What got you started riding EUC's?

Scottie

I have a couple of basic questions for everybody. Well several questions divided in categories ... you get the idea.

1st) I'm interested to know what got you started riding. Do you remember that 1st spark of interest? How did you 1st find out about EUCs? What made you take the leap?

2nd) Have you persuaded anyone else that you know to try riding one? Did anyone you know approach you and ask that you teach them from the beginning, from where they could not ride at all? And the same question but for a stranger that possibly saw you riding and got very interested? Did you help anyone choose a wheel? These kinds of questions are related to you helping someone in person, not over the internet.

Anything you can share here could be helpful to someone.

• Like 3

1. Tired of public transit, so I was looking for an alternative.
At first, I searched for a long board (actually bought one) and electric skateboard.
Then Onewheel videos popup on my Youtube, looks so cool, need to get one.
I searched long and hard for a used Onewheel (at the time, Pint was not out yet, and XR just too damn expensive...).
And then, EUC videos start to show up on my youtube.... after a lot of reddit, youtube and debate with myself, I got a V8 while it's on sale.

2. No, I just answer all the questions throw at me, but I'm not encourage anyone to try and learn EUC.
It's dangerous, and it's an expensive hobby (if you don't use it for commuting), so I can see it's not for everyone.
Did offer to all of my colleagues riding it if they want, only one guy tried, the rest refused knowing it's $1000+ :D 

• Like 2

1. I work in a retail business that sells Kitesurfing/Windsurfing and Bicycles . At my urging we added Onewheel to our product line. While watching videos on Youtube about the Onewheel, Some EUC video's appeared and I was immediately interested in them. What made me purchase the first wheel was, I really wanted to learn how to do it . I thought it would be very challenging to learn . In hindsight, it was not as difficult as I first thought it was going to be. I received excellent information from the forum members here about purchasing all my wheels.

2. The only person I have persuaded to ride is my wife. She has picked it up rather fast and is comfortable on the wheel(18XL). The both of us still have plenty to learn. Almost every ride ,I speak to someone about what an EUC is. The typical questions are, hard to learn, how fast is it and how much is it? I have offered some of my buddies a try but they are very concerned about getting injured. I can completely understand that.

Edited by bigwave
  • Like 2

A guest where I work in the summer was riding one.  It my first sight of an ewheel.  

This winter I found a close out on a Ninebot One E+ for under $300 and I went for it.

Bruce

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

1) was travelling and saw several riders in Paris. had to hv one after...

2) many hv asked to try and i hv helped maybe 10 people to learn the basics. my learning/teaching approach:

Edited by amelanso
  • Like 3

I started with a hoverboard that I got for my birthday, took me 5 min to learn, 1 month later my wife showed me a youtube vid of an EUC, one month later I bought a used one for $180 (14" Freeman). Took me quite a while to learn, 5 weeks and many bruises later I could ride. Then came a V8, Mten3, 16x, and now MSX Pro HS. Hooked for life ...

• Like 3

CTO at my previous company rode a Glide 2, but I was never intrigued by it when he had it and thought it was "dangerous".

I was a scooter guy first. Owned a Xiaomi M365, then upgraded to  a Mercane WideWheel. I was addicted to scooters, and wanted something even more powerful than the widewheel, so I went down this rabbit hole of researching more powerful scooters. I almost pulled the trigger on the Kaabo Mantis from FluidFreeRides, but then a bunch of YouTubing led me to BenFox/ @Afeez Kay video on Scooter vs EUC. Afeez just had this smile on his face when riding the EUC - how free he looked. Then I believe I watched "TheTophers" video on the V8. And I believe it was @Preston Palmer who said something along the lines of "this is the most fun you'll get for a $1000". And... that was when went and bought a V8. Fast forward now (~7 months now?) I've owned a Nikola and now riding a 16x while my previous CTO still rides his glide 2 haha.

YT Videos Referenced:

Edited by davinche
  • Like 3

Thanks for the replies. I'm not in marketing or anything. This was just idle curiosity. All I needed was a 20 second live sighting and I was enthralled. We all ride by folks that express amazement or curiosity ... but how many people pursue that, and how may act??

Let me be guilty of stating the obvious. So far everyone here that saw an EUC took matters into their own hands. About 50% had a live sighting and started the search. And the other 50% can hold YouTube responsible! :efee8319ab:  About 20% of the replies mentioned they were actively seeking a transportation solution when YouTube helped them out with the EUC. I did not see a story where anyone was recruited (if I can use that word). The closest to being recruited were a couple if in-person introductions: @/Dev/Null who was "helping-a-brother-out" and @ShanesPlanet who stepped on a friends wheel, and then both of them took matters into there own hands from there. Just over 33% admitted to convincing, teaching, or helping new riders.

