THE VIDEO THREAD!

dpong

9 hours ago, n2eus said:

Seven riders at Salt Creek, to the Pacific Ocean, and a ridge run. @Marty Backe, @YoshiSkySun, @Jrkline "Wheel Whisperer", @Sketch.  Maybe someone knows how to notify Will and Sean?

what happened at 3:30? was that hill to steep? or you guys just changing direction? nice video, btw - wish i was in that weather right about now!

Edited by kour
more info
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Jrkline "Wheel Whisperer" said:

Yes! It started life has one of the original batch of 18A's, # 14 I believe.Hadn't ridden it much in the last year.Then recently @Jason McNeil hooked me up with the18S board and motor and it is now a new machine! What a difference.One of my favorite wheels now! 

18 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

That's great!!! Thats really a different machine then ....as i also had an 18A i know what that means :-)

Unfortunately the upgrades didn't deal with heat. Whereas his overheated on one hill I was able to continue with a 'cool' wheel. Fortunately @Jrkline "Wheel Whisperer" will be able to add more ventilation to help cool it more.

Just now, Marty Backe said:

Unfortunately the upgrades didn't deal with heat. Whereas his overheated on one hill I was able to continue with a 'cool' wheel. Fortunately @Jrkline "Wheel Whisperer" will be able to add more ventilation to help cool it more.

uups?! Whats missing? The 18S board normally sits on a gigantic "ripped" heatsink and provides a electric cable to the vented "flap" on the top, where a fan is sitting and controlled by the board...

Heatsink, fan or both?

1 minute ago, KingSong69 said:

uups?! Whats missing? The 18S board normally sits on a gigantic "ripped" heatsink and provides a electric cable to the vented "flap" on the top, where a fan is sitting and controlled by the board...

Heatsink, fan or both?

I was under the impression that his upgrade did not include fans and that the ventilation (lack thereof) is different. But I don't know the specifics other than it still overheats like all KingSong's of yesteryear :)

15 minutes ago, kour said:

what happened at 3:30? was that hill to steep? or you guys just changing direction? nice video, btw - wish i was in that weather right about now!

I was in the lead at that point and had taken the right towards the beach, but it dead-ended. So they were stopping while I was turning around to come back to join them. Hill wasn't too steep.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I was under the impression that his upgrade did not include fans and that the ventilation (lack thereof) is different. But I don't know the specifics other than it still overheats like all KingSong's of yesteryear :)

To Counter that:

At least it doesn't melt the cable or pop the mosfet's like all Gotways of ALLYear ;-) It just warned him of to high temperature...

Ok, when the Slots on top are missing and also the fan that automatic jumps in on 50degree Celsius it's understandable that it has gone to hot. Easy fix, i dont understand why this part was not done on the upgrade.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Ombre said:

Great job on the video!  Looks like a super ride, too.  Do you mind if I include it in our video loop at the eWheels pop-up store this month?

IMG_8162.JPG

It's on YouTube. I don't think you need permission, but I'm sure @n2eus won't mind in any case.

2 hours ago, Jrkline "Wheel Whisperer" said:

Yes! It started life has one of the original batch of 18A's, # 14 I believe.Hadn't ridden it much in the last year.Then recently @Jason McNeil hooked me up with the18S board and motor and it is now a new machine! What a difference.One of my favorite wheels now! 

Self upgrade! That's really cool.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kour said:

right on! yeah, both of the color schemes and designs look sweet - i had a hard time deciding, myself! keep me posted on how headphones/earbuds work out

Yeah in the end i went with the cheapest of the two because it was quite a substantial saving, about 80 euros if i remember correctly, will update when its delivered tomorrow :)

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Noticed you got the wobbles a couple of times...  You are still getting used to the wheel?  Are you using the Sony X3000 on a stick?  The stabilization is pretty good without a gimbal.

Edited by eddiemoy
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, eddiemoy said:

Noticed you got the wobbles a couple of times...  You are still getting used to the wheel?  Are you using the Sony X3000 on a stick?  The stabilization is pretty good without a gimbal.

u know, in every other tire application, running too low of a pressure or running overloaded tires, causes wobbles, idk why euc’s would be immune. that’s why all new 4 wheeled vehicles except big trucks like mine, come with tire pressure monitors ala suv’s especially ford explorers, remember, flipping over. running low tire pressure for comfort. my trailer tires, like all trailer tires, max pressure on the sidewalls. u ride on the air pressure, the rubber just contains it. we could probably ride eucs at higher pressure than the sidewall says and the tires would wear better esp for 200 pounders like me but rideability is gonna suffer a bit. and more difficult to ride. and less traction. 

