THE VIDEO THREAD!

dpong

8 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

...as if there really was a "backwards" on most wheels!  The King Songs have headlights and brakelights on both sides I think so whether the power button and charge port are in the front or back while riding likely isn't very important.  Maybe it's just more convenient to turn off if the button is in the "front."

Actually I've never heard of the Red Elvises.  Was just reacting to the name!  ;)  Catchy tune though!

Hunka doesn't know all things Elvis :confused1: I'm slightly disappointed ;) and confused :blink1:

• Like 1

10 hours ago, kour said:

@litewave thanks man... I know the quality's kinda crappy. yeah, it's a carbon pass pro helmet.. a bit pricey, but actually that one I'm wearing is on sale right now on tsg's website, which is where I ended up buying it from awhile ago. I had a shoei motorcycle helmet before that but it just felt so heavy - either a downhill skater or bmx helmet is the way to go imo. also, I was running on about 40% and only disabled first alarm - otherwise I woulda been flying without any beeps!

Thats a sweet helmet, definitely on my wish list as not sure I can justify the £300 just to replace the one i use

6 hours ago, Clovis said:

Marty I own a KS18 and I ride it the same way you do.  I ride it based on the arrow on the tire which indicates how the tire should rotate when going forward.  For my EUC, it's with the power button and charge port in the back, the same way you are riding it.  If someone were to tell me I was riding my EUC backwards, I would refer them to the arrow on my tire and tell them they are wrong..

Actually, going by the pattern in the tyre, he IS riding backwards. The groove should hit the ground center first, then the sides. It doesn't matter much on a dry surface, but it matters a lot in the wet. The groove should "push" the water outwards from the center line, not the other way around. Basically the "arrow" should point the way the wheel spins.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

The center of a circle is still spelled center

I swore this is true in the non-US, English speaking world too.  The sign in the driver's cab of a London bus says something about the make sure "centre" door is closed, blah blah blah.  Used to bug me no end, as I "knew" something in the middle of something is spelled "center".  So I looked it up, and Sho' nuff, it's ALWAYS spelled "centre".  Apparently, its a commonly held, but incorrect, belief.  I think the weird spelling is something to do with getting the word from the French.

However, at least one site agrees with you/us (Centre is conceptual like Doctors centre, while center is physically centered, like center of the earth.)

but another site said this:

The words are identical in meaning, but "center" is an American spelling. I believe it's a result of Noah Webster's efforts to rationalize American English spelling in the early 19th century: he also dropped the "u" in "harbour" and "colour" and tried to establish "thru" for "through," and "nite" for "night."

So, its another one of those true/not true statements, depending on who one quotes.

Edited by Smoother
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Cannings said:

Yep then you start coding and everything is center, making life tough as an englishman, this also true for coding in colors into everything and having to delete your "U" every time

I actually think the American way makes sense mostly.  Color doesn't need a "u", etc.  But "Thru" and "nite" have never sat well with me even though (tho?) they are more logical than "through" and "Night".  Sometimes, something just doesn't look right. But maybe that's just a historical preference, and not "looks" at all.  I guess its part of why English is supposed to be so hard to learn; so many exceptions and irregularities. I also find myself typing "sidewalk" rather than the British "pavement" as I know in the US, pavement is the road and not the sidewalk.

• Like 2

Just now, Smoother said:

I actually think the American way makes sense mostly.  Color doesn't need a "u", etc.  But "Thru" and "nite" have never sat well with me even though (tho?) they are more logical than "through" and "Night".  Sometimes, something just doesn't look right. But maybe that's just a historical preference, and not "looks" at all.  I guess its part of why English is supposed to be so hard to learn; so many exceptions and irregularities. I also find myself typing "sidewalk" rather than the British "pavement" as I know in the US, pavement is the road and not the sidewalk.

Thats always path! for me and my brother our parents always referred to roundabouts in the road as islands, "go round the island", "3rd exit on the island" and now we never hear the end of it if we're giving directions to friends

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Scatcat said:

Actually, going by the pattern in the tyre, he IS riding backwards. The groove should hit the ground center first, then the sides. It doesn't matter much on a dry surface, but it matters a lot in the wet. The groove should "push" the water outwards from the center line, not the other way around. Basically the "arrow" should point the way the wheel spins.

