My 84-volt Nikola Triumphs, Tribulations, and Failures

9 minutes ago, stephen said:

Where you buy it 😊

https://eunicycles.eu/en/16-inch/134-king-song-ks-16x-1554wh.html

Since I live in Sweden, this is one of the closest dealers near me. And within EU. I bought spareparts from this store before. When my first EUC misused my trust in them. 

This is the daunting part. Finding a dealer to trust, and you expect to be in business in the future too. 

Main reason for not going to www.speedyfeet.co.uk is brexit... 

Edited by Unventor
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Overheat Hill Smokes My Nikola

:crying:

I just returned from my mountain stress testing of the Nikola and it utterly failed (nothing like the smell of burnt MOSFETs in the morning).

So I owe all you guys an apology for defending Gotway's decision to revert back to the smaller MOSFETs. What can I say?

It's still a beautiful wheel, and as you'll see, it does have amazing low-end torque and was running cooler than any other wheel other than the MCM5. But it looks like the electronics aren't up to the task. So if you have a Nikola or are thinking getting one, don't ride it in tough high-ampere conditions. Note that my 5100-ft climb to 10,500-feet was a non-issue. So I think most riding conditions will be fine. But if you live in San Francisco, etc., be cautious and monitor your power consumption. 

Video at 10 :D

So sorry to hear that, hope you ok. Is the Nikola need new board? standing by for the video.

Thanks for all your testing on the new wheels.

Peter Q

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Unventor said:

Thank you.

Today I bought it.... the KS16X of awesomeness :shock2:

So right now I am just waiting for the KS16X order to arrive at my doorstep. I hope I like it better than @Marty Backe :efefa07c43::efeeb35c09::efeeec645d: his NIkola. :dribble:

So if you get by Gotenburg this sommer. Please let me know, we might meet up and you get to expirearance KS wheels 😉

Congrat's :cheers:  Was there any doubt that you were buying a 16X. I would be shocked if it's not a fantastic wheel. Hope you get it before winter starts ;)

10 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I just returned from my mountain stress testing of the Nikola and it utterly failed (nothing like the smell of burnt MOSFETs in the morning).

So I owe all you guys an apology for defending Gotway's decision to revert back to the smaller MOSFETs. What can I say?

It's still a beautiful wheel, and as you'll see, it does have amazing low-end torque and was running cooler than any other wheel other than the MCM5. But it looks like the electronics aren't up to the task. So if you have a Nikola or are thinking getting one, don't ride it in tough high-ampere conditions. Note that my 5100-ft climb to 10,500-feet was a non-issue. So I think most riding conditions will be fine. But if you live in San Francisco, etc., be cautious and monitor your power consumption. 

Disappointed to hear the Nikola was having trouble with overheat hill, especially given the relatively cool and overcast weather we are having here in southern California.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

That’s sad to hear, especially having to tote that heavy wheel down that grade and distance.  Hope the fix includes larger MOSFETs. 

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Congrat's :cheers:  Was there any doubt that you were buying a 16X. I would be shocked if it's not a fantastic wheel. Hope you get it before winter starts ;)

Uhhh that is harsh... Winter in California is the 14 and 15 month of 12 in a year right? 🤨😒

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

Bummer! The things you put yourself through to educate the community.

Being a cynic I think your other wheels got together last night and sabotaged the new kid on the block. 

:laughbounce2:

And thanks. I was really hoping it would do great.

• Like 1

So Marty apart from the blown mosfets how was the wheel holding up against those hills and rough terrain etc you have there..

I feel for you humping the heavy weight back down the hill .. We do appreciate your tests or any video tbh . 

I know you have many wheels for trail rides would it put you off going into the mountains or just the extreme hills .

Thanks again looking forward to any video you managed to put together 👍

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, stephen said:

So Marty apart from the blown mosfets how was the wheel holding up against those hills and rough terrain etc you have there..

I feel for you humping the heavy weight back down the hill .. We do appreciate your tests or any video tbh . 

I know you have many wheels for trail rides would it put you off going into the mountains or just the extreme hills .

Thanks again looking forward to any video you managed to put together 👍

The wheel was handling the hills beautifully. Lots of torque and it was running super cool (warmer than the MCM5 but maybe cooler than the MSX). It's just the tiny MOSFETs can't handle the current.

Of course I'll still enjoy all my mountain trails. I'll even take the fixed Nikola into the hills, but I'll avoid any super-tough (steep) trails in the future.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Sketch said:

I’m sorry to hear about this Marty.  I can imaging how frustrating this must be.  It seemed like Gotway was on the right track with the MCM5 and MSX. I’m kind of surprised they went with the smaller MOSFETs on the Nikola.  Seems like a great wheel otherwise and an easy modification for Gotway to change.  Good to know the plus version has the larger MOSFETs.  I appreciate you doing these tests.  I’m sure there are much more enjoyable trails than overheat hill you could ride on. You choose to test these wheels to help the community and fully disclose the outcome to benefit us all.  Much appreciated.

Thanks Matt!

Yeah, I certainly don't ride Overheat Hill for pleasure. If not for testing I would probably avoid it most days. I had a nice Nikola ride planned for Sunday. I'll have to make do with another wheel.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Thanks Matt!

Yeah, I certainly don't ride Overheat Hill for pleasure. If not for testing I would probably avoid it most days. I had a nice Nikola ride planned for Sunday. I'll have to make do with another wheel.

Oooh! Sunday? Do tell ...