For me, range is the thing. Speed is nice if it goes up to 25. But some of us crave that true hundred mile mark. Hearing a possible April 2018 release date. I can wait. Tax return should be in by then. Like the idea of redundancy electronics to keep us upright. That fat tire will be sweet on these crappy mountain roads we got here. Oh yeah, as long as I’m putting out my wishlist, how about a wheel we can have fast access to and field repairable?!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gliderrider said:

For me, range is the thing. Speed is nice if it goes up to 25. But some of us crave that true hundred mile mark. Hearing a possible April 2018 release date. I can wait. Tax return should be in by then. Like the idea of redundancy electronics to keep us upright. That fat tire will be sweet on these crappy mountain roads we got here. Oh yeah, as long as I’m putting out my wishlist, how about a wheel we can have fast access to and field repairable?!

The prototypes were clocked at 40-45km/hr. I seriously doubt that the Z, or any other wheel, can achieve 100 miles on one charge given current battery technology. The exploded diagrams do show that the battery, despite being very large, is easy to access.

NinebotUS has had a fire sale on the remaining stock of 14" and 16" wheels, so I'd say the Z will be released soon after the turn of the year. It's also possible there is another product that they have been hiding that will be available soon.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gliderrider said:

But some of us crave that true hundred mile mark. Hearing a possible April 2018 release date. I can wait. Tax return should be in by then. Like the idea of redundancy electronics to keep us upright

Never ever with 1000wh you will get a 100 miles. Perhaps 50, that would go with half of the range ALL Euc Producers in reality have.

The redundancy Claims has still to be proved. Perhaps this only means parallel battery packs, which the other wheels also have, and which is no real redundancy!

Until nowaday there is no real redundany available, because there are some serious technical issues to do so!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, litewave said:

The prototypes were clocked at 40-45km/hr. I seriously doubt that the Z, or any other wheel, can achieve 100 miles on one charge given current battery technology. The exploded diagrams do show that the battery, despite being very large, is easy to access.

NinebotUS has had a fire sale on the remaining stock of 14" and 16" wheels, so I'd say the Z will be released soon after the turn of the year. It's also possible there is another product that they have been hiding that will be available soon.

I've ridden 95-miles on my Monster

• Like 2

4 hours ago, KingSong69 said:

Never ever with 1000wh you will get a 100 miles. Perhaps 50,

1017Wh on my KS-16S gives me 50 kilometers, about 32 miles. I do weigh 98kg (~210lbs), so a light person will get some more, but I don’t think anyone will get 50 miles out of 1000Wh with regular riding.

On 2017-08-16 at 4:21 PM, Mono said:

Compare the added mass from a wide tire with the rotating mass the motor and rim have anyways (of course mass times diameter). I am pretty sure your finding will be that it doesn't contribute a lot.

I have been a pretty vocal advocate for weight reduction of EUCs since ever, but I don't quite see the point in being too picky about tire weight. That said, I assume the new tire weighs less than 2kg.

As one that have handled that bloody motor more than once, what you say seem pretty self-evident. On my GT16 for instance, the batteries weigh in at maybe 3 kg, the pedal assembly, case and so on at maybe 3 kg, the tire weighs 900 grams, and the remaining ~12 kg is the motor.

I read a very interesting article the other day - http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/bicycle-tires-puncturing-the-myths-29245/ - which tried to debunk some myths about bicycle tires.

I especially got a eureka-moment out of this passage:

Wider tires roll faster than narrower ones: Riders have argued for years that narrower tires – especially on the road – roll faster and are more efficient than wider ones when in fact, the opposite is true. According to Wheel Energy, the key to reducing rolling resistance is minimizing the energy lost to casing deformation, not minimizing how much tread is in contact with the ground. All other factors being equal, wider casings exhibit less 'bulge' as a percentage of their cross-section and also have a shorter section of deflected sidewall.

As soon as I read it, I realised it is perfectly logical - and for some reason this little tidbit has managed to slip under my radar.

A true face-palm moment, as facts and experiences clicked in place with a logical explanation. Whenever you roll on a tire bulge, you deform new rubber. Your weight does some of that deforming, but the rest is the motor.

So 4.1" might be too wide for those that want their EUC as narrow as possible, but it probably won't be more inefficient.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

On 12/14/2017 at 11:58 AM, Scatcat said:

As one that have handled that bloody motor more than once, what you say seem pretty self-evident. On my GT16 for instance, the batteries weigh in at maybe 3 kg, the pedal assembly, case and so on at maybe 3 kg, the tire weighs 900 grams, and the remaining ~12 kg is the motor.

