On 8/12/2017 at 8:54 AM, EU GUY said:

Tough design and the tire is as wide as a mopeds tire. But I thought Segway couldn't make anything faster than 20kmh? Some rules to follow. What's with that 

USA. Has  20mph as the accepted top speed for "electric assisted vehicles". Which recently included the unicycles.

which allows the euc to be on roads under 30mph, garnishing the same rules of bikes on the shoulder.  Else sidewalk.

Washington/USA adopted the legislation so it doesn't become a confusing "not allowed here" case for law enforcement.

main part is being sensible.  Like not riding it full speed next to people, pets, or kids.  I've strolled through the mall with my kid a couple times just because there was no way to get there even going around.

that said. I'm glad I waited.  Now there is another option other than gotway

and we still love our ninebot e+

Just seeing this today (yeah burried in other oddities).

glad I held out.

ill be an early adopter on this one.  The E+ have been great.    And this model looks like they "took what works". And made it their own.   I just expect better support and upgradability in replacing parts as the current, with the same reliability as the E+.    I'm hoping they learned from there P model, as well as other 20+mph wheels on the market.

the wider wheel I think will give better traction at higher speeds,  it looks like it might give a smoother ride as well with the impact distribution to be wider as a plus,  with a sacrifice to turning.

i don't have stairs for my commute.  So... :P

aesthetics - win

serviceability & reliability are the important parts.

i wonder if it's ip67 rated?   

Edited by SeattleAbarth
Typo. Grammar. Not hurried. Buried
  • Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, SeattleAbarth said:

Just seeing this today (yeah hurried in other oddities).

glad I held out.

You still may have a 6 month wait. But I can't wait until someone buys one and gives a full report.

• Upvote 1

On 8/12/2017 at 11:54 AM, EU GUY said:

Tough design and the tire is as wide as a mopeds tire. But I thought Segway couldn't make anything faster than 20kmh? Some rules to follow. What's with that 

Segway traditionally has not made vehicles for the US market faster than this because of related laws involved using it on pedestrian walkways. By going over 20mph on the Z series they are placing it in a different category which will be restricted to bike lanes. The legal limit in many areas in the US is 20 mph so don't be surprised if the US version is handicapped like the S1 was. 20mph is not that terrible of a restriction but would still be a bit disappointing.

• Upvote 1

Aye...  I assume speedyfeet already has one ready to go.  ?   The vid gots me excited.

i might as well post it here.  But there are no "patents" for it.

i wish they would modify the BMS. So it does an N+3 design.   Meaning 2 circuit channels,    1 for the main 84v.  But with an ancillary circuit to use the 3 additional cells to swiItch to.  In the event a cell errors or fails to deliver the amp during peak draw.  (Top speed or acceleration).

so far, I've been looking at aftermarket BMS and they expect the stacks cells to be the safety margin.

only drawback I see is the overhead for safety.

to keep on thread topic.  I think this Z model will fail if there is no battery temp / limit that prevents acceleration, in turn risking rider safety. So I hope the battery warning and limiter the E+ methodology carries into the Z models.

1800w motor (peak?)

1300wat battary+. So 60mile range

i still see the system as 3 stages.  Motor/bms/battary. As the 3 critical failure points . (Axle if you're @Marty Backe  ). ??

but 2017 has been amazing..  new tech driving competition!!!

27 minutes ago, electricpen said:

Segway traditionally has not made vehicles for the US market faster than this because of related laws involved using it on pedestrian walkways. By going over 20mph on the Z series they are placing it in a different category which will be restricted to bike lanes. The legal limit in many areas in the US is 20 mph so don't be surprised if the US version is handicapped like the S1 was. 20mph is not that terrible of a restriction but would still be a bit disappointing.

https://app.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=46.04.1695

Washington State EPAMD,  which includes the "self balancing one wheel" 

the electric bike rcw and legislation already covers those.  Which imo.  A wheel going 30-35   Should garnish the same safety rules. (Helmet)...

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, SeattleAbarth said:

https://app.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=46.04.1695

Washington State EPAMD,  which includes the "self balancing one wheel" 

the electric bike rcw and legislation already covers those.  Which imo.  A wheel going 30-35   Should garnish the same safety rules. (Helmet)...

Washington is definitely in the minority though in having specific legislation for EUCs. The majority of the US does not have such laws yet on the books.

1 hour ago, KingSong69 said:

LOL......

....all People are flipping out and then this:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ElectricUnicycle/permalink/1403072219790737/

"Current plans are that the One Z will only be released in China".......

I don't think Ninebot will sell One Z in China only. They must have seen people's positive reaction to this product. Maybe they are thinking how and how much they should sell in the International market. We still have time.

13 hours ago, electricpen said:

I think 20mph is fast enough for such device. Let's be clear, this should mean 20mph sustained speed. Not 20mph "max" whereby you faceplant if you dare push it to 21.

Not sure I believe them saying that these won't be coming any further than China. Especially as KingSong and Gotway seem to be enjoying success with their more powerful machines. 

(Also, I'm hopeful and desperate. A made-for-off-roading wheel is exactly what I want now.)

Well. Most of the USA stuff is made in china... some 3rd party or reseller will channel it through for those that want to jump the gun.

it doesn't make "sense" that they would up the weight limit to 160kg if it wasn't targeted for a wider audience. (People that are 6.1ft+ weight 230lbs+)

the wide tire tire design is interesting... and from riding different motorcycles. I'm hoping it provides the wider contact patch like a sports bike :)

they really should just run run a raffle in this forum to test the market imo.  I'd demo it.

I'm very excited about the series, but I can't imagine a 4" wheel to work very nicely when cornering on paved surfaces. The 2.125" tire on the KS-16S feels slightly like it could tip over, and I had to tilt the wheel more than my body. I replaced it with a 2.5" one, and now the wheel tries to stay upright so I have to lean a lot more than the wheel. A 4" one...?! Must be a bare to turn.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

I'm very excited about the series, but I can't imagine a 4" wheel to work very nicely when cornering on paved surfaces. The 2.125" tire on the KS-16S feels slightly like it could tip over, and I had to tilt the wheel more than my body. I replaced it with a 2.5" one, and now the wheel tries to stay upright so I have to lean a lot more than the wheel. A 4" one...?! Must be a bare to turn.

Let's find out. :)

im expecting it to be harder to turn at lower speeds.  But just be on rails at 15-30mph.

switching bikes with friends at a cruise once.  Harley soft tail, Suzuki gsx-750 & 1100 To my Ducati 1098.   The rear tire setup changes the confidence level when tilting over.

Maybe the allowed more tilt/angle will bring us closer to drifting a wheel!!!  ?

8 hours ago, SeattleAbarth said:

switching bikes with friends at a cruise once.  Harley soft tail, Suzuki gsx-750 & 1100 To my Ducati 1098.   The rear tire setup changes the confidence level when tilting over.

Don't underestimate the influence of the angle of the front fork on all this. I guess there is a big difference between your Ducati and a HD :lol: 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, SeattleAbarth said:

the wide tire tire design is interesting... and from riding different motorcycles. I'm hoping it provides the wider contact patch like a sports bike :)

I think it will be great for off-roading, as it will help finding grip when running over uneven surfaces. Also less chance of slippage or sliding I think. There will always be a part of the tire able to touch the ground. The contact patch of narrower tires becomes "vertical" a lot faster if you understand what I mean. It will also run a lot better over cracks/holes in the road. Won't get stuck as fast.

Any ETA for this thing yet?

Edited by ir_fuel
  • Upvote 1