2.0 firmware for KS-18L/XL is available

Seba

@Marty Backe or anyone else who uses android. I have never had a successful firmware upgrade from the app. But now that I have the soft tuner app from KS I can choose whatever software I want! I can even put the 14S firmware on it if I want! This makes testing different firmwares a breeze and I'll never have to wait until other people find the bugs for fear of never downgrading.

Edit: I got the app from Jason at Ewheels. I got it during the whole wheel bricking fiasco and then again when I got the new control board and motor. Ask your local retailer if they have access to that app. It's really nice. 

Edited by Flyboy10
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Aneta said:

"Its almost as if i got a slight upgraded model for nothing." - this is very, very intriguing! Did Kingsong find a revolutionary breakthrough in power delivery? Are Gotway and Inmotion biting their nails now, as they feel left in the dust and are now technologically outdated?! OR did Kingsong buy the code with better algorithms from someone who stole it from Gotway? (that coveted "GW raw power") OR did Kingsong simply stop the intentional "throttling down" that was there from the beginning?

We want to know the Truth! (and some of us can even handle it!) The suspense is almost unbearable!!!

giphy.gif

Or may you just need to let the drama go.... Nothing to see here. 

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Flyboy10 said:

@Marty Backe or anyone else who uses android. I have never had a successful firmware upgrade from the app. But now that I have the soft tuner app from KS I can choose whatever software I want! I can even put the 14S firmware on it if I want! This makes testing different firmwares a breeze and I'll never have to wait until other people find the bugs for fear of never downgrading.

Edit: I got the app from Jason at Ewheels. I got it during the whole wheel bricking fiasco and then again when I got the new control board and motor. Ask your local retailer if they have access to that app. It's really nice. 

Yep, that's what I have too. Someone asked me to give it to them, but I can't as you need a login and passcode from your personal retailer. But yeah. It's nice to be able to roll back, then reinstall and iron out any of the issues. Or else I'd be in a spot of trouble right now. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Flyboy10 said:

Similar results on the legacy 18L motor setup. Sneaky quiet for sure! Heard some light vibration noise on my stand, and motor whine is all but gone (not that it bothered me before). Thanks for the vid! Boy do you really FLY on that thing!

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

Headlight is on red when charging.

Euc

And the light configuration is a bit strange but that’s something i can live with because the other stuff is great so far.

Tomorrow we have sunlight instead of rain so i will make a nice test ride. :dribble:

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Aneta said:

"Its almost as if i got a slight upgraded model for nothing." - this is very, very intriguing! Did Kingsong find a revolutionary breakthrough in power delivery? Are Gotway and Inmotion biting their nails now, as they feel left in the dust and are now technologically outdated?! OR did Kingsong buy the code with better algorithms from someone who stole it from Gotway? (that coveted "GW raw power") OR did Kingsong simply stop the intentional "throttling down" that was there from the beginning?

We want to know the Truth! (and some of us can even handle it!) The suspense is almost unbearable!!!

giphy.gif

Really, this is a ridiculously serious question (sans Charlie Sheen). I (and sure, many) am genuinely curious: HOW?! Not once, but twice in a row (1.13 and 2.0), Kingsong substantially increases 18L/XL's performance, so that users feel they've got a much better wheel for free, with just a finger tap. Paging @tinawong @Micheal Shen @Jason McNeil - care to give us a glimpse of what was done behind the scenes? Anyone heard anything on a grapevine? What's the magic?

Also, can these new algorithms be used in regular BLDC controllers (e-bikes, e-scooters) for better power delivery and to silence motors?

Calibrated 200 times today. I had it perfectly level, went outside and it had me on tiltback again. I checked with a level and it was about 5 degrees back. (I had 2 levels to just be over the top so i could be sure it wasnt my error). It kept acting up. Put it on medium mode and that was terrifying, lmao. It just kept rocking me backwards whilst riding on the sidewalk. There was a slight decline where I was riding. Was riding like i did last year XDDD. I had to roll back the firmware to the engineer apps ks 18l 200. (I assumed doing this would allow me to update to the "official" 2.00. But it just said "You're at the latest, dag" and i was like, nani? I calibrated again (Oh, btw, this was on my android this time) then found out that I can no longer access speed settings via my phone. Had to get my ipad in order to see it. Quality. Also, my wheel doesnt show up as my wheel on my phone, but it does on the ipad. Q.U.A.L.I.T.Y. 

After the new update, the crazy bounciness lessened and i realized imma just have to relearn how to ride this badboy. So i hopped on and rode around. I did notice the way it accelerates differently and breaking is amazing. It levels out super fast on bumps and stuff. I actually had to readjust for how i go over speedbumps as its hard to get my body over the front of the wheel with the pedal setup atm. I did notice my feet were noticeably more tired and i was a little sore due to the new positioning (Its close to level now, although I feel more pressure on my heels still). Although that may just be a conditioning thing. I havent tested too much with like going off curbs and stuff, as i really liked my pedal angle for that nonsense. 

Aneta:  I only have one and have only had one wheel, for not too long as well. I can not comment on anything other than what i know, and that is the 18l  with 1.13 and 2.0 firmware. Being so far from pushing the actual limits of power and motor functionality, the differences I feel are being made thru the way in which power is being delivered, rather than any improvement of maximum power output.  I would suspect that the noise is in relationship to frequency of solenoid or perhaps frequency of processing? Some of this is probably information that isnt readily shared, as a company MUST protect its developments or they will be robbed, copied and lose $$ on all the R&D they spent NOT copying others. Or the flip side, they can't say, as some form of infringement is occuring.  All I know is that I enjoy my wheel, it suits my needs so far, and this latest update has improved handling in my opinion. Of course, 'handling preferance' is all subjective.