This is a tiny sample of the riding population. I wonder if the real overall numbers would hold close to this ... half live glimpses/sightings and half YouTube intros? :confused1: My gut feeling is that reality is close to this.

This thread is also curious about total numbers.

Edited by Scottie
  • Like 2

I started with a mini Segway. Pretty cool for a little while but it only had a range of 15 miles and a max speed of 10.4 mph. It just started feeling too slow. Then I found out about EUCs! Forgetaboutit. That's all I needed to jump all in.

• Like 1

Hey, I started because I got nectar points that I wanted to spend, it's a UK loyalty scheme where you collect points and you can spend it on stuff, I was going to get some e-skates (like segway drift w1)

https://store.segway.com/segway-drift-w1

After watching some youtube reviews they all linked to EUCs, then I remember seeing some in London, thought they looked quite cool. I had no idea how hard it would be to learn though, I got an EUC tried it then put it in storage.

It was COVID-19 and going into lockdown that finally convinced me to get the EUC out and give it another go, once it 'clicked' I was hooked!

It's just a shame that my V10 is broken right now and am waiting for it to be fixed...

• Like 1

Funny enough, a coworker/friend of mine crashed on a EUC, sustaining a wrist injury.  When inquiring what happened,  he told me he crashed on an electric unicycle. I was like, "on  a what???" He explained it was a powered unicycle and i thought that wow that sounds incredibly dangerous!  Then I got to googling and stumbled across V8/Glide 3 videos mostly from those 2 guys from Minnesota, and thought, wow those things look awesome, so I got to asking him more about them, and he mentioned it was one of the favorite purchases he made.  The more I heard/found/read/watched, the more I wanted one. But also WEAR WRIST GUARDS AND A HELMET!

Then I got that glide 3 and, yes, it was awesome and I am hooked!

• Like 3

On 6/16/2020 at 4:15 PM, davinche said:

CTO at my previous company rode a Glide 2, but I was never intrigued by it when he had it and thought it was "dangerous".

I was a scooter guy first. Owned a Xiaomi M365, then upgraded to  a Mercane WideWheel. I was addicted to scooters, and wanted something even more powerful than the widewheel, so I went down this rabbit hole of researching more powerful scooters. I almost pulled the trigger on the Kaabo Mantis from FluidFreeRides, but then a bunch of YouTubing led me to BenFox/ @Afeez Kay video on Scooter vs EUC. Afeez just had this smile on his face when riding the EUC - how free he looked. Then I believe I watched "TheTophers" video on the V8. And I believe it was @Preston Palmer who said something along the lines of "this is the most fun you'll get for a $1000". And... that was when went and bought a V8. Fast forward now (~7 months now?) I've owned a Nikola and now riding a 16x while my previous CTO still rides his glide 2 haha.

YT Videos Referenced:

Yes, Preston's vids sold me on a glide 3 too! And totally agree, hard pressed to find a funner thing to spend ~$900 on!

below is my answer why I started riding EUC :D

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Started conversation: February 16, 2016

Hi mate.

You inspired me to buy GotWay MSuper.

Thanks for posting videos on youtube.

Edited by Esbu
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I saw some kids at a local park, zipping around on these weird-looking things, and was instantly intrigued.  I’d seen people on e-scooters, skateboards, what have you, but this was new.  Knew I had to have one.  Bought one a couple of weeks later, no regrets.

Haven’t yet talked anyone else into an EUC, but I sure get a lot of people talking to me about it.  

• Like 2

Its Covid19 and distancing is boring. Saw my neighbour on his onewheel just relaxing after work by zipping around the neighborhood. It got me thinking about bicycling. That research got me thinking personal electric vehicles. I was gonna get a one wheel as well but the price is so high and face planting turned me off completely so I decided on escooter. I bought a Ninebot Max and having a blast just exploring my area and its alleys and then to the dykes. I was hooked on minimalist electric motor vehicles. My wife decided that she was gonna ride the scooter on our bike trail ride Which left me on a smaller bicycle. She seemed to enjoy the scooter alot so I thought it would be nice if we can eride around together but instead of another scooter, I would get a different form factor. Was considering a folding ebike but EUC became apparent was the most elemental form of rolling around , although still dangerous to failure and face planting. Watched a bunch of videos and a newer V8F popped up on Craigslist so I went for it. Its been about 100km now and I am still practicing on school properties to get my maneuvering down. It felt exciting to progress each day. Really tempted to get more power but I also think its safer to just stay local on bike lanes with these things. We will see where things go as I get more proficient.

• Like 3