but i’d bet if marty increased the tire pressure, as skilled a rider he is, those wobbles would go away, i see exactly what ur talking about and i see the sidewalls flexing excessively too.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, novazeus said:

u know, in every other tire application, running too low of a pressure or running overloaded tires, causes wobbles, idk why euc’s would be immune. that’s why all new 4 wheeled vehicles except big trucks like mine, come with tire pressure monitors ala suv’s especially ford explorers, remember, flipping over. running low tire pressure for comfort. my trailer tires, like all trailer tires, max pressure on the sidewalls. u ride on the air pressure, the rubber just contains it. we could probably ride eucs at higher pressure than the sidewall says and the tires would wear better esp for 200 pounders like me but rideability is gonna suffer a bit. and more difficult to ride. and less traction. 

but i’d bet if marty increased the tire pressure, as skilled a rider he is, those wobbles would go away, i see exactly what ur talking about and i see the sidewalls flexing excessively too.

I actually have the opposite problem.  When my wheel is over inflated, I get the wobbles.  If I under inflate them a little, the wobbles go away.  But then again, that is only one cause of the wobbles.  I've had them when I'm tired.

Also I've never heard of wheels on a car wobbling.  You must not have had them balanced correctly?

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, eddiemoy said:

I actually have the opposite problem.  When my wheel is over inflated, I get the wobbles.  If I under inflate them a little, the wobbles go away.  But then again, that is only one cause of the wobbles.  I've had them when I'm tired.

Also I've never heard of wheels on a car wobbling.  You must not have had them balanced correctly?

yup, the reason for tire pressure monitors on cars and light trucks. ford explorers were flipping over, ford got sued, the car manufacturers put tire pressure recommendations on the door which is a trade off between rideability and reliability. for me, i know for a fact overloaded and underinflated tires causes wobbles. from 1973 to 1978 i put in vault doors, atm’s, safes, bullet proof windows, drive up windows, pneumatic tube systems, safety deposit boxes etc etc, if it was heavy, i did it, for diebold, inc. i always ran overloaded. i always avoided weigh stations. it was my gig. diebold flew under the radar. scariest part of my job was getting the equipment to the job on the highways. vault doors were routinely 7 tons back then.

my guess would be letting out air pressure and the wobbles going away would be the wobbles relating to ur riding style or tiredness. taking away sidewall flex by increasing air pressure will not cause wobbles, can cause bad traction tho, that’s why i like running my jeep tires a little lower for getting around the ranch. tire failure is a consequent of heat build up. overloaded/low tire pressure+speed=heat. we don’t have to worry about speed so much.

oh btw i used uhaul 6x12 trailers a bunch back then for safes and safety deposit boxes. i’d turn them back into uhaul and they’d be bent like a “u” after me using them. gotta say uhaul built a good tough trailer back then.my loads didn’t look heavy but they were. i remember i had a one ton dooley 390 cu inch for awhile back then, and sometimes i could be in gear accelerator to the floor and not be moving. i use to worry i wouldn’t make the apex of the old sunshine skyway bridge because it was really steep. i routinely severely overloaded tires. i know wobbles.

Edited by novazeus
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, eddiemoy said:

I'm certainly still adjusting to the wheel. But that being said, when I ride fast on any given day with any wheel, I'll get some slight wobbles sometimes when I hit some odd pavement. You never get wobbles now?

How did you know that I was using the X3000? Yeah, the optical image stabilization is fantastic on this camera. I love not having to deal with a gimbal.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, novazeus said:

The tire is ~45-psi which is high for this tire. Maybe I'm not a talented high-speed rider, but when riding fast on any given day, I'll get a few wobbles here and there as I hit uneven pavement, etc. I assume everyone encounters small wobbles now and then.

That plus the fact that this is a new wheel for me, and a somewhat unusual (tall) wheel at that.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

The tire is ~45-psi which is high for this tire. Maybe I'm not a talented high-speed rider, but when riding fast on any given day, I'll get a few wobbles here and there as I hit uneven pavement, etc. I assume everyone encounters small wobbles now and then.

That plus the fact that this is a new wheel for me, and a somewhat unusual (tall) wheel at that.

no, i stand corrected. at 45 psi for that tire at ur weight u are 5 over the tires rating. the sidewalls sb very rigid at ur weight.

IMG_4849.PNG.0eae68af7592356cdcc09ecea7d

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, novazeus said:

no, i stand corrected. at 45 psi for that tire at ur weight u are 5 over the tires rating. the sidewalls sb very rigid at ur weight.

IMG_4849.PNG.0eae68af7592356cdcc09ecea7d

The tire does indeed feel very firm, which is how I like my tires. Stay away from this thread @Hunka Hunka Burning Love

• Like 1