunka Hunka Burning Love
  • Upvote 3

2 hours ago, ir_fuel said:

Gravel, yes but in the rain it won't help I guess. Wider tire is bigger contact patch but less pressure per square inch on that patch.

You're right, of course. And on a closer look the tread doesn't seem perfect for rain, with there being no water channels.

2 hours ago, ir_fuel said:

Physics aside, I love the look of it??

This. Yes.

4 hours ago, kasenutty said:

Has Ninebot officially acknowledged this yet? I can't find anything about it on their app, website, anywhere official. 

It was only for chinese market 

Segway day 8 12 

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Ninebot is like a sleepy :eff02518bb: Honda Accord/Civic that seems to keep on going and going no matter how often you crash it (looking at you @Jonathan Tolhurst!) or trick it out.  

I still admire the NB1. It has nostalgic element and was truly ahead of its time in terms of styling and the incorporation of led lights! I'm glad it remains in my family to ride occasionally. 

Edited by Rehab1
  • Upvote 3

On 8/12/2017 at 6:54 AM, Tom Fagerland said:

Holy crap... Want!

Yes, I am pleasantly surprised to see this. I thought Ninebot/Segway was content to sit on the sidelines, not really being a serious competitor in the EUC market. I'm glad they decided S2 is not good enough!

Edited by MaxLinux
  • Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, MaxLinux said:

3 minutes ago, MaxLinux said:
On 8/12/2017 at 5:54 AM, Tom Fagerland said:

Holy crap... Want!

Yes, I am pleasantly surprised to see this. I thought Ninebot/Segway was content to sit on the sidelines, not really being a serious competitor in the EUC market. I'm glad to see they decided S2 is not good enough!

Crouching tiger, hidden dragon.  Yes, it's nice to see new models, from any manufacturer.  IPS I5, the new Kingsong and Gotway models, Rockwheel.  Exciting times!

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, MaxLinux said:

What are the advantages/disadvantages of using a tubeless tire on a EUC?

Not sure....

Might be mistaken here, but there seems to be an element of Segway tech (the original) bleeding into this new Ninebot One Z series. Some of those giant Segway units sport similar size & width tires in tubeless flavor, plus they look similar too.

I can imagine maybe this is a combination of streamlining Segway resources, along with an element of trying to make a proprietary tire standard to keep NB1Z part sales under the Segway/Ninebot bottom line (ala Apple and their proprietary cables, Lightning, MagSafe, and the like).

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, MaxLinux said:

What are the advantages/disadvantages of using a tubeless tire on a EUC?

The only advantage I can think of, is that tubeless tires can be plugged.  You don't have to take out the tube and patch or replace it.  That being said, I have over 550 miles on my Ninebot and most of them are on peagravel bike trails and have never gotten a flat.  Automobile tires have been tubeless for decades.  I can only think that Segway/Ninebot  have been brainstorming ways to improve their product.  However, a product like slime,as @Marty Backe uses, also eliminates the need to take off the tire. So, the jury is still out on that one.:huh:

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, steve454 said:

The only advantage I can think of, is that tubeless tires can be plugged.  You don't have to take out the tube and patch or replace it. 

I can think of a few more benefits. ;)

36180235120_3f9785e04b_b.jpg

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, Scatcat said:

Gaaaaaah!

I'm already looking at my bank balance and starting to rationalise how it really wouldn't hurt so much to make a z-shaped hole in my savings... :roflmao:

Well, the good news is you have several months to save up.

• Upvote 2