1 hour ago, Mono said:

Or in other words, the controller just turns the motor on and off repeatedly in very short periods of time?

Basically, yes. But it's not that easy, you see. The controller is feeding an alternating voltage to some coils, and the envelope curve of that alternating voltage is also an alternating voltage. The first one has a frequency of some 6 to 25kHz, depending on the manufacturer. The second one has a frequency of 0-500Hz, depending on the present speed. So what happens if you feed this to some coils? As a competent scientist you should be able to figure this one out. Hint: there are phase variances involved.

Edited by Slaughthammer
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Chriull said:

"modulate" was introduced by you?

true, I believe I was referring to "the controller which "steps down" the battery voltage as needed" as "modulate voltage".

• Upvote 1

The road is long
With many a winding turn
That leads us to who knows where
Who knows when
But I'm strong
Strong enough to carry  (it ;) ) 

(It) ain't heavy, ´(It)'s my EEE UUU CCC 

...  :D

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, jojo33 said:

"It's not heavy, it's lighter than a salad !"

Screenshot_2017-08-16-12-39-01.thumb.jpg.5ccfb30322cd7ad0cf53a2b2999f5cd6.jpg Screenshot_2017-08-16-12-38-53.thumb.jpg.207b564f1ff487b5b5abdc660c03e758.jpg Screenshot_2017-08-16-12-39-25.jpg.aa30b8d61dc12fdada4782e5be4d8f6e.jpg

More pictures please!  Any other more detailed news about the weight?  

ALSO if Ninebot people watch this thread ( I am sure they are )  PLEASE modify lower part of the pedals in such way that it is possible to kick the pedal to put it down as in this movie  

• Upvote 1

Also - can anybody from NINEBOT confirm if on IFA fairs in Berlin (1-6 of September) You are going to show the Z models?

I will be happy to visit Your stand in such case...

20 hours ago, LanghamP said:

That video is highly misleading because while a bicycle can coast an EUC pushes huge and sudden power pulses to keep you balanced. I'm convinced that a tire/wheel with more mass would gobble up substantially more power compared to a light skinny wheel. More massive wheels might be more dangerous as they take more energy and time to spin up and down.

Still, ignoring some manufacturers obsession with higher speeds, this might be the way to go. Big wide low-pressure tubeless tires, massive motors and axles, and bigger batteries with power to spare...but piddling range. I basically see the rise of SUV wheels which to me is a good thing but hopefully riders like @Marty Backe  will have a longer-ranged option.

• Upvote 2

On 8/14/2017 at 5:02 PM, Marty Backe said:

No offense taken. We're just talking.

I fully realize that everyone has differing opinions about the various manufacturers and the wheels that they make.

I'm OK with Gotway and will continue to buy their wheels. If I agreed with your statement "literally falling apart underneath you" then I most assuredly would not buy any Gotway wheel. But I think as a whole they work very well.

Your statement about the batteries is interesting. Can you provide specifics? I'd like to know what Gotway has done, and how you know it.

But you had a Gotway literally fall apart under you! Twice! Maybe more. Aren't you a bit wary of Gotway?

1 hour ago, LanghamP said:

I'm convinced that a tire/wheel with more mass would gobble up substantially more power compared to a light skinny wheel. More massive wheels might be more dangerous as they take more energy and time to spin up and down.

Compare the added mass from a wide tire with the rotating mass the motor and rim have anyways (of course mass times diameter). I am pretty sure your finding will be that it doesn't contribute a lot.

I have been a pretty vocal advocate for weight reduction of EUCs since ever, but I don't quite see the point in being too picky about tire weight. That said, I assume the new tire weighs less than 2kg.

Edited by Mono

...this model remember me the fat-bike solution: all terrain, more grip and shock absorber in one side, more resistence to rotation in other side, but better than a bike because with the euc the defects are solved from motor and batteries

Not sure if such a wide tire even makes sense. From the looks of it, only the center circumference will actually touch the ground on any but extremely soft surfaces. Are such tires commonly used for some application?

A standard, big profile mountainbike-like tire (not sure what it is) like @Joey Serrin uses might be better for offroad in the end (but of course has much higher rolling resistance than the more road-tire-like one on the Z).

But who knows, maybe this tire makes sense, looking forward to impressions of the Z in the wild!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, LanghamP said:

But you had a Gotway literally fall apart under you! Twice! Maybe more. Aren't you a bit wary of Gotway?

The ACM is the only Gotway wheel that has failed (fall apart, using your words) on me while riding, and that was under tough conditions. I'm not happy about it, but there was no mystery involved.

Every thing that has happened to me regarding Gotway wheels has been fully understood and resolved. It's not like they randomly "fall apart".

I still ride all my Gotway wheels with gusto, and just bought another one actually :D

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Tomek said:

(on the second pic, btw. you can see that it has a "sharp" profile, perhaps especially made to make it as manoeuvrable as the regular EUC tires)

I just noticed that, it looks like the width of a smaller tire is all that will touch the ground.  Maybe as some others have said, the wide tire is designed as suspension.

3 hours ago, Mono said:

Compare the added mass from a wide tire with the rotating mass the motor and rim have anyways (of course mass times diameter). I am pretty sure your finding will be that it doesn't contribute a lot.

I have been a pretty vocal advocate for weight reduction of EUCs since ever, but I don't quite see the point in being too picky about tire weight. That said, I assume the new tire weighs less than 2kg.

This requires calculation as mass which is situated so far from the center of rotation will have a huge influence.

On 16/08/2017 at 7:47 PM, ir_fuel said:

This requires calculation as mass which is situated so far from the center of rotation will have a huge influence.

It seems you overlooked this little "(of course mass times diameter)" thing.

The funny thing though is that there is a simple model to get an upper bound on the relative importance of the moving mass compared to the fixed mass. I found it in an article on bicycles discussing this very thing a while ago. 

The wheel diameter is at most moving twice as fast as the fixed mass. The point at which it is moving twice as fast is exactly the top of the wheel. (The tire contact patch midpoint is not moving at all relative to the ground.)

The rotational speed of the outer diameter of the wheel is of course the same as the speed of the EUC.

The implication is that the importance of the moving mass on acceleration or agility is very much overrated.

EDIT: maybe the conclusion was not entirely clear: it means that adding 400g to the tire cannot be worse than adding 800g to the shell in any regard.

Edited by Mono
  • Upvote 2