King Song S18 Discussion

Phong Vu

2 minutes ago, RockyTop said:

After reading the V11 and S18 posts I think that I have figured something out. The S18 people are pessimist :angry: and the V11 people are optimist. :w00t2: 

That must make the Sherman people realists. :efee6b18f3:

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Denny Lai said:

Did KS sends preproduction unit to ecodrift for reviews before launching it out?

i like ecodrift reviews more than those youtubers except I dont understand russian language..😅😅😅

The post here is the production wheel. He didnt liked the thicked padding at the top. I think.

27 minutes ago, eve said:

The post here is the production wheel. He didnt liked the thicked padding at the top. I think.

I agree with the Russian.  The padding is so thick it's uncomfortable to ride (20" calves).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Feynman said:

I agree with the Russian.  The padding is so thick it's uncomfortable to ride (20" calves).

For me its the opposite, i need more width up top as the wheel is barely touching my legs... i am a bit bowlegged from playing too much soccer and too little stretching in my teens...

I also need to make longer footpedals. I have a size 45 foot (11 US) and my toes are hanging way over the front to the point that i can curl my toes over the pedals... need another 2-3cm of comfort.. gotta see what i can fabricate for this.

are there any powerpads available for the s18 yet?

14 hours ago, fbhb said:

But there is another nuance. All of our shock absorber settings are nothing compared to the impact of how the rest of the suspension works. Painted pipes and plastic anthers are not the best pair of friction. The suspension itself has a decent viscosity, which requires extra force to move the guide pipes. And then there is the most important nuance that the suspension is rubbing. After all my experiments, the suspension just got better and easier to move. And this, perhaps, was the main factor that now the wheel began to ride very, very comfortably. If on the first day I understood that the suspension worked, but did not leave the feeling that something was wrong, this time I was already driving and got a huge buzz. The suspension began to swallow all the irregularities. The ride turned into a stunning unimaginable slip. It's very, very cool.

I felt similar when testing @FinRider’s S18 briefly. It felt like it’s stuck and not moving freely. It could be that many samples have some initial friction that needs to wear out for the suspension to start working well. There’s a lot of moving parts put together by the Chinese assembly workers and it’s early production. 

15 hours ago, fbhb said:

Back to the suspension. So, again, what do I want to achieve and what didn't suit me last time? Comfort. I want the suspension to be as comfortable as possible for the urban environment. That is, small curbs, bumps, bumps, jumping off high curbs and, if possible, of course, reclining obstacles. To make all this softer, smoother and did not cause significant problems. Last time, I put a block of kit in the wheel, pumped something, as written in the instructions, went and I did not like it. It turned out that I was doing everything wrong and the instruction was too close.

15 hours ago, fbhb said:

If we catch a big bump, the piston falls deep, then in the main chamber we have pressure increases, and in the negative decreases. Since the"negative"is very small, pretty quickly the pressure becomes not only zero, but also negative, i.e. the negative camera begins to help work and the main, i.e. shock absorber.

15 hours ago, fbhb said:

And once again, as I personally advise to adjust the suspension.

1. put the bar, the top chamber pumped up to 150psi

2. Remove the bar, the bottom pumped up to 50 (without stock, just 50, do not be afraid of the push when unscrewed)

3. watching your weight. Put the bar. Below 80kg swing 150psi, 80-90 - 160psi, 95 - 170psi, 100-110kg - 180-200psi, etc.

4. Remove the bar check the sag. If something is wrong, then again put the bar and pump the top chamber.

So, as I understand it, to properly setup the suspension you need to inflate the upper/positive chamber to the desired pressure with the block installed (about 150 psi), then remove the block and inflate the lower/negative chamber to the desired pressure (about 50 psi). If you don't remove the block before inflating the negative chamber the pressure will be drastically different to what it was set at? Is this what everyone else is experiencing too?

15 hours ago, fbhb said:

But there is another nuance. All of our shock absorber settings are nothing compared to the impact of how the rest of the suspension works. Painted pipes and plastic anthers are not the best pair of friction. The suspension itself has a decent viscosity, which requires extra force to move the guide pipes. And then there is the most important nuance that the suspension is rubbing. After all my experiments, the suspension just got better and easier to move. And this, perhaps, was the main factor that now the wheel began to ride very, very comfortably. If on the first day I understood that the suspension worked, but did not leave the feeling that something was wrong, this time I was already driving and got a huge buzz. The suspension began to swallow all the irregularities. The ride turned into a stunning unimaginable slip. It's very, very cool.

This makes me wonder if the people who said the suspension didn't feel as responsive as they'd like simply had over tightened linkage systems from the factory. (We already know some workers at KingSong get overaggressive when it comes to tightening bolts)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, FinRider said:

are there any powerpads available for the s18 yet?

this is my pad solution at the moment.

I opted to put the pedals at the highest setting for max clearance of the bottom bits - even though I have size 10 (American) feet.  I rode at the lowest pedal setting for a while, and while I could dig my feet in better, I hit a few things on the ground when compressing the shocks that took away my confidence when approaching curbs.  With the pedals at the top position, combined with the white pads above my feet - I feel 'locked in' and more confidence with the clearance.  I found with the back pads (top back side of legs), I really liked them tapered so I can rest my leg on them, but having just enough there to provide some extra leverage.  The acceleration pads are in a really good spot for me.  I'm 6'1"/184cm.  I used velcro/glue on the top pads, and double stick tape (plus a little contact cement) to adhere the white neoprene pads on the bottom

random, but anyone ride this with staggered (uneven) pedal heights?  I don't see a reason to recommend it, but if anyone wanted an unsymmetrical feel, the S18 can surely provide it!

IMG_20200813_222504(1).jpg

IMG_20200813_222533(1).jpg

IMG_20200813_222634.jpg

• Like 1

A comment under this video :

And NY crush. As for S18, we already have here in Russia a case when on just 25 km/h a guy haven't noticed a bump and broken a metal (!) plate on the top of the wheel (the one where all suspension rails come into) into two parts, it appeared that it is made of a powder metal of a very bad quality. Also, suspension doesn't work good on production S18 due to rails jamming and broken bearings (there are 14 of them inside suspension system btw and as the first owners who has disassambled their wheels say half of the bearings are come in unsafisfactory condition). Thus, looks like there is no much advantage in production S18 having 3kg more weight than preproduction one. After Speedyfit feeback regarding wobbling Kingsong increased the thickness of upper pads. As the result noone likes the new ones and custom designs are already created. I've preorderded S18 and should get the one in about 3-5 days but looks like instead of the riding I will be doing disassambling and fixing the first week or two. So both wheels have a lot of realability and quality problems

Anyone got pictures/more info about what he is describing?
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Planemo said:

Looks like a split rubber O ring to me? And how/why is the bearing broken? Looks like a normal bush with a few scuff marks?

Maybe.  Honestly it looks like a perfectly normal lock washer to me.  I guess I could take mine apart and see... but that sounds like work. :(

14 minutes ago, Feynman said:

Maybe.  Honestly it looks like a perfectly normal lock washer to me.  I guess I could take mine apart and see... but that sounds like work. :(

That's normal; look at the assembly video.

20 hours ago, Ben Hatfield said:

random, but anyone ride this with staggered (uneven) pedal heights?  I don't see a reason to recommend it, but if anyone wanted an unsymmetrical feel, the S18 can surely provide it!

To be honest most people have one leg longer then the other so this might not be such a bad idea. :thumbup:

8 hours ago, Planemo said:

Looks like a split rubber O ring to me? And how/why is the bearing broken? Looks like a normal bush with a few scuff marks?

All the active pivot points of the S18 suspension have sealed bearings pressed into them, as can clearly be seen in some of the photos below from owners uploads and the spring washer is also shown being fitted in screenshots I made from the King Song S18 Assembly video. 

This is definitely a spring washer being used and unfortunately it's being clamped directly against the bearing race surface/seal area leading to, IMHO, possible/inevitable damage and at the very least could very well be the reason some New owners have complained of the S18 suspension feeling stiff/stuck/difficult to move. 

A machined steel spacer or spigot/shouldered spacer etc. should have been used here to safely clamp each pivot point where a bearing is situated!  A hardened spring steel washer clamped against a bearing surface/bearing seal is most definitely an engineering No No!

The very fact that proper bearings are used at all pivot points should mean that the linkage should move very freely indeed, but the use lock/spring washers against bearing surfaces will definitely be working against that freedom of movement or worse causing damage/failure of the bearings!!! 

I have been in contact with King Song directly via Facebook to raise their awareness of this issue and hopefully to have it rectified for future production and if that does actually happen, maybe the necessary parts could be sent out to 1st batch owners.  I really do hope so, this is quite an easy fix but should really never have happened in the first place! 

Unfortunately, all the EUC manufacturers currently seem to be dropping the ball when it comes down to some of the small details/quality control and their choice of components and materials.

117445430_2696102430612719_8468101767144

118215733_2696101727279456_7106159002373

117888756_2696101870612775_3974437425270

117592094_2696102043946091_2856811550349

117703263_2696089670613995_7218519168531

117444768_2696089830613979_5897156026678

Edited by fbhb
  • Like 1