I read a very interesting article the other day - http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/bicycle-tires-puncturing-the-myths-29245/ - which tried to debunk some myths about bicycle tires.

I especially got a eureka-moment out of this passage:

As soon as I read it, I realised it is perfectly logical - and for some reason this little tidbit has managed to slip under my radar.

A true face-palm moment, as facts and experiences clicked in place with a logical explanation. Whenever you roll on a tire bulge, you deform new rubber. Your weight does some of that deforming, but the rest is the motor.

So 4.1" might be too wide for those that want their EUC as narrow as possible, but it probably won't be more inefficient.

You would not have needed to go that far, could have had this eureka moment also reading this forum :)

Edited by Mono
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, Mono said:

You would not have need to go that far, could have had this eureka moment also reading this forum :)

That's a different forum! :P And I shudder to think what riding a V8 at 100psi must feel like. Yuck.

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Kudays said:

I bet there are at least hundred people waiting to buy one from the Ninebot Z series in this forum. Still no updates about release dates? 

On 03/01/2018 at 9:14 AM, WaveCut said:

Still no updates from Ninebot?

I received nothing more about One Z from insider

30 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Really looking forward to see it in action (and priced).

Same here. I’ve held off on purchasing the Tesla for the Z model. I’m sure @Jason McNeil will be stopping by Ninebot’s CES display area and sharing some photos.

Word is that these are next final batch of test wheels, with changes implemented after the first prototype. The shell is one rolling change, definitely now glossy sted matte, presumably for durability reasons. You can see the screw holes for the trolley handle at the rear of the wheel, which is now rubberized, again presumably for durability.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, EUCMania said:

This is what I've been anticipating, other manufacturers adopting the wide tire design.  Crossing my fingers that Inmotion might have a 16" city wheel in the works.  That tire is ridiculous, though. 

I have recently disregarded Ninebot as a company to consider for an EUC due to my personal experiences with multiple failures and horrible customer service with my Ninebot One E+ and P (six months to get the P repaired).  And I'm still healing from the most recent failure a month ago (which I'm still troubleshooting what went wrong).

However, finding this thread tonight may change my mind.  This is the EUC design that has really been needed.  This is where Ninebot actually takes the technology they purchased with Segway and integrate it into the EUC.  This can be the turning point of having EUCs that are actually safe to ride.  Redundancy is the key.  Segway has multiple redundancies from the batteries to the control boards for the motors.  An entire control board can stop functioning and the rider will just be notified and can bring the Segway to a safe stop.  It does this by having each of the two control boards power 1/2 of the windings in a motor.  I really hope this is what they are doing with the Z.  

If it is all i hope it is, I'll buy it even at $2500 because it's still cheaper and less painful than hospital bills, recovery, physical therapy, etc from a bad crash due to a MOSFET or hall effect sensor giving out.  I don't really need the extreme speed but I want the reliability and safety that redundancy has to offer.  And now that I've ready all 20 pages of this thread, Ninebot has me watching and waiting again.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

@Cranium That the new Z will bring in "real redundancy" is just a rumour and not approved by any means. In my opinion the anounced chinese price even is much, much to low to achieve that. Some of the EUC producers in the last time talked about redundancy....and then it came out they only mean several parallel batterys, and not more. If the Z10 would have that i guess the very experienced russian reseller/reviewer would have mentioned that on his hands on/review....

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, electricpen said:

(maybe new Msuper?)

They updated the msuper V3 with the Tesla motor (thicker axle = thicker motor cables, 1900W instead of 1500W) and some other smaller Tesla improvements - firmware (presumably), added fans (at least that's what they do on the updated ACM) etc. Pretty sure that's what you can expect msuper-wise for the time being.

There's a rumored Gotway 20 incher coming soon-ish, though.

6 hours ago, Cranium said:

This can be the turning point of having EUCs that are actually safe to ride.

Yea, I'm hoping so, but also more or less preparing to be disappointed. We're talking about clueless EUC manufacturers, after all, they will fuck it up somehow:efee8319ab:

5 hours ago, KingSong69 said:

@Cranium That the new Z will bring in "real redundancy" is just a rumour and not approved by any means.

Yea, there comes the disappointment. Though, solid cabling + solid board (not to small mosfets etc.) that can withhold constant, long stresses should be enough. Redundancy would be nice, but isn't really needed if the non-redundant electronics are good enough. KS "S- level" (14D, 14S, 16S, 18S) or better should be good enough.