17 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

I remember @Linnea Lin Gotway saying that it basically would be crazy and not responsible for a EUC maker to make a wheel capable of that speed, but we seem to be slowing creeping up to that point.  I've always wondered what the top ceiling might be for a one wheeled vehicle.  Running off a 100 kph faceplant due to a wheel failure isn't going to be good!  :blink:

I'm a bit scared to push my Tesla above 35 kph without getting some more safety gear.  The lean required to eek out 10-15 more kph is not something I'm quite used to yet.  Hitting an unexpected pothole or road crack could ruin your day very quickly. Maybe with more time it will come eventually.  You really have to know the pathway/road conditions intimately to avoid being launched into the air due to a sudden sidewalk heave/road pothole that you don't see in time.

I guess though with motorcycles their top speeds are way higher than practical riding speeds so who knows, maybe there still is some bragging room that people will want to say that they own an EUC that has a top speed of 100 kph.  They may never ride anywhere close to that speed, but it's cool to be able to own something that can.  I know @yourtoys7 said he'd definitely buy one, but that might have changed after his recent accident (?).

Agreeing with most of what you just wrote, especially with the "top speed prestige ownership", which might be the motor behind new EUC developments thriving for the highest possible speeds, I still think there always will be people who can't resist the magic spell of speed. Speed is a drug! Last month near Shizuoka a motorbike missiled past me when I was cruising to Tokyo on the new Shin-Meishin Highway in my Cayenne with 210 km/h (don't tell anyone! ?). This guy (or girl) must have gone 220-230 km/h! And I resisted racing him/her, 'cause it might have pushed them over their limits. On two wheels such speeds are crazy, BUT I still admired his courage and envied him for the adrenaline rush he must have had. Such thinking and behavior (mine included!) is sick and needs harsh therapy, I know AND speed is a drug!

Now since there are skateboarders going downhill with longboards at 100+ km/h on public mountain roads, there will be EUC riders (I suppose the first will be Russian ?) who dare to challenge such speeds once the hardware is there. Nowadays people dare to climb Mount Everest in wheel chairs.

• Upvote 1

With higher speed EUCs I think we'll need to have some sort of suspension system as it would be pretty brutal trying to maintain control at higher speeds.  Imagine disconnecting and removing the shock/spring/strut assemblies on your Cayenne and drive at 100 kph for any distance.

Even if such a wheel could be engineered, where could you ride it at 100 kph?  You likely would need a license and insurance as it wouldn't be possible to stick to bike paths.  Making it road worthy would require signal lights and some foot attachments to the pedals as there's no way with all the bumps you can just rely on griptape.  With the wind resistance you also would be buffeted so it might not be  even be possible.  With the cruise control set on 100 kph try standing on the roof of your car... likely not possible... unless there was some sort of back bracing and belt system...

Ultimately I think even the speed demons in the crowd will find that a certain speed will be the limit even though the wheel is capable to go even faster.  There likely is a practical upper limit on these EUCs.  I think we're probably fairly close to it.  Making them go any faster is like trying to make a Honda Accord go at 300 kph when 0 to 240 kph is plenty fast.  It might be possible, but would it be practical and useful to do so for the masses?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

With higher speed EUCs I think we'll need to have some sort of suspension system as it would be pretty brutal trying to maintain control at higher speeds.  Imagine disconnecting and removing the shock/spring/strut assemblies on your Cayenne and drive at 100 kph for any distance.

Even if such a wheel could be engineered, where could you ride it at 100 kph?  You likely would need a license and insurance as it wouldn't be possible to stick to bike paths.  Making it road worthy would require signal lights and some foot attachments to the pedals as there's no way with all the bumps you can just rely on griptape.  With the wind resistance you also would be buffeted so it might not be  even be possible.  With the cruise control set on 100 kph try standing on the roof of your car... likely not possible... unless there was some sort of back bracing and belt system...

Ultimately I think even the speed demons in the crowd will find that a certain speed will be the limit even though the wheel is capable to go even faster.  There likely is a practical upper limit on these EUCs.  I think we're probably fairly close to it.  Making them go any faster is like trying to make a Honda Accord go at 300 kph when 0 to 240 kph is plenty fast.  It might be possible, but would it be practical and useful to do so for the masses?

What you say is probably realistic and I agree there will be and must be a speed limit for me and the masses. But what you say about shock/spring/strut (it's air-suspension by the way ? ) and wind resistance I wouldn't be that sure.

Look at this: 

I strongly believe we will see someone do this in a decade or so on an EUC. It will probably not be soon and it will definitely not be me ?, but I would love to see some Pro stuntman do it an pray that he won't fail trying.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, zugu said:

Yes, I think that the physical rideable security limit for the actual EUC it's almost be reached. .. ^_^ Even though devices like GW Tesla,  Monster, M-Super... KS18s and RW GT16 are able to keep sustainable speeds over 45km/h, at last I see that the most part of owners stay in a mean of 30-35Km/h founding in that speed the marriage among comfort, enjoying,  usability and security;) :D

With the EUC we finally found back to slow down things a little to notice the beauty of little things along the way the smile of a child or an old lady we pass and with slow speeds there is still lots of excitement while moving around. You are probably right with the speed you mention. It's perfect for the majority of riders.

