My 84-volt Nikola Triumphs, Tribulations, and Failures

1 hour ago, TuN3M@N said:

"this thing is not able to read current"  -- Really? Mine provides very nice relative current measurements like all my other Gotway wheels.

Ok, now  i understand that you are really thinking that this thing was throwing nearly continuous 90Ah current. Sorry but it wasn´t. 

While it's never a good idea to feed the trolls, I encourage you do to please get some research done before commenting. The current Gotway wheels report is the motor phase current, which should not be a surprise to anyone doing their home work. Hence the phrase "relative current measurements" used by Marty above. You might think this is bad or incorrect or not, but that's neither here nor there.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mrelwood said:

The difference an inproper installation does to heat transfer is not very intuitive, as just a tiny gap of air will have a huge effect. I have no doubt that plastic melting and moving under the Mosfets may dramatically reduce cooling efficiency.

Example: CPU overclockers compare differences between thermal paste from different manufacturers, even when the point of the paste is only to fill the surface incostencies, not form a layer between the CPU and the cooler.

That said, going with the smaller Mosfets was a risky decision from GW. Also their talks about optimizing energy management for the smaller Mosfets turned out to be nothing more than hot air (see what I did there? :D). Combine these three, and Marty showed us what happens.

Edit: And the fact that the thermal probe didn’t register the overheating Mosfets (and the unnaturally cool readings from all GW wheels) suggest that the probe is located ”safely” away from the Mosfets.

The plastic film was carelessly left on the heat conductive pad. It looks like the assembler pulled the film from one end and it ripped and they went to the other end and pulled it and that ripped too but they didn’t notice that some remained on the sheet. It was there all along creating a high resistance to heat conductance. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Harold Farrenkopf said:

The plastic film was carelessly left on the heat conductive pad. It looks like the assembler pulled the film from one end and it ripped and they went to the other end and pulled it and that ripped too but they didn’t notice that some remained on the sheet. It was there all along creating a high resistance to heat conductance. 

And in the industry that I'm in, if this was discovered, ALL units assembled by that worker would be recalled and either inspected or replaced. I'm pretty sure Gotway just shrugs their shoulders and continues on :facepalm: :furious:

Edited by Marty Backe
  • Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

And in the industry that I'm in, if this was discovered, ALL units assembled by that worker would be recalled and either inspected or replaced. I'm pretty sure Gotway just shrugs their shoulders and continues on :facepalm: :furious:

Might be, but the QC inspector should be more worried. If something like this should not be there it should have been spotted. 

However I don't know what is right or wrong assembly since I have no insight in GW designs. 

But I think @Sebas point on design makes sense.

Could this happen at other companies, I am afraid so. We have seen batch issues the past year from all major brands that released new wheels the past year. 

I do hope this doesn't happen with the KS16X... I am perfect cable to crash it myself, don't need factory help 😉

• Like 1

This is much more likely than not a manufacturing defect (thermal pad plastic cover not fully removed). Marty will repeat the test with the new board and I suspect (= hope) it's just going to overheat (at most) then, just like all the other wheels.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Nils said:

While it's never a good idea to feed the trolls, I encourage you do to please get some research done before commenting. The current Gotway wheels report is the motor phase current, which should not be a surprise to anyone doing their home work. Hence the phrase "relative current measurements" used by Marty above. You might think this is bad or incorrect or not, but that's neither here nor there.

Maybe it is phase current maybe not, but what means this for the controller input? Is the phase current lower than the controller input current? Think about it... 

BTW. Next one who becomes personal... Nice style... 

BTW2. If another guy says the same that the GW current readings are not real all you guys like it... Nice :D

Edited by TuN3M@N

13 minutes ago, Michael Tucker said:

It seems as if there are two issues being discussed, and neither one is definitively being addressed. Instead we argue over possible design ideas and theories of math and science.

Issue #1: Was the board/heatsink assembled and installed correctly.

Issue #1 Answer: People who own a Nicola can open theirs and look for themselves (post photos). Marty will receive a replacement and also inspect.

Issue #2: Is the reported high amps normal and safe for the Nicola.

Issue #2 Answer: Only time will tell, like previous blown MOSFET issues. People will report if their wheels start dying. Even Ian at SpeedyFeet captured a blown MOSFET on cam while riding his old 84V Monster up a slight hill. If the MOSFET design is a problem, it will become obvious. Our sport relies on people riding and reporting their experiences. This is where ideas and theories are not as important as real-life experience and past performance.

LONG LIVE THE MSX...THE TRUE PERFORMANCE KING!

Unfortunately this is an impossibility. Only a destructive inspection is possible based on the control boars assembly and how the MOSFETs are secured to the heatsink. Therefore I will not be inspecting my replacement control board.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Marty Backe said:

Unfortunately this is an impossibility. Only a destructive inspection is possible based on the control boars assembly and how the MOSFETs are secured to the heatsink. Therefore I will not be inspecting my replacement control board.

I see. There is a quality or design problem suspected and no way to visually verify correctness. I ride fast in the hills every night and initially I was quit enthused by your reports on the Nicola, of course now this issue is a serious problem for me. I don't think I could trust the Nicola in a high performance setting.

Thank you so much Marty for doing these tests and posting your findings.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Michael Tucker said:

I see. There is a quality or design problem suspected and no way to visually verify correctness. I ride fast in the hills every night and initially I was quit enthused by your reports on the Nicola, of course now this issue is a serious problem for me. I don't think I could trust the Nicola in a high performance setting.

Thank you so much Marty for doing these tests and posting your findings.

I don't know if you ride any Gotway wheels. But just to be clear, whomever/whatever is assembling the Nikola control boards is assembling all Gotway control boards. So I do not consider this a Nikola only issue.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

This is much more likely than not a manufacturing defect (thermal pad plastic cover not fully removed). Marty will repeat the test with the new board and I suspect (= hope) it's just going to overheat (at most) then, just like all the other wheels.

That’s if the wheel is registering the proper temps. It seemed to me and others that the wheel was registering very cool temps for the stress it was under. 

I feel pretty confident with my nikola on any normal hill in all normal parameters.. everyone got so upset about Marty’s wheel burning up    So maybe it’s not a mountaineering wheel but I will ride the hell out of it around Seattle on hills and whatnot. No problem.  It’s an amazing wheel and I love it.  Even though I had an issue with my 45 degree cutoff getting stuck.    It’s not perfect but it’s fun enough to forgive.  IMHO at least.  

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Lucas Alexander Oliver said:

I feel pretty confident with my nikola on any normal hill in all normal parameters.. everyone got so upset about Marty’s wheel burning up    So maybe it’s not a mountaineering wheel but I will ride the hell out of it around Seattle on hills and whatnot. No problem.  It’s an amazing wheel and I love it.  Even though I had an issue with my 45 degree cutoff getting stuck.    It’s not perfect but it’s fun enough to forgive.  IMHO at least.  

If there's a MOSFET cooling issue, their lifetime could be badly impacted. If Marty hadn't ridden overheat hill, they might have failed on shallower inclines after weeks or months of normal riding.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, Jon Stern said:

If there's a MOSFET cooling issue, their lifetime could be badly impacted. If Marty hadn't ridden overheat hill, they might have failed on shallower inclines after weeks or months of normal riding.

That’s true with everything.   They are all going to fail eventually.  Just be as safe as you can at all times and enjoy yourself.   That’s how I have to look at it.   I love to wheel.  It is the best feeling I’ve found in a sport like hobby.  And I know it’s dangerous and expensive.  But the reward is way more than worth the risk.   So keep on rolling people :) 👍👍👍✌️🤘🏻😉🤩😍😍

• Like 1