Mango

I get that they need a lot of fets to handle the current and that the higher voltage ones can't handle as much current individually as the lower voltage ones.

But 42? In a design where if a single one fails it stops working? Seems counterproductive to the reliability goal to have so many, odds of getting a bad one go up dramatically. Maybe mitigated if there's some proper stress testing of the boards before they get shipped out, but I wouldn't count on it. And the cost of all of those chips, wow.

Edited by chanman
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, chanman said:

I get that they need a lot of fets to handle the current and that the higher voltage ones can't handle as much current individually as the lower voltage ones.

But 42? In a design where if a single one fails it stops working? Seems counterproductive to the reliability goal to have so many, odds of getting a bad one go up dramatically. Maybe mitigated if there's some proper stress testing of the boards before they get shipped out, but I wouldn't count on it. And the cost of all of those chips, wow.

42 times something can go wrong. :thumbup:

15 minutes ago, Funky said:

42 times something can go wrong. :thumbup:

Not necessarily, The more mosfets, the more it will be distributed which actually means less likely to burn one.  The only caveat would be that hopefully they changed who they are getting their mosfets from so it doesn't end up an issue like the v12.  

• Upvote 1

I am really glad that Inmotion is in pursuit of building euc's that don't cutout. The V13 will be their first euc in their lineup engineered to be this type of euc. Even if they are not totally successful in their first attempt, based on announced spec's, it would be hard to say that the V13 is a superficial attempt.

Additionally, based on announced spec's so far, they also seemed to have taken battery fire seriously, and raised the bar in battery safety in the euc sphere. 

They also have taken water proofing to a new level.

Together, these efforts will really help to take the fear out of euc ownership, and perhaps attract a larger audience.

Moreover, for those riders who are in pursuit of shortening their travel time further, this got to be good news. 🙂

• Like 3

13 hours ago, techyiam said:

Cooling won't be easy either.

Isn't that why it has Two active cooling fans? If we go by that cgi illustration. 

10 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Nice approach, though, waterproof (is it? Raw metal connectors on the top?) and all.

Raw metal? Looks like they only have two XT connectors on top of the sealed waterproof case? XT are pretty solid water resistant connectors, just short of full pressured immersion. 

With two XT connectors, one to the battery, the other to the motor. 

You can unplug it from the top without having to crash open the case. 

Edit:

Screenshot_20220803-132252_Chrome.png.ed4fa06c863c10de403d5e883307defd.png

oh, the exposed "metal" you are taking about the blue and green wires? 

Does look like it's only held there with ring terminals... Looks like the wires to the motor? Guess the two XT connectors are for the side batteries. 

If those are motor cables, at least they are easy to remove?

But I can see your point about them being "exposed", seems interesting that everything else is shielded but not these. 

Edited by onizukagto
Screen shot added
  • Like 3

55 minutes ago, onizukagto said:

But I can see your point about them being "exposed", seems interesting that everything else is shielded but not these. 

This seems to be a 3D rendering. The actual boards will be splattered in some kind of Silicone... or maybe they will keep things clean with conformal coating.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, onizukagto said:

Isn't that why it has Two active cooling fans? If we go by that cgi illustration. 

Commander, EX.N also have cooling fans. That doesn't mean they won't run hot. 

But the CTO at Inmotion is claiming 1000 A continuous.  That"s  I^2 x R watt of heat. And the internal resistance of those mosfets are not exactly low.

We will have to wait for more details to really know.

Edited by techyiam
  • Upvote 1

I am allergic to sales videos :

Motorcycle grade connector / package  - yellow xt** connectors are not motorcycle / automotive grade. 
6 times more capacitor - I dont get why. More capacitor is not better, since it is about overall capacitance and internal resistance. Capacitors should not produce much heat - can someone explain what they mean ? :D
42 mosfets - pff again bigger quantity of bad part will not make final product better. 
 Quality before quantity !

• Confused 1
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, daniel1234 said:

42 mosfets - pff again bigger quantity of bad part will not make final product better.  Quality before quantity !