Seage: Glad you are getting it sorted! I learned level, it just made more sense to me. Being able to face either direction on the wheel made it seem pretty obvious. I bet you are just using new muscles as you fly level now. Probably giving the ankles a harder angle to get that same forward lean you are used to. Hopefully a level flight will grow on you! I am trying to get used to NOT leaining over the front so much, as I think KS advised to be more centered for safety.  Ride them curbs like they arent there. Perhaps we are ALL overthinking ALL of this. Thanks for the update!

Edited by ShanesPlanet

1 minute ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Seage: Glad you are getting it sorted! I learned level, it just made more sense to me. Being able to face either direction on the wheel made it seem pretty obvious. I bet you are just using new muscles as you fly level now. Probably giving the angles a harder angle to get that same forward lean you are used to. Hopefully a level flight will grow on you! I am trying to get used to NOT leaining over the front so much, as I think KS advised to be more centered for safety.  Ride them curbs like they arent there. Perhaps we are ALL overthinking ALL of this. Thanks for the update!

Thanks mate. Doing my best. Its not that im doing a MJ lean or anything. Its more getting my knees forward and getting my body lower, so im countering with my butt. Its the way i ski. Although I'll probably have to mod my padding on the wheel for that. I have it set up all weird. Im usually pretty chill on the wheel, but when hitting bumps and going fast, i make sure to have a good bend in my knees. Im kinda stuck standing a bit too high for my liking atm, but this is probably just me. There's for sure some overthinking going on on my side. But, i just checked a recording i made of my feet on my pedals, and i rode in a circle, by time i got back around, there was an extremely noticeable backward tilt, so i'm happy to see it wasn't all in my head, haha. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Aneta said:

OR did Kingsong simply stop the intentional "throttling down" that was there from the beginning?

You really don’t read any of the replies you get, do you?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Aneta said:

substantially increases 18L/XL's performance,

Well that’s how it works today.

Most companies tweak their products to make them better or no. If it’s phones, cars whatever.

Look at Formula One for example, throughout the season they tweak the car till it works perfectly.

So i don’t see any problems here, I’m happy when they make progress and the wheel is working better with every update.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, RoadRunner said:

With iOS it just took a minute.

By the way, did you do the update on your 16X or are you still on 1.05 like me. :)

I use an Android phone. Didn't get a chance today, but I'll get it.

I'm still on 1.05 :D

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

Tried to turn a tight 180• but couldn’t because the wheel tilted back so badly.

@seage had this problem and I noticed it when right after I upgraded. I wonder if the sensor uses a compass in it's balancing. I can usually tell when a wheel is not calibrated because when I turn or slalom the wheel tilts up and down.

33 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

I had about a half minute test on the new firmware, without calibration after update. Tried to turn a tight 180• but couldn’t because the wheel tilted back so badly. But it sure was eerily silent!

Remember to calibrate after an update guys!

Yep. I messaged @Flyboy10 about this. From the responses by everyone, I thought I was completely alone in this. I've recalibrated my wheel several times now. Learned via trial and error that my forward tilt that I love is off the table now haha. I think they've changed how the wheel finds its balance. Since it seems to lean just as far the opposite way as the way it's calibrated. So if I have say a 5° tilt forward, on a tight turn or on a decline, it seems to tilt back about 5°, which, when you're not ready for it, is terrifying haha. 

I made a video showcasing the angle. It's really dark though, but you should be able to see it on your PC: 

That angle change is FAST. Faster than my old wheel that had the calibration errors. That one was rolly Polly, haha. This is an immediate shift. 

• Like 1

Not 100% sure if this is same for you guys, but this is what is going on with lights when pressing power button:

When powered on: full auto mode with night detection
1st press: rear light is white and always on, front light is off when stopped, it is lite red on if running, and strong red when braking.
2nt press: same as 1st but rear/front are reversed.
3rd press: front light is white, rear light is white, both lights are always on
4th press: all lights are off
5th press: rear light is white and always on, front light is red and off except when braking.
6th press: same as 5th but rear/front are reversed.
7th press: front light is white, rear light is white, both lights are always on
8th press: white light is always off, front light is red lite when running and red strong when braking.
9th press: back to full auto mode but without night detecton.

Edited by TomOnWheels
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, TomOnWheels said:

Not 100% sure if this is same for you guys, but this is what is going on with lights when pressing power button:

When powered on: full auto mode with night detection
1st press: rear light is white and always on, front light is off when stopped, it is lite red on if running, and strong red when braking.
2nt press: same as 1st but rear/front are reversed.
3rd press: front light is white, rear light is white, both lights are always on
4th press: all lights are off
5th press: rear light is white and always on, front light is red and off except when braking.
6th press: same as 5th but rear/front are reversed.
7th press: front light is white, rear light is white, both lights are always on
8th press: white light is always off, front light is red lite when running and red strong when braking.
9th press: back to full auto mode but without night detecton.

You have much more patience than I. After hitting it 3 times, I gave up and realized it was WAAAY too many. I only have a few brain cells left and Id rather the beer get 'em, than remembering lights.  I just shut mine off and back on if I accidently get away from the BEST setup... light sensing, white front, brake light on rear. I guess more options is better, but not something I really cared about.

• Like 3