King Song S18 Discussion

Phong Vu

8 hours ago, Scottie888 said:

But why are we so quick to judgement that the appropriate offroad tire won't fit? Is there proof or just innuendoes, rumors &or otherwise? Ok I'll play this game & say lets assume that a 18x3 offroad tire won't fit. How 'bout a 2.5" wide offroad tire? Yes I can already hear the arguments on the cons of a 2.5" vs 3" but I'm sure there's an argument in reverse as well.

The tire I had in my 18XL (pictured above) will absolutely fit and there’s nothing that stops people from using it. And you are correct in that nobody has proven absolutely that a 3” wide knobby tire would definitely be always better than a 2.5” knobby tire. 

My point was that it’s a shame KingSong is missing an opportunity to make it an awesome off-road machine as people are already calling it that. The rumor is that they solved the tire rubbing issue by going with the smallest 18x3” tire there are, the one with least amount of grip (outside of asphalt). So now the users a) have to change the tire themselves to make it a really good off-roader. And b) they will have to find a version that fits. If it had just a little bit larger wheel well it could fit the same tire the Sherman has, everybody seems to love it. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, AtlasP said:

...this is wrong on both counts. Suspension does significantly help with traction by increasing the time when the tire is in contact with the riding surface. And air-inflated tires do significantly help with bumps--in fact they are the primary part of a vehicle that does so, even before any suspension.

Yeah, like technicality (and taking words out of contexts) ever makes you right. But no, it does not, it just makes you a jerk.

Take regular tire, that slips on mud, add suspension, it will still slip.

Take regular tire, run into the bump that launches you off the pedals. Replace it with knobby tire, you are still going to get launched.

Edited by B08AH
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, UniVehje said:

My point was that it’s a shame KingSong is missing an opportunity to make it an awesome off-road machine as people are already calling it that. The rumor is that they solved the tire rubbing issue by going with the smallest 18x3” tire there are, the one with least amount of grip (outside of asphalt).

Where do you have the information that they went for a smaller tire?

According to the @Jack King Songin the "S18 Final Product Changes" they adjusted molding/dimensions to eliminate the rubbing noise. The tire they changed to is H5102. Is that a small 18x3" tire?

2020-07-20 11_40_23-Window.png

2020-07-20 11_33_33-Window.png

Edited by EldARon
Added image tire and info about tire change

48 minutes ago, EldARon said:

The tire they changed to is H5102. Is that a small 18x3" tire?

I think its one of, if not the narrowest 3" tyre around, yes.

As fitted to the MSX it measures 70mm wide, or 2.75". The H666 on the MSX measured 2.9". The H587 fitted to the initial S18's is also wider than the 5102. I dont have a measurement but I believe its nearer to if not the same as the 666 than the 5102.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, UniVehje said:

..The rumor is that they solved the tire rubbing issue by going with the smallest 18x3” tire there are, the one with least amount of grip (outside of asphalt).

So what you're really saying is ....rumors. Seems fake news isn't a recent phenomenon & is definitely not isolated to politics😁. Seriously though, personally I'm not gonna waste energy & grief crying foul over rumors which may or may not be real. Regardless its not something that I can personally change so why lose sleep.

I'll leave it to the peeps that's into these kinda things to update more rumors. Hopefully once we get our new toys next month, the fog will clear. Though I'm NOT with communists & communism, I do agree with the famous quote by Deng Xiaopeng..."It doesn't matter whether a cat is black or white so long as it catches mice". Personally I don't much care if I have to use 2.5 or 3 or 3.5 or 4 inch tires so long as it does the job I want. Others can OCD over the numbers or what perfection should be.

If it truly doesn't do the job, I biaaatch then.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mark Wilson said:

Sorry, this has probably already been answered, but will the S18 ship with the same shock as the preproduction model (the one the reviewers tested)? Can someone give me the model name for the shock?

At least the first 700 units will have the DNM AOY-36RC, same as preproduction. It was discontinued and is slated to be replaced by the DNM AO-38RC, but last I heard, King Song was in discussion with DNM to get them to restart production of the 36RC, however.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, redfoxdude said:

At least the first 700 units will have the DNM AOY-36RC, same as preproduction. It was discontinued and is slated to be replaced by the DNM AO-38RC, but last I heard, King Song was in discussion with DNM to get them to restart production of the 36RC, however.

Can anyone link out to higher grade suspension  that will fit the S18. I’m curious if anyone is going to dish out the cash and give a higher grade suspension a shot.

