Jump to content
Marty Backe

My 84-volt Nikola Triumphs, Tribulations, and Failures

Recommended Posts

Great open box video, beautiful lights, look forward for all your test rides and review:thumbup:.

PQ 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I made a raw First Impressions video as I introduced myself to the Nikola

 

Great video marty , i love the close up video , i think I'm taking back saying i don't like the nikola🙁 seeing it close up it looks nice 😊 

Looking forward to your tests,

So now you've had no choice about the nikola pedals but you've not mentioned them yet, maybe in your tests , do you like the size 😁

2 weeks for the hill test ,,,jeeez marty ,, I'll wait for my notification on YouTube 👍

Brilliant box opening video thanks

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The lights look really nice!  Looking forward to a review of the ride.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Jim Martin said:

The lights look really nice!  Looking forward to a review of the ride.

Yes, the lights are very cool. I think what sets it apart from all other wheels is the density and number of LEDs

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Great review as always Marty! So glad you didn't drop that beauty while performing the initial reversals. 

So are you planning to address the slippery sides for those occasional times you need additional grip? 

Edited by Rehab1
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pretty wheel! Day or night. I'd hate to scratch it. Thanks for the vid, Marty. I want to share what I had posted earlier about my first ride event: "Look up YouTube channel: TheBlackCobra . He let me come down to learn. It was great! More people came with their wheels. One guy went home and brought a few wheels. Some big, heavy, powerful, and fast wheels. I did a short drone video, YouTube: "Yuginot Y", of some of them on their wheels. Long drive, great fun. Started with the Inmotion V8. I was a total klutz! The Ninebot Z10 was the easiest to me, with which I had my longest ride. Wheels smaller and lighter, others heavy and powerful, making the selection of my first much more difficult. And, possibly, more expensive! I've even thought about the Gotway Nicola. I'm really trying to analyze how I may use a wheel realistically. Torture!!!!!". Learning event was in south central Mass. A 3 hour drive from here, yet well worth it. Marty, what do you think about the Nicola as a first wheel? Thanks...Guy

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Edit for my previous post: Correction: YouTuber: ThaBlackCobra  .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Guy said:

Pretty wheel! Day or night. I'd hate to scratch it. Thanks for the vid, Marty. I want to share what I had posted earlier about my first ride event: "Look up YouTube channel: TheBlackCobra . He let me come down to learn. It was great! More people came with their wheels. One guy went home and brought a few wheels. Some big, heavy, powerful, and fast wheels. I did a short drone video, YouTube: "Yuginot Y", of some of them on their wheels. Long drive, great fun. Started with the Inmotion V8. I was a total klutz! The Ninebot Z10 was the easiest to me, with which I had my longest ride. Wheels smaller and lighter, others heavy and powerful, making the selection of my first much more difficult. And, possibly, more expensive! I've even thought about the Gotway Nicola. I'm really trying to analyze how I may use a wheel realistically. Torture!!!!!". Learning event was in south central Mass. A 3 hour drive from here, yet well worth it. Marty, what do you think about the Nicola as a first wheel? Thanks...Guy

I think the Nikola has a potential to be a good first wheel. It has a great feel to it and isn't too agile (super easy to turn). The one downside is that because it's such a pretty wheel, it wouldn't handle the scratches that come with learning. However, it the wheel is sufficiently padded up, it would survive the ordeal just fine.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Guy said:

Edit for my previous post: Correction: YouTuber: ThaBlackCobra  .

Probably best if you just post a direct link to the video. Otherwise too difficult to go searching. Post it in the Video thread unless it's specific to the Nikola.

Edited by Marty Backe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Marty. I will...Guy

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very nice video Marty - I'll look forward to the upcoming ones very much!

Yeah, the startup sound.. I'll agree there, not a winner. It's not something I though about that much when getting it, but it's not great when used for commuting and as you leave you turn it on for walking it to the exit and the noise it kind of fills the room ("eh he, sorry guys, that's the exit signal again I'm afraid" - the joke gets old!).

I'm betting my 2 öre that you won't have a problem on overheat hill, but it will be interesting to see. It seems to handle load very well from my own tests, but perhaps your higher ambient temperature will expose something else. Regarding the fan, I seem to notice it when I'm done with a ride and stop the wheel, and the fan turns on (?). Could be that I just never heard it while riding and only when stepping off, but that's the impression I have so far, will have to pay some more attention to it.

Keep em coming.. :thumbup:

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

White shoe Marty is best Marty!

How would you compare the acceleration/oomph/zippyness/"torque" of he Nikola vs. the ACM2? Maybe that is better answered after some mountain riding though, which will clear that up some more.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

How would you compare the acceleration/oomph/zippyness/"torque" of he Nikola vs. the ACM2? Maybe that is better answered after some mountain riding though, which will clear that up some more.

@Marty Backe while you are at it, make a comparison to the MCM5 as far as zippiness as well. I'm sure the 14" MCM5 is more zippy, but how much more. I'm sure you'll tell us if this is now your go-to wheel vs the Z10.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

White shoe Marty is best Marty!

How would you compare the acceleration/oomph/zippyness/"torque" of he Nikola vs. the ACM2? Maybe that is better answered after some mountain riding though, which will clear that up some more.

I'll have to pull out the ACM2 so I have it fresh in my mind. Wouldn't surprise me if the ACM more zippy because of the tiny tire :D But the Nikola is no slouch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm particularly interested in steep uphill starting torque, and how it feels to go down a steep hill, which is where you notice the torque (or not *cough* Z10) the most:)

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I see you hunting all over for comparisons to the MCM5. No wheel will be zippier than the MCM5. You have to be will to accept a little less. But the Nikola is no dog.

We'll have to meet so you can ride it and form your own opinions. I'll be doing a ride the weekend after next, if you're around.

Absolutely meet! I've come to the realization that no 50+lb wheel is going to be that zippy. I'm definitely in the market for a 1600Wh+ wheel that can come as close to an MCM5 as possible. If only they made the MCM5 with 800Wh swappable batteries. But so far this looks to be the closest thing. Even looks like the MCM5's big brother.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...