My 84-volt Nikola Triumphs, Tribulations, and Failures

29 minutes ago, eddiemoy said:

Marty, the thermal silicon sheets usually come with some paper adhered to hit so to keep the sticking surface clean.  from what i can tell, that is is the paper and it wasn't removed when applied.  LOL.

There's usually a plastic cover sheet. It's hard to tell what that stuff is around Marty's MOSFETs from the video, but there shouldn't be anything there. I think your hypothesis could be right.

2 minutes ago, Jon Stern said:

There's usually a plastic cover sheet. It's hard to tell what that stuff is around Marty's MOSFETs from the video, but there shouldn't be anything there. I think your hypothesis could be right.

I’ve worked with this stuff a few times with water cooling drives on PC’s. Proper contact is definitely important. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Thanks. Please note that the board burned up because of excessive current and small MOSFETs. This was not a heat related problem (my weather vs yours). The Nikola was actually running super cool.

So you are at risk if riding in steep terrain. As long as you stop when the 90-amp alarm starts triggering continuously you'll be OK. But again, this had nothing to do with temperatures.

Yeah, Jason will get me up and running again. No worries there.

Thanks Marty, I'll try to monitor things on my end. I've bought a Bluetooth headset for use with wheellog so that will help, and hopefully sometime in the future wheellog will feature some kind of sustained current alarm that makes this easier to respond to (pretty please @Seba? Could I send a bottle of Whisky perhaps? :)). Did you log the ride by the way? Would be interesting to see the current graphs prior to the burn out.

Please let us know how it goes with the new motherboard, and whether the plus version will be an option. Having now watched the video I as well admire and applaud your stoicism! It wasn't even my wheel and I'm still mad as hell. What's the secret? Five hours of meditation per day? Heavy medication? Asking for a friend.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

He's looking for a 1600wh wheel

Ah.. get the MSX 100v PLUS then..shipped from Europe. Am getting one ☝🏾 

45 minutes ago, eddiemoy said:

I was looking at that too.  It is almost like GW tech who applied the heat spreader didn't remove the adhesive sheet completely from the thermal silicone sheet.  BAD, this would explain why those 3 blew because it wasn't make direct contact with the thermal silicone.  It was touching paper, then silicone sheet then aluminum heat spreader.

does the paper when remoing often rip and leave some parts behind?  whats the color of the paper? :) 

Hmm...I have a Nikola probably from the same shipment as Marty's.   Not sure I want to open up my new wheel, but not sure that shouldn't either.  

12 minutes ago, Nils said:

Thanks Marty, I'll try to monitor things on my end. I've bought a Bluetooth headset for use with wheellog so that will help, and hopefully sometime in the future wheellog will feature some kind of sustained current alarm that makes this easier to respond to (pretty please @Seba? Could I send a bottle of Whisky perhaps? :)). Did you log the ride by the way? Would be interesting to see the current graphs prior to the burn out.

Please let us know how it goes with the new motherboard, and whether the plus version will be an option. Having now watched the video I as well admire and applaud your stoicism! It wasn't even my wheel and I'm still mad as hell. What's the secret? Five hours of meditation per day? Heavy medication? Asking for a friend.

Thanks :-)   Unfortunately I did not have WheelLog configured for logging. I'll try to remember to turn on logging on my future wheel tests.

Regarding Stoicism - a good book. Here is one that I've read and offers a good introduction to a calmer way of living life: A Guide to the Good Life: The Ancient Art of Stoic Joy

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Dzlchef said:

Hmm...I have a Nikola probably from the same shipment as Marty's.   Not sure I want to open up my new wheel, but not sure that shouldn't either.  

I don't think there's much to learn from opening the wheel. To get access to the MOSFETs is pretty much a destructive process. All of the wiring on mine looked great.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, stephen said:

When you getting it have you ordered it yet 

Early next month.. the value of the MSX just went up after this Nikola MOSFET issue..

• Like 2

1 hour ago, eddiemoy said:

I was looking at that too.  It is almost like GW tech who applied the heat spreader didn't remove the adhesive sheet completely from the thermal silicone sheet.  BAD, this would explain why those 3 blew because it wasn't make direct contact with the thermal silicone.  It was touching paper, then silicone sheet then aluminum heat spreader.

Hmm, very interesting, thanks! (and nice spotting by @Rehab1). I'm not well versed enough in these things to add anything useful myself, but here's a link to Marty's post mortem at the time he peels off the pads (unexpanded for easier copying). The pad in question does not seem like it melted and ripped from what I can tell from the video:

https://youtu.be/UstREObHBX8?t=1821

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Afeez Kay said:

Early next month.. the value of the MSX just went up after this Nikola MOSFET issue..

LOL

50 minutes ago, Unventor said:

My point here is the GW vs KS doesn't really matter if you push past the limits of the wheel. Doing so will likely get you hurt. 

I just don't see any need to point finger at a fault at someone's new wheel that was in a special situation. 

I do understand things could have been designed better. But most of the EUCs we are riding have some querks. We are still in a young business.

People cry for newer, faster, stronger... But at the expense of testing. 

Now I do think it would have been nice to let some time pass before doing the GW/KS opinion wars. 

I am not special happy with GW, in fact I am happy with my KS18L. I do however see a benefits in competition between brands in the long run. 

Great comment!!!

No need to make this a GW/KS question.....

However...Hotway has decided to throw the smaller mosfets on the board....while the steady triggering og Martys Power alarm even showed that the Nicola is consuming amps as crazy...much more than other GW wheels! That makes this decision to go back to smaller MOS even more questionable. But as you said: All/most EUC have starting problems....to be honest: i dont know ONE Euc which did NOT receive any updates/improvements in its „iterations“ „versions“ „batches“....whatever you like to call it

• Upvote 3

20 minutes ago, US69 said:

Hotway has decided to throw the smaller mosfets on the board...

:laughbounce2:

3 hours ago, Dzlchef said:

The whole build situation is disappointing and I hope for a bigger MOSFET board release eventually, but I still love this wheel and feel confident that it will hold up under my normal riding.   I’ve seen quick spikes over 90A but nothing continuous and the temperature hasn’t varied much.  I only have 100 miles so far and have been riding it like I stole it!  

Sweet! You got a Nikola? Awesome! Don't let all this get you down. Not like Overheat Hill is standard riding conditions. Congrats on the new 1554wh wheel! 👊😎💜

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Seba said:

You can't use paste in this case, because metal tab of each MOSFET is electrically connected with center pin (so called "drain"). You can also notice a plastic insulation sleeves used to insulate thermal tab from the screw (that is electrically connected to the radiator).

This type of insulation thermal sheets is not adhesive and there is no additional paper or foil.

See the new picture I added. Clearly there was some "backing material" stuck to the thermal sheet. Any ideas?

Just now, esaj said:

What they could do is separate the heatsinks so that the 3 high-side mosfets with drains on the battery-line are directly connected (with paste) to the heatsink, of course the heatsink will then have the same voltage as the battery, which could be an unpleasant suprise working with a 100V wheel  ;)   Then 3 separate heatsinks for the low-side mosfets, one per phase, again with direct contact + thermal paste.  Probably too much of a hassle to build, and not very safe, but they could get lower thermal resistance :P

In general it's a bad design practice to keep heatsink at any electrical potential. It's also common that low-side MOSFET drains are not connected together and directly to the negative battery terminal, but there are separate shunt resistors to measure phase current. Also I wouldn't blame silicone insulating sheets as they're very goot thermal conductors. Not as good as thermal silicone paste, but difference is not important here.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2