On 7/18/2020 at 6:34 PM, Mark Wilson said:

Does anyone know the specs on the shock in the S18? I was going to look at what other options there are just out of curiosity but I watched a video that said you needed to know several things before changing a mountain bike shock. It said you needed to know:

1. the eye to eye length

2. the stroke (amount of travel)

3. size of the mounting hardware (this is apparently sold separately)

The video for anyone curious: https://youtu.be/IuEKG5R1NuQ

Thanks for the reply @redfoxdude. @Sketch, I'll quote what I commented earlier (no one replied :( )

Edited by Mark Wilson

4 minutes ago, Sketch said:

Can anyone link out to higher grade suspension  that will fit the S18. I’m curious if anyone is going to dish out the cash and give a higher grade suspension a shot.

Could be wrong but I think the DNM air shocks comes in 165mm, 190mm & 210mm. There's no other specs that I've come across to indicate exact length. That said, just wheel it to your local MTB bike shop & I imagine they can give u the answer pronto.

I'm gonna play with mine stock with different settings 1st. If it don't do the job or if I'm finding I'm pushing too hard, I'll def look into alternatives. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scottie888 said:

So what you're really saying is ....rumors.

Yes, exactly - rumors. That’s why I mentioned it clearly. 

I don’t remember if I read it here on saw on some review video. Or maybe on the Kingsong Telegram group. But the wheel well seemed to be very tight. It might be that even with the rubbing issue fixed it still couldn’t fit the bigger tires very well. I hope it’s not true, I would definitely put a better tire on mine then. 

Personally I don't much care if I have to use 2.5 or 3 or 3.5 or 4 inch tires so long as it does the job I want.

Yes, 3” wide tires are probably not universally the best size there is for every usage. It’s nice that we now have wider wheels so that we can fit whatever size we like. A 2.5” knobby tire works very well off-road and might have advantages over the 3” tires. There’s a reason pro downhill bikers are not using fat-bikes.  

Edited by UniVehje

@UniVehje Amen brother! Lets anxiously await our new toy & enjoy it. The World seems to be going to hell (at least here in North America) so why get so anal over unimportant stuff. I can't wait to get mine to go burn some trails. When the communists take over, they'll likely ban anything fun or what the soybean drinkers define as fun 😅

More truth than this has never been spoken. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Patton250 said:

I’m getting my S 18 Friday and I was going to post a question asking if anybody had this video and you posted it. Thank you so much.

I hope you are planning on a review for us...

:)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Patton250 said:

I’m getting my S 18 Friday and I was going to post a question asking if anybody had this video and you posted it. Thank you so much.

U lucky stiff! I hate teasers!!! LOLs just kiddin' bud. Congrats on getting one of the 1st on the continent. In the vid, I noticed the side pads are quite thick now. It's so cool to have all the adjustments. Can't wait to play with mine but it's gonna be mid Aug. 

I'm so jealous😠

Edited by Scottie888
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Scottie888 said:

U lucky stiff! I hate teasers!!! LOLs just kiddin' bud. Congrats on getting one of the 1st on the continent. In the vid, I noticed the side pads are quite thick now. It's so cool to have all the adjustments. Can't wait to play with mine but it's gonna be mid Aug. 

I'm so jealous😠

I’m sure there are more people getting them this week. I just paid the extra money for the shipping from Jason.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Phong Vu said:

May I know what's this tire for 18XL? is it fit fine or we need to do some fitting work?

It’s fine as is. Fits very well. Like I said, it feels strange at first but after 200km you’ve got used to it. 
These are all the markings on the tire:

BN1vpxz.jpgupkySpr.jpgi49JR3K.jpg

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Patton250 said:

I’m sure there are more people getting them this week. I just paid the extra money for the shipping from Jason.

Sadly I only placed my order last week. Wonder when it's my turn. I really hope its still mid Aug but as per the usual, Americans gets theirs much sooner than us Canucks. Can't blame that as it's 10x our market but just getting antsy as all.

Regardless I hope u guys update us all on the wheel. Love to know all the facts to cut thru the BS. Except for a few YTubers, I much rather hear from the members here than just random vids.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ColoradoQuattro said:

We live off the grid in the middle of the national forest in rural Colorado...  Not especially ideal for charging electric toys, but we have hundreds of miles of trail right out our door.

That sounds pretty cool. How will you charge the wheel? Solar?

25 minutes ago, ColoradoQuattro said:

Howdy - just chiming in to say that I just received my shipping notification for my S18.  I placed my order back in May.  No guaranteed delivery date yet, but expected on Friday.  Will post some content once it becomes available...  Have never ridden an EUC before, but have been loving our OneWheel, and as a skier for 40 of my 43 years on earth, this answers what is nothing short of a life long dream.. Being able to "ski" anywhere.  We live off the grid in the middle of the national forest in rural Colorado...  Not especially ideal for charging electric toys, but we have hundreds of miles of trail right out our door.  The OneWheel has been outstanding..  I'm expecting the S18 to be an epiphany.  More to come soon, including what I'm sure will be a pretty epic bloopers video!  

Sounds amazing! You are going to love the places you can go on an EUC.

• Like 1