But you don't have any proof that the mosfets used in the V13 are bad. No details have been released yet, nevermind tested.

And if the mosfets are not bad, is the use of 42 mosfet bad or not bad, and why?

Basically, what you have asserted is that bad is bad. And bad plus bad is also bad.

Analogously, it is like saying 100 x zero = 100000000 x zero. Therefore, large quantities is not better than lower quantities. 

And then you draw the conclusion that quality before quantities. But your premise does not support your conclusion.

Your argument is based on very serious flawed logic, and no technical knowledge. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, daniel1234 said:

Motorcycle grade connector / package  - yellow xt** connectors are not motorcycle / automotive grade. 

I can give you a counter examples: CBR125R, Ninja 300, GSXR-750, have poorer grade connectors than the XTxx ones.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, techyiam said:

Your argument is based on very serious flawed logic, and no technical knowledge. 

Dear Immotion fan guy, I am sorry you got offended. There is thread named "V12 Cutout tracking" disproving your theory :D. Take a look ...

6 minutes ago, Chriull said:

So there could be some new meaning/definition fot "continous". I'd assume the marketing deparment just took the maximum possible current - which would be 7*160A (package limit) = 1120. But no idea why the rounded the figure down... ;)

Yup, excited to hear the details on how they implemented the 1000 A continuous capability, and their cooling system. You have to admit though, if they manage to pull this off, they will be sitting pretty when it is time to counter Begode response. 

5 hours ago, onizukagto said:

oh, the exposed "metal" you are taking about the blue and green wires? 

Does look like it's only held there with ring terminals... Looks like the wires to the motor?

Yes, I meant the ring terminals (thanks, now I know what they are called!). These are clearly the three motor phases (blue, green, yellow). Can these truly be called waterproof connectors?

Sometimes I wonder if manufacturers understand that some things are determined by the weakest link instead of the average. This seems like an oversight in "waterproofing" the wheel to me. Not that I expect that to ever be a problem (unless the wheel gets submerged), and it's way better than any other wheel. But still...

• Like 1

3024wh battery att 240 cells should mean same battery as Sherman. I have seen Sherman peak 10900 watts att 12A per cell.

Inmotion motor stated at 10 000W peak and 4500w continous would work with sherman like battery.

The mosfets can handle 200V but might see in worst case with fully charged battery a 10-20% voltage peak over 126 volt. During load and lower charge that will go down.

Motor currents of begode wheels can go arround 240A if i remember correctly. This is during low speed high torque on the wheel you can achive that. Maybe on V13 they manage to go upp to 300A and have the mosfets beeing able to handle 1000A. What ever max motor ampere they picked it wont be near 1000A, then you would need even bigger motor cables and magnets will saturate.

I think what they are saying is that the components will have really big margins. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, RagingGrandpa said:

But really, it seems the only "big margin" is in breakdown voltage (200V).

The rest is typical, or worse than typical, compared to today's EUC's. 

I'd say that the announced power and speed figures are larger by a pretty big margin.

46 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

I'd say that the announced power and speed figures are larger by a pretty big margin.

I agree that they will have great margins on power and speed if they put tiltback at 70 Km/h like the warning in the motor video. 

10 kw peak motorpower is not much margin at lets say 100 km/h. 

Here is one tour with a Sherman att 10,9kw and top Speed of 66,2 km/h:

https://euc.world/tour/600919900804307

On 8/2/2022 at 9:02 PM, meepmeepmayer said:

I'm starting to think the V13 price might not count as budget friendly...

Nice approach, though, waterproof (is it? Raw metal connectors on the top?) and all

Might be a good chance you don't (need) to more than one EUC for some time.

So bigger investment but less cost over time as you don't keep buying new wheels all the time. 

17 hours ago, daniel1234 said:

Dear Immotion fan guy, I am sorry you got offended. There is thread named "V12 Cutout tracking" disproving your theory :D. Take a look ...

Dear not imotion fan guy, I'm sorry you have been proven wrong. There are threads called Begode and Kingsong. :D

• Like 2