My 84-volt Nikola Triumphs, Tribulations, and Failures

This fault was a human error/carelessness  in the assembling of the wheel. The use of that style case for the mosfet can be debated but as long as it’s current rating and heat dissipation methods are adequate then it shouldn’t be an issue. The fan should be flowing air over the finned part of the heat sink though but maybe there is some heat generated on the board that they needed to dissipate more than just the board without airflow. 

As an owner of a V10F, I sure wish these wheel designers would take a course on heat dissipation theory and practice. 

Aluminum is not that heavy to use more of it including some unique extrusions and machining designs to get the heat outside of the wheel while maintaining water protection. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, esaj said:

The paralleled (12 mosfet) setups have been criticized by power electronics designers before, saying that a single larger package and/or better rated mosfet should be used instead. Likely it's all about the $$$, cheaper to add a couple of smaller and/or poorer rated mosfets than one larger and/or with better specs. 

Thanks for bringing this up again...something i -normally- also mention each time!

Doubling a weak electronic component is just totally nonsense. especiall if The right/better/larger ones are available....

No need at all to have 12 MOS on board.....6 would do it easily, too...which btw GW prooved themself...on the MCM 5 board.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, maltocs said:

I keep thinking about my decision to buy a V10F last year as my first real wheel. It was because of it's reliability record. At the time, i was willing to trade off performance for a wheel that had a much smaller percentage of failure. I didn't want to be tethered to my app monitoring potential cut-out and failure. And true to form, I can tell you my V10F will not fail. I've taken it up a hill in palm springs when it was 115F outside in the shade (and I was NOT in the shade) and you guys know how many times it kicks me off with her voice telling me "OVERLOAD, PLEASE GET OFF." I'm glad I NEVER have to worry about it failing, but I'm always babying it playing a game to NOT get it to overload when on hills.

When I got the MCM5 which IS capable of failure due to it being a GOTWAY, I hardly EVER ride the Inmotion anymore unless I know I"m just cruising on flats. I love the performance and its ability to bring me up hills. Now if i was a speed demon, I'd be worried about cut-outs at high speeds, but I only need the power for hill climbing and I'm never usually going faster than 15mph going up those hills.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot my thought. In the end,  I'm willing to give up the reliability and safety of an Inmotion or KS for the performance of a Gotway.

Ask me again after my first MOSFET blow out.

Nice commentary.

I know I probably sound crazy still recommending the Nikola, but I can't help myself. Someone (a Russian I think - they usually have good wheel intel) said they just heard that Gotway is putting the MSX board in the Nikola. If true, then the Nikola might be the wheel for you because I can tell you that it has superb torque for pulling you up a hill.

Edited by Marty Backe
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I really enjoy my KS16S so definitely wasn't a Gotway person but the Nikola is just simply amazing to ride.   I love it more each time that I ride it.   Carving this morning was effortless and I'm sure that I had the biggest grin on my face.   

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Someone (a Russian I think - they usually have good wheel intel) said they just heard that Gotway is putting the MSX board in the Nikola.

Please be true! They should have done that from the beginning. Maybe the 100V Nikola Plus board is just the MSX board.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, maltocs said:

I guess I'll let you know by the end of the month if this is true. 

I'm taking a gamble here in the interest of wanting this wheel ASAP. First wheel not from ewheels.

Capture.JPG

Bastard :)

Congrat's :cheers: I really think you're going to love everything about the Nikola ride. And I feel much better now knowing that my failure was due to workmanship. What was the delivered price?

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Congrat's :cheers: I really think you're going to love everything about the Nikola ride. And I feel much better now knowing that my failure was due to workmanship. What was the delivered price?

I bought it when it was $2400 with a $20 coupon so $2380. Its my first aliexpress purchase. Now i realize how much prices fluctuate.It shows $2336 right now on the link, but when i click on it, it is $2368 but sales starts in 10 hours.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33031022213.html?spm=2114.search0604.3.1.44d8324ecJsAbD&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0%2Csearchweb201602_6_10065_10130_10068_10547_319_10546_317_10548_10545_10696_10084_453_454_10083_10618_10307_537_536_10059_10884_10887_321_322_10103%2Csearchweb201603_52%2CppcSwitch_0&algo_expid=b4b3794f-feeb-4aa5-8394-5c6adacad07a-0&algo_pvid=b4b3794f-feeb-4aa5-8394-5c6adacad07a&transAbTest=ae803_5

Capture.JPG

Edited by maltocs
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, maltocs said:

should have bought it with the app.. its cheaper and you can still use the coupons as well

3 minutes ago, maltocs said:

really? damn. well, now i know :(. Rookie mistake.

yup think you save like 30 bucks

• Like 1

1 hour ago, maltocs said:

I guess I'll let you know by the end of the month if this is true. 

