My 84-volt Nikola Triumphs, Tribulations, and Failures

2 hours ago, Lucas Alexander Oliver said:

Have ridden 50 miles or so on my nikola and damn it is so much fun.  So smooth so powerful.  The fat tire eats up the road.. bumps,potholes, no problem.  I literally just wanna ride it. I’m at work right now counting down the seconds till I’m free so I can ride some more. Lol.  Nikola is an amazing machine... 10/10 imho 👍👍

:thumbup:

• Upvote 1

Sooooo I’m freaking,out.   I’ve got about 75 miles on my nikola.  Was getting the hang of it. I really really like it it’s soooo much fun to ride.  But I just stopped for a minute and laid it on its side in the grass.  The motor disengaged like it’s supposed to and all was good.... until I picked it back up and ,   Nothing.  It won’t re engage. I’ve turned it off and on twenty times.  It hasn’t been wrecked... I  Tried to calibrate, I turned it upside down, on its side, everything u could think of and nothing.   Just beeps!!!,! I’m  so ridiculously upset right now.  I waited so long and was sooo excited then received it and it’s perfect. I love riding this wheel.   But now it won’t even trolley home.  I’m stuck 15 miles from home. What the heck man I’m so freaking upset.  I had this thing since Friday night and it won’t work.    Ahhhhhhhhhhh please help!!!!!!, @Jason McNeil 

Edited by Lucas Alexander Oliver

7 minutes ago, Lucas Alexander Oliver said:

Sooooo I’m freaking,out.   I’ve got about 75 miles on my nikola.  Was getting the hang of it. I really really like it it’s soooo much fun to ride.  But I just stopped for a minute and laid it on its side in the grass.  The motor disengaged like it’s supposed to and all was good.... until I picked it back up and ,   Nothing.  It won’t re engage. I’ve turned it off and on twenty times.  It hasn’t been wrecked... I  Tried to calibrate, I turned it upside down, on its side, everything u could think of and nothing.   Just beeps!!!,! I’m  so ridiculously upset right now.  I waited so long and was sooo excited then received it and it’s perfect. I love riding this wheel.   But now it won’t even trolley home.  I’m stuck 15 miles from home. What the heck man I’m so freaking upset.  I had this thing since Friday night and it won’t work.    Ahhhhhhhhhhh please help!!!!!!, @Jason McNeil 

Probably best if you e-mail Jason directly.

Failures do happen, unfortunately :(

What are the symptoms? Does the tire freely turn, or is there stiff resistance? What exactly is the beep sequence (e.g., two beeps, 1/2-second pause, two beeps, etc.). Gotway wheels emit a diagnostic code which can often pinpoint the failure.

Edited by Marty Backe
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Lucas Alexander Oliver said:

strange for sure, after off for couple of min., it would/ should re stabilizing the wheel. I guess next thing would be disconnecting power, but thats pushing....

58 minutes ago, Lucas Alexander Oliver said:

Wait, so it turns on and stays on, just doesn't do anything? Or does it not turn on? Or does it turn on and turn right back off again?

1 hour ago, Lucas Alexander Oliver said:

I am literally on the verge of tears I’m so freaking upset.   What the heck man.       AHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

3 minutes ago, Lucas Alexander Oliver said:

So.  I’ve gotta say.  As upset as I am this is another way Jason with ewheels has proven to have the best customer service in the online sales world...  I emailed Jason and he CALLED. Me within two minutes.    Nowhere do u get that level of service but with @Jason McNeil from ewheels.com.   My nikola is acting like it’s still on its side. Or the motor disengage switch is activated ... it turns on. Connects Bluetooth.  Will let me calibrate.   But the motor never REALLY engages.   I’ve turned it off and on a dozen times.  Calibrated five or six times. Turned it upside down.   Smacked it.  Let it fall on its side.     Neither Jason nor I have a clue.   But. He’s going to ship it back for me and fix it at no cost to me.  So yes.  I am super disappointed and upset but Jason is doing everything he can so I’m not mad.      We will get it figured out and I’ll keep you updated.      

FYI Kingsong 18XL has firmware bugs too when lay on it's side..

