2 minutes ago, kasenutty said:

I don't think a guy riding into a big ass hole and another guy shooting his wheel down some steps is huge proof of major bugs.

I think asshole should be without a space in between.

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...
12 hours ago, mezzanine said:

It seems possible to me that we may underestimate the improvement in riding comfort that this wheel will represent.

I agree, waiting eagerly for the first proper reviews on the actual production model.

Although, while playing with a few 16” * 2.5” tires I noticed that the flattest profile of them was a bit laborous to get to turn at a travel speed. It wants to stay upright, so I have to tilt my body more than the wheel. I can imagine a 4” tire to be quite a drag regarding this.

14 hours ago, mrelwood said:

I agree, waiting eagerly for the first proper reviews on the actual production model.

Although, while playing with a few 16” * 2.5” tires I noticed that the flattest profile of them was a bit laborous to get to turn at a travel speed. It wants to stay upright, so I have to tilt my body more than the wheel. I can imagine a 4” tire to be quite a drag regarding this.

The profile seems to be quite rounded, just like the typical mc-scooter tyre.

1 hour ago, EUCMania said:

Ninebot 1 Z is said to have dual sets of hall sensors to reduce the chance of mis-cync. Do not know how this is done. I guess it may need 3 sets and use majority rule to ignore the one that mis-fires. 

Anyway, NB1Z should be my next EUC if the wide tubeless tire can indeed act like a suspension.

That will be handy!  :w00t2: Even though my Ninebot One E+ has been rock solid, hall sensor problems seem to pop up every now and then on other wheels.  Considering how cheap the sensors are it just makes sense to have some redundancy there.  I just hope it doesn't introduce a weak spot where adding some complexity ends up with more issues to deal with.  It could be that a few extra sensors are added and that if some fail the wheel can still function fine with a minimum of three sensors working.  Or maybe they have two pairs of three sensors in a group.  If any of the three fail, the wheel automatically switches to the backup group.

• Like 2

Looks like the Ninebot Z series isn't going to be released until March if speculation on the french forum is true.  I think that's when Jason said the 18L will be released, too. 

A couple of posters there are convinced about the tubeless design being a big step forward for EUCs.  The ability to run at much lower pressure being the design advantage that they're excited about. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, mezzanine said:

Looks like the Ninebot Z series isn't going to be released until March if speculation on the french forum is true.  I think that's when Jason said the 18L will be released, too. 

A couple of posters there are convinced about the tubeless design being a big step forward for EUCs.  The ability to run at much lower pressure being the design advantage that they're excited about. 

Agreed. Ninebot using tubeless tires on MiniPro already with success. So tubless tires in EUC department is a positive step up.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, mezzanine said:

That's going to feel like a long wait. Easily 6-8 months until most consumers will get their hands on either wheel. I'd love something with longer range in the interim but it seems more sensible to just save up instead. I also imagine the UK sticker price on the Z10 will sting a bit.

Edited by Kael
  • Like 1

When I bought my Inmotion V3C I almost immediately happened upon one of the problems of tubed tyres. As a newbie I had the lowest "allowed" pressure in the tyres, and probably went just under the minimum. The consequence was that the tyre moved a bit on the rim, and the tube with it. Suddenly the valve started sticking out a bit and I couldn't get it flush with the wheel, which of course led the bloody thing to slam against the shell on every revolution - luckily without sticking. I realised what had happened pretty fast, and deflated/fixed/inflated the tyres.

When I got my GT16 I started wondering why every MFG chose tubed tyres. They're heavier, not any more resilient, and have problems with low pressures, pinch flats and whatnot.

As I see it, going to a bit wider tyre and going tubeless is a natural progression. It will be interesting to see how it affects rolling resistance and range, but my suspicion is that the negatives will be marginal.

41 minutes ago, Kael said:

That's going to feel like a long wait. Easily 6-8 months until most consumers will get their hands on either wheel. I'd love something with longer range in the interim but it seems more sensible to just save up instead. I also imagine the UK sticker price on the Z10 will sting a bit.

I expect it to sting A LOT... :D 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, mezzanine said:

Could you share which French forum you visit? Do they discuss a lot about ONE Z? Thank you.

@cloudust espritroue.fr is the site of the french forum I've been referencing.  I may try to spy on south korean forums if I can get the translator to work. :)

@Kael It's quite a wait when you consider that we saw what looked like an advanced prototype and marketing information in early August.  Keep in mind, this is just a rumour based on a link I can't get to copy/paste with the translator.  If this represents a delay, the chances of a further delay are very possible.

The price is the big (depressing) question for me.  There's a good chance it's released in 4-5 months, but that I don't end up owning it for a year.   

@Scatcat Even in my short time riding I've learned the significance of tire pressure on performance and comfort.  I was riding similar to you with low pressure without even realizing it due to a lack of PSI indicator when I first got the wheel.  I can't remember if it was mentioned here, but one implication of the 4" wide tire is that it's also proportionately taller than other wheels.  I've been giving a lot of thought to the possibility that the tire width will have negative performance trade offs that outweigh it's advantages and I arrive at the same conclusion as you; I'm betting that the advantages are greater. 

• Upvote 1

try to translate the contents of the link into English. with Google translation of the Chinese content of the link in French, it is understandable, but horrible to read. so, I do not know if it will be the same in English. good luck :D

https://tieba.baidu.com/p/5273970117?lp=5028&mo_device=1&is_jingpost=0&bdid=&referer=partner.tieba.com&pn=30&

The redundancy features like extra hall sensors working "in harmony" might explain some of the suspected bugs we've seen. Unless there is a clear way to distinguish which sensor gives the correct output in all situations, things may get "interesting"...

The jury's still out on this one AFAIC, Ninebot haven't exactly shined since the E+. But it the torque levels are indeed high and they get the bugs ironed out, it may become a quantum leap. A big fear though is that the price tag will give me heart palpitations. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Scatcat said:

The redundancy features like extra hall sensors working "in harmony" might explain some of the suspected bugs we've seen. Unless there is a clear way to distinguish which sensor gives the correct output in all situations, things may get "interesting"...

The jury's still out on this one AFAIC, Ninebot haven't exactly shined since the E+. But it the torque levels are indeed high and they get the bugs ironed out, it may become a quantum leap. A big fear though is that the price tag will give me heart palpitations. :rolleyes:

If it truly is a quantum leap forward, safe and bug free I'm willing to drop the big bucks on one. I mean, e-bikes aren't exactly cheap either.