Yeah I noticed that too, but at an all up weight of about 220lbs on a 3"sq patch of tire/tyre, Marty would have to be going more than 70mph (estimate) through/thru deep water for there to be any risk of hydroplaning, which is the only real "claimed" benefit of directional tires/tyres. :D.  And before you ask, my tire/tyre experience is a year in management (and the shop) at America's largest independent tire/tyre retailer. Can I stop spelling things for international audiences now?:(

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Clovis said:

Marty I own a KS18 and I ride it the same way you do.  I ride it based on the arrow on the tire which indicates how the tire should rotate when going forward.  For my EUC, it's with the power button and charge port in the back, the same way you are riding it.  If someone were to tell me I was riding my EUC backwards, I would refer them to the arrow on my tire and tell them they are wrong..

Well, That depends on where you see the arrow, and how you interpret it.  If your tire is attached to your wheel (presumed location) you can only see the arrow when it is at the bottom.  If this arrow was pointing backwards, one might conclude that the tire was facing the wrong way, because the arrow is pointing backwards.  But, if you think about that arrow, it is referring to the direction of rotation, not the direction of travel.  With the arrow pointing backwards at ground level, when the EUC is rolled forwards, the arrow rotates backwards (following its own instructions).  So, when the arrow faces backwards at ground level, the tire is rotating the correct way.  @Scatcat s observation is correct, based on the observed directional tread pattern agreeing with the unobserved "direction" printing on the tire.

As for all KingSongs not having a front and rear.  Not so.  The KS14c has distinct front and rear lights.  And, when I accidentally rode it backwards (while facing forwards), one day, its behavior was weird.  Once I figured out what was going on, I turned it around and normal service was resumed.

@Marty Backe turn that wheel around just to be sure you are testing the right experience.:)

Edited by Smoother
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Smoother said:

The words are identical in meaning, but "center" is an American spelling. I believe it's a result of Noah Webster's efforts to rationalize American English spelling in the early 19th century: he also dropped the "u" in "harbour" and "colour" and tried to establish "thru" for "through," and "nite" for "night."

Absolutely, it was a deliberate move with Webster’s dictionary to make “American” its own language. It often surprises me that many other countries that make use of English do tend to follow British English, for example the daily paper The Times of Malta tends to have a better standard of English, and quality of reporting, than any of the UK newspapers.

The one phrase that is rapidly creeping its way into UK English and really winds me up though is “can not” instead of “cannot”. To me the meaning is very different: I.e. the phrase “you can not enter this room” can easily be read as: you can choose not to enter the room. Whereas “you cannot enter this room” means, quite clearly, that entry to this room is forbidden. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Cannings said:

Actually I take that back, won a lovely bet on the horses over the weekend and that'll buy me one of these, how much space under the ears is there for headphones?

nice! well, it's pretty snug, and i haven't used earbuds while wearing it, and i actually don't own any earbuds; i couldn't tell you for sure - sorry! i'd imagine there's enough space - my ears aren't mashed in by the helmet

2 hours ago, Smoother said:

Well, That depends on where you see the arrow, and how you interpret it.  If your tire is attached to your wheel (presumed location) you can only see the arrow when it is at the bottom.  If this arrow was pointing backwards, one might conclude that the tire was facing the wrong way, because the arrow is pointing backwards.  But, if you think about that arrow, it is referring to the direction of rotation, not the direction of travel.  With the arrow pointing backwards at ground level, when the EUC is rolled forwards, the arrow rotates backwards (following its own instructions).  So, when the arrow faces backwards at ground level, the tire is rotating the correct way.  @Scatcat s observation is correct, based on the observed directional tread pattern agreeing with the unobserved "direction" printing on the tire.

As for all KingSongs not having a front and rear.  Not so.  The KS14c has distinct front and rear lights.  And, when I accidentally rode it backwards (while facing forwards), one day, its behavior was weird.  Once I figured out what was going on, I turned it around and normal service was