I'm taking a gamble here in the interest of wanting this wheel ASAP. First wheel not from ewheels.

Capture.JPG

Nice!!! Think you'll definitely enjoy the wheel. I'm a little jealous of the all black but not enough to have waited. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bob Eisenman said:

MSX mosfet reference

Wow...bad tumble...hope the insta360 (and rider) are ok.

The MSX mosfet on the Nikola board was referenced earlier in this topic.

Frankly, this guy doesn't know what he's talking about. Other people have made the same observation of this guy. IMO.

• Upvote 2

@Marty Backehow about a doit yourself external compressed gas (CO2? or N2 would be inert) source (requires heat to expand into the gas phase) leaked into the main board space ?

or 

A thermoelectric Peltier cooling contraption of some sort attached to the heat sink plus MSX mosfets🤔

Edited by Bob Eisenman
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Harold Farrenkopf said:

Just use a heat pipe connected to the heat sink and connect it to larger heat sinks outside that area

What caused makers of computer CPUs to introduce water cooled cpu rigs for an electronic environment?

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/corsair-hydro-series-120mm-liquid-cooling-system-black/5845215.p?skuId=5845215&ref=212&loc=1&extStoreId=533&ref=212&loc=1&gclsrc=aw.ds&ds_rl=1260666&ds_rl=1266837&gclid=CjwKCAjw0ZfoBRB4EiwASUMdYfMXLOadRtiMbDsDfuM04qDxRsf-vLg5Zf17wDvQUQbP2Z2mJFXN1hoCPHYQAvD_BwE

Edited by Bob Eisenman

48 minutes ago, Harold Farrenkopf said:

@Marty Backe, this Nikola looks like a V10f in shape but fatter and much more battery capacity and a headlight that is aimed better. 

How would you compare them riding wise if the V10F didn’t overheat on the hill or have poorly designed pedals that break?

@Marty Backe doesn't own a V10F. He just used tester unit for his evaluation. It's the one wheel he doesn't own! But he's more than welcome to borrow mine as it gets about an hour of use every month just to make sure it still works. 

• Like 1

@Marty BackeI was asked to teach high school physics for a few years when I was a private school instructor. I had all the Newtonian physics fresh in mind. One day when the space shuttle launched I had a TV in the classroom just to witness the event.

The shuttle blew up with Christa McAuliffe on board. It was awkward standing in front of a class of students who were equally shocked.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christa_McAuliffe

A few years later , after the O ring issue was fixed, I took a trip to the Kennedy Space Center as a tourist.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Harold Farrenkopf said:

@Marty Backe, this Nikola looks like a V10f in shape but fatter and much more battery capacity and a headlight that is aimed better. 

How would you compare them riding wise if the V10F didn’t overheat on the hill or have poorly designed pedals that break?

The V10F rides like a smaller wheel (which it is), so it feels a bit less stable then the Nikola. Also, the V10F has a higher center-of-gravity which is less than ideal. This is not to say that the V10F isn't a great ride, but I prefer the Nikola to essentially every wheel I own.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, maltocs said:

@Marty Backe doesn't own a V10F. He just used tester unit for his evaluation. It's the one wheel he doesn't own! But he's more than welcome to borrow mine as it gets about an hour of use every month just to make sure it still works. 

Thanks for the offer @maltocs :), but I have much less riding time than some folks ;) so I have to be picky where I spend my time.

I was just riding my Tesla today which is probably closest to the V10F experience, except it's fast and doesn't overheat :laughbounce2:

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Bastard :)

Thanks for being an early adopter buying and testing the wheels so i can buy the BETTER one :) (MCM5 800W and now Nikola PLUS)

14 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Thanks for the offer @maltocs :), but I have much less riding time than some folks ;) so I have to be picky where I spend my time.

I was just riding my Tesla today which is probably closest to the V10F experience, except it's fast and doesn't overheat :laughbounce2:

I was just being nice because I thought you were feeling inadequate with a gazillion MINUS one wheel. 

Edited by maltocs
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1