My 84-volt Nikola Triumphs, Tribulations, and Failures

1 hour ago, Rama Douglas said:

Well, if you wanna burn some mileage, I get off work around 4:30 today from Beverly Hills...I'll be riding a bit after...hit me up! 😎

I wish.   All of my managers are out and the last remaining is sick so I'm here until late.   I do have my Nikola so it'll be an evening light show on way home tonight!  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I inspected the board and thermal conduction material very closely. You're just going to have to believe me when I say it is extra material. It did not melt from any other parts of the control board.

I firmly believe that this is a failure of workmanship not design. It's coincidental that the wheel is also apparently using a lot of current. Maybe it's my engineering background that leads me to follow the evidence.

We will have to agree to disagree on this. Peace :cheers:

If there is a foreign object that is the path of failure then I totally agree with Marty.   If it wasn't under that stress then it would have failed at a different time.   He's lucky for the slow speed failure.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Mrd777 said:

I have the 1230wh 100volt  Nikola. I should open it up this week to inspect the board. Do we have comparative photos of the To-227 board, to the 84v version?

The bigger MOSFETs are huge in comparison. But I don't have a Nikola picture.

1 hour ago, US69 said:

but now pushing this hole problem to a tiny bit of plastic eveidence and say it was workmanship of the one putting the board together.

For instance PET has about 20-50 times the thermal resustance than thermal paste - leading to 20-50 times the temperature drop per Watt...

1 hour ago, US69 said:

What about the totally steady and ongoing over Amperage warnings you received? You said yourself that you never, never ever before,  received such ongoing warnings of beeing always over 90Amps on ANY wheel at all at overheat hill, not even on other Gotways, while with the Nicola it allready started at „baby test hill“....the very first heavy climb?

Did not get this point to this full extend before - higher currents more often with "smaller" mosfets... Poor mosfets! Additionally with prevented/hindered cooling...

@Marty Backe - got the nikola so much more "aggressive/reactive? Just top speed motor power did not make such a big leap compared to the last models?

Another explanation for much higher currents could be a higher lift cut off speed and/or a bit slower driving speed?

The smaller Mofets can not be the readon for the current, they just fry earlier...

... or by some new firmware version the reported current is a bit more off than it was before?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, US69 said:

Whatever: It was clearly a mistake to use the small MOS again.....

2 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I firmly believe that this is a failure of workmanship not design.

Gentlemen, your observations aren't mutually exclusive. And I hope Marty will repeat this test with a correctly assembled version of the Nikola. Sorry Marty but you have become our go to  test dummy  :lol:

• Like 3

And to think that he tried to get me to ride with him on Friday.   That would have answered the question of workmanship versus design but I enjoy riding my Nikola and don't have a stable with 11 wheels to choose.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, eddiemoy said:

I think the smaller mosfets with proper cooling they added might be fine.  It is when they don't get rid of the excess heat they blow up.  with the plastic not removed from the silicone thermal sheet, those mosfets are isolated since plastic is a poor conductor.  

The problem is we don't know now for sure if it would have blown a mosfet even with the more aggressive algorithm.  

Looks like @Marty Backe should try the over heat hill again after making sure the new board is kosher.  

Unfortunately I'm not sure if this is something that can be inspected without disassembling the board - something I have no interest in doing. But I may take it up the hill again :)

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Dzlchef said:

And to think that he tried to get me to ride with him on Friday.   That would have answered the question of workmanship versus design but I enjoy riding my Nikola and don't have a stable with 11 wheels to choose.

:laughbounce2:

If you had joined me it would have been a mellow Glendora Mountain Road ride :)  But in hindsight I'm glad I found the weak point in my wheel. When I get the new board I should be good for anything :thumbup:

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, US69 said:

Just to make it clear...

The Nikola in comparison to other wheels he Tested has been nearly on all hills, even the small ones,  over his 90amp warnings.

No other GW wheel did this on these hills. So my point is that the Nikola -for the nice torque it has- produces/needs more amps than for example the MSX....and because of that steady high amperage blow a Mosfet...my opinion at least!

And yeah, thats what a lot of people report...great torque on the Nikola for such a „big“ tire size.

So that’s exactly the point i make...Because of the higher amount of torque-amps the relative smaller type Mosfet is a design mistake.

Yes, the excess current will blow the MOSFET if the MOSFET does not have a proper heatsink.

5 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Unfortunately I'm not sure if this is something that can be inspected without disassembling the board - something I have no interest in doing. But I may take it up the hill again :)

I'm sure you'll be so curious you'll want to take it back up, but...

This is your personal wheel as well as your personal skull.  As an observer I'm certainly curious as to what would happen if you took your Nikola 84V back up but you know what?  You've done enough, IMO.  I'll survive if I never learn the answer to the burning question, "Will Marty climb Overheat Hill on his rebuilt Nikola without self-immolating?" ;) 

And if you do decide to return to the mound maybe it'll be after some more empirical evidence throughout the web-o-sphere suggests that your issues were a one-off.  Perhaps some other intrepid Nikola owners will challenge similar summits successfully, confirming your diagnosis of a one-off shoddy tear-off of some plastic?

Anyway, looking forward to the video of you doing the climb on your Nikola again next month...  :)

• Like 2

8 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Here's a picture of the TO-247 package in the MCM5 (on the bottom right). They're so big, you can't confuse the different types. The black casings nearly touch each other.

You do know that TO-247 is the "medium"-size? ;)  Plus probably there are some more special case / less standardized packages that are even bigger.

TO-247AC-FET-Package-prf715.jpg

15651-2-mjl3281ag_bipolarny_npn_260v_15a

Not that that big packages would be needed (at least yet), outside this incident, the mosfets frying on overheating have been very few in the last couple of years, or at least I don't remember that much cases compared to before that (when boards sometimes seemed to be popping left and right ;)).

The paralleled (12 mosfet) setups have been criticized by power electronics designers before, saying that a single larger package and/or better rated mosfet should be used instead. Likely it's all about the $$$, cheaper to add a couple of smaller and/or poorer rated mosfets than one larger and/or with better specs. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

It is simply both the design and poor workmanship.

Poor workmanship - all 3 blow up mosfets has this plastic leftover,  whereas others don't. So high current made them overheat and finally blow-up.

Poor design because it seems Nikola demands more amps so better to have bigger mosfets, they by size alone would also survive longer. Yet there was still a high chance if left with this plastic insulator they would blow up few minutes later...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

That plastic sheet looks like there were two pulls of the plastic in the process of removal. One pull from one side and they noticed it ripped and then they went to the other end and pulled it and it ripped again but the thought that they got it all when in fact they left a piece in the middle. 

Just extremely poor training/workmanship or care. They likely pulled it too fast. The assembler needs to be better at quality control and realize that is a critical component that needs to be done right.

they likely have the boards sourced out and the final assembly process did the error of pulling the film off too fast. 

I’d be concerned that this may not be a one off error with this assembler. 

What was the production number?

Edited by Harold Farrenkopf
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Chriull said:

For the 100V version, especially the 1230Wh - does anyone know how the battery configuration is? 24s4p with ~3500mAh cells or 24s6p with ~2300mAh cells? Especially with the high current demand reported  hopefully it's a 24s6p configuration - 4p could already be borderline by too much voltage sag?

I asked this question in the speed reduction thread and @meepmeepmayer answered that the 1230Wh is 24s4p. 

This holds true for the MSX as well and we have an MSX rider on the forum who is experiencing beeps at  around 35mph on his 100V 120Wh MSX. He seems to ride very fast and aggressively  though. This is in line with  the 53 km/h "minimum speed" for the 100v MSX.

• Like 1