9 hours ago, zugu said:

I still use my Solowheel Xtreme and it goes at 22km/h with a peak of 24km/h ;)  old Classic 1000w and 1500w firmwares went to 16km/h ... not the lovely Xtreme:wub:

Thanks. That's slightly less worse.:efeebb3acc: Unfortunately, the only thing it has going for it are the looks (which necessitate a tiny battery).

3 hours ago, Scatcat said:

MC-type tyres - this is why I find the NBZ take refreshing. It seems NB have realised that EUCs are more akin to MCs than to normal bikes. Especially in terrain or at high speeds. If 4.1" is too wide or not is too early to say, but I can say I find 2.125 very much on the narrow side.

In the near future we might see a completely new type of tire for EUCs, the one that also can move sideways. Honda is already doing R&D in that direction:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, EUCMania said:

t is strange for the timing of releasing this old review. I guess he wants customers to buy his existing stock rather than waiting for NB1Zs.

Sorry, i dont think that....

Like he said, he wasnt allowed to post any further, as it was restricted by ninebot. He also visited the 9B facality and made a video about that. As he is Ninebot distributor himself why should he make it more worse at is is? I see the eco-drift as one of the sellers who is pushing our loved devices...and that in a good way

And i dont see this "hands on" negativ or positive anyway,  its just a honest report......without much speculation.

A "each cell" diagnosing system would be nice...but we allready have that in our BMS,s its just that it isnt reported properly to the board/app.

That system would be a big step for 9b...as the e plus did not even have a balancing on the BMS :-)

1 hour ago, KingSong69 said:

A "each cell" diagnosing system would be nice...but we allready have that in our BMS,s

Really? I think current BMSs monitor each parallel block. They do not do pre-riding test by test-loading each cell to determine its health

Edited by EUCMania
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

I remember @Linnea Lin Gotway saying that it basically would be crazy and not responsible for a EUC maker to make a wheel capable of that speed, but we seem to be slowly creeping up to that point.  I've always wondered what the top ceiling might be for a one wheeled vehicle.  Running off a 100 kph faceplant due to a wheel failure isn't going to be good!  :blink:

I'm a bit scared to push my Tesla above 35 kph without getting some more safety gear.  The lean required to eek out 10-15 more kph is not something I'm quite used to yet.  Hitting an unexpected pothole or road crack could ruin your day very quickly. Maybe with more time it will come eventually.  You really have to know the pathway/road conditions intimately to avoid being launched into the air due to a sudden sidewalk heave/road pothole that you don't see in time.

I guess though with motorcycles their top speeds are way higher than practical riding speeds so who knows, maybe there still is some bragging room that people will want to say that they own an EUC that has a top speed of 100 kph.  They may never ride anywhere close to that speed, but it's cool to be able to own something that can.  I know @yourtoys7 said he'd definitely buy one, but that might have changed after his recent accident (?).  People buy Kawasaki Hayabusa's that go 312 kph, but who rides at that speed ever?

Kawasaki makes a Hayabusa now? :lol: I think 100kph is possible for an EUC drone, but not with a rider in the traditional upright position. Still, I can imagine @EUC Extreme being the first – if a manufacturer were to build an experimental prototype and sponsor him :D.

Edited by litewave
  • Upvote 2

Whoops don't know what the brain was thinking. :rolleyes:  Suzuki Hayabusa!  I think I was too distracted by the bouncing cleavage in Hayabusa's girl's video to type correctly!  :dribble:

@Toshio Uemura You do have a good point.  If those skateboarders can achieve 80-100 kph going downhill, why couldn't an EUC rider with a larger tire do the same on a flat road?  I would guess if the EUC rider could lean down to lower their centre of gravity and reduce their air drag profile that would help.  

People ski downhill at 254 kph so you're likely right that it should theoretically be possible on an EUC as long as the wheel can balance well at 100 kph.  From a practical standpoint though how many people willing to try doing that and where they could do so safely and legally are probably quite limited.  Any takers?  :w00t2:

Edited by Hunka Hunka Burning Love
  • Upvote 2

12 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Whoops don't know what the brain was thinking. :rolleyes:  Suzuki Hayabusa!  I think I was too distracted by the bouncing cleavage in Hayabusa's girl's video to type correctly!  :dribble:

@Toshio Uemura You do have a good point.  If those skateboarders can achieve 80-100 kph going downhill, why couldn't an EUC rider with a larger tire do the same on a flat road?  I would guess if the EUC rider could lean down to lower their centre of gravity and reduce their air drag profile that would help.  

People ski downhill at 254 kph so you're likely right that it should theoretically be possible on an EUC as long as the wheel can balance well at 100 kph.  From a practical standpoint though how many people willing to try doing that and where they could do so safely and legally are probably quite limited.  Any takers?  :w00t2:

That skiing video gives me sweaty palms just watching! Amazing run.

The trouble with high speed on EUCs is how you are 100% reliant on the electronics to be working. It's like flying a fighter jet - if something fails, chances are you can't coast to a landing. Conversely however, it's quite fortunate how mechanically simple an EUC is; there's not a lot than can break.

Edited by Kael
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Kael said:

That skiing video gives me sweaty palms just watching! Amazing run.

The trouble with high speed on EUCs is how you are 100% reliant on the electronics to be working. It's like flying a fighter jet - if something fails, chances are you can't coast to a landing. Conversely however, it's quite lucky how mechanically simple an EUC is; there's not a lot than can break.

Yes, but a fighter pilot at least has a parachute...

On 2.12.2017 at 1:35 PM, mezzanine said:

You make a good point about the difficulty of providing quality analysis with such a limited opportunity to ride the wheel.  It's more of a general frustration that bubbled over because of my excitement about possibly getting early insight on the Z series, only to be disappointed. 

If I spent thousands to travel to China to test the prototype, I would welcome feedback about how to improve my video impressions, purely from a business perspective.  It's tough as an EUC buyer because you're often limited by the quality of information available.  It's an inherent evil of such a niche market.  

I'm more optimistic about the benefits of the tubeless wider tire.  I especially think it's going to make riding at higher speeds more stable.  Whereas most 18" wheels are comfortable up to 35km/h, I expect this one will feel stable up to 45km/h, which is why I predicted that the first EUC-related fatality, if it hasn't already happened, will happen because on this wheel. 

I agree about the advantage KS/Gotway have in being able to make incremental and evolutionary changes to their products due to being active in the market.  I think this really long testing phase will compensate for Ninebot having been out of the high end market, though. 

" Whereas most 18" wheels are comfortable up to 35km/h,"
What? On my 18" msuper v3 it feels suuuper stable and safe even at 45 kmh. the faster i ride, the more stable it is. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 12/2/2017 at 9:09 PM, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

I remember @Linnea Lin Gotway saying that it basically would be crazy and not responsible for a EUC maker to make a wheel capable of that speed, but we seem to be slowly creeping up to that point.  I've always wondered what the top ceiling might be for a one wheeled vehicle.  Running off a 100 kph faceplant due to a wheel failure isn't going to be good!  :blink:

I guess though with motorcycles their top speeds are way higher than practical riding speeds so who knows, maybe there still is some bragging room that people will want to say that they own an EUC that has a top speed of 100 kph.  They may never ride anywhere close to that speed, but it's cool to be able to own something that can.  I know @yourtoys7 said he'd definitely buy one, but that might have changed after his recent accident (?).  People buy Kawasaki Hayabusa's that go 312 kph, but who rides at that speed ever?

Nothing changed.... I would gladly buy one and would push it at times to test it, what did change is:  better safety gear and I will NOT buy if it hasn't been tested and proven by company and users. 

my fall was completely user mistake and it happens all the time on bicycles and motorcycles, I just would like to see the device to be more safe, thats all :)

Today was the first time I went for a ride after the fall, I was going slow I thought, came home and checked my app, 38km/h max was reached.... sure didn't feel like it.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

In some ways it's a pity that the physics of electric motors preclude making a EUC without a hard limit speed-wise. It's also a pity that torque and maximum RPM are competing properties.

Maybe if there was no such problems, people would be more interested in how the construction, balance and stability affects practical top speed. We would see less people tempting fate to try out "the max", and less temptation for mfg's to go for numbers rather than safely usable speed.

Suppose we had a wheel with a motor that on paper could do 100 mph, then it would be more or less self-evident that the practical top speed are dependent on geometry and balance, not the circuit and motor.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, jojo33 said:

last pics find today

2.jpg.d99b025d2aa2705ab13de82dfceda470.jpg

I would not want to get up in the morning with that between my legs

1.jpg.3147437e142427c9f31fdc35950c6a55.jpg

3.jpg

In the second photo, look at the shoes.  They look like the wrong feet are on the legs, left foot on right leg, right foot on left leg.:lol:

Also it looks like they are still using the same pedals as the ninebot one E+, good pedals but I was hoping they would design new larger pedals.

• Upvote 1

At the higher speeds you would not stand on the EUC; you'd sit in it. That'd allow the EUC to still balance you even with some drastic power changes over the course of, say, a bumpy road where the wheel does some slipping. My guess is there will be suspension but not in the traditional sense of only up and down. You'd also be able to pivot the wheel left right because that would be the only way of countersteering a big heavy wheel at speed while sitting down. 

The future EUC could still be allowed on sidewalks and trails despite its high top speed because the form factor is small enough to fit between the feet. 

My guess is 50 miles at 50 mph miles, twice the size of the present MSuper, with suspension, usable everywhere, within five years. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, jojo33 said:

last pics find today

2.jpg.d99b025d2aa2705ab13de82dfceda470.jpg

I would not want to get up in the morning with that between my legs

1.jpg.3147437e142427c9f31fdc35950c6a55.jpg

3.jpg

Love it so "Fat".. :thumbup:... can't wait to try it :roflmao::dribble:

• Upvote 1