Must be a firmware bugs but I'm glad Jason will take a look at it. A++ service!!! :thumbup:

i dont know if its even a possibility with the gotway wheels but did you try disabling the lift sensor? perhaps it thinks its being pressed for some reason.. i was scratching my head once for 10 mins with my new ks16s until the a ha moment came and i pushed down on the handle and viola working again, it was slightly lifted up so the motor was disengaged... on the ks though its a sensor not a physical button you press so im not sure how that could get stuck but if the app allows you to disable it i would try that and see? otherwise doing a hard reset like on a pc, unplugging the battery hold the power button for about 20 seconds then plug the battery back in

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

Probably best if you e-mail Jason directly.

Failures do happen, unfortunately :(

What are the symptoms? Does the tire freely turn, or is there stiff resistance? What exactly is the beep sequence (e.g., two beeps, 1/2-second pause, two beeps, etc.). Gotway wheels emit a diagnostic code which can often pinpoint the failure.

When I turn it on it emits five slow beeps that aren’t normally there.  And it has the tension that you were talking about in you video when the button is pushed.  The tire doesn’t go completely (limp)  but it wil not re engage.  So I guess I have to send it in and wait 😒 very disappointing but I’ve gotta say, the nikola was so much fun and felt so good to ride, the wait will be worth it.   

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Lucas Alexander Oliver said:

When I turn it on it emits five slow beeps that aren’t normally there.  And it has the tension that you were talking about in you video when the button is pushed.  The tire doesn’t go completely (limp)  but it wil not re engage.  So I guess I have to send it in and wait 😒 very disappointing but I’ve gotta say, the nikola was so much fun and felt so good to ride, the wait will be worth it.   

That appears to be the "Extremely Low Voltage" warning. When you turn the wheel on it beeps once per second for a total of 5-beeps.

What does the voltage indicator on the side of the wheel read? What was your battery percentage (approximately) when you last noticed it?

Have you tried connecting the charger?

1 minute ago, Lucas Alexander Oliver said:

Hmmm... voltage @ 80.1.  And battery is @ 80% and charging but still nothing . 

Well, be sure to tell Jason about the beep code. It's not the motor, and the batteries look good. So the failure appears to be control board related. Real bummer, and I feel for you :(

I know this doesn't help right now, but failures are why I have multiple wheels. I don't want to be out-of-action "when" a wheel fails on me, whether due to hardware or a simple flat.

If you ever find out what failed, please us know.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Lucas Alexander Oliver said:

Thanks.  Yes I am glad I have my ks16s to ride until I get this figured out.... I sent Jason a video so.   It’ll be fixed eventually.   I’m glad I ordered from ewheels and not from AliExpress.   Most definitely.    Many thanks to Jason for helping me out so quickly and efficiently.  I’ll let y’all know what was wrong as soon as I do.  Thanks to all 👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼

I feel with you, very frustrating! :( As you said though, a great example of why buying from ewheels is a good idea for those who can - I have no doubt Jason will sort you out as quickly as possible, I hope to hear about you being up and riding soon again!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

A rough trail coming down there, sounds like you got a good workout! As far as scratching the wheel goes, might as well get it over with, wheels are for using I say :)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, Dzlchef said:

My Nikola didn’t ship last week as expected so it’s arriving tomorrow morning.  Can’t wait to experience this “best riding wheel ever” for myself. 

I was a bit embarrassed by how rusty my skills felt when I jumped on the wheel this evening after not riding for a couple weeks.  I rolled out of the garage and tried to turn and almost fell.  Apparently the wheel wouldn’t lose more than a couple psi when riden daily but nearly went flat sitting on the stand for 2 weeks.  It took some time to get the feel back after pumping the tire back up.  Need to be ready for my new beauty tomorrow!

Someone is going to have a fun day :cheers:

Remember how much you enjoyed the ACM? That's nothin compared to what you're going to get with the Nikola.

Edited by Marty Backe
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Nils said:

Yeah, I definitely agree that the center of gravity feels good, for me compared to the V10F which is top heavy.  It makes for a very nice stable riding experience. Agree with the rest as well :)All in all, I'm very happy with my Nikola purchase. Buying the V10F last time I felt like I ended up with the lemon of the year but with the Nikola it's like winning the jackpot.

I'm envious that you've been able to enjoy the Nikola for so long while I thought I was happy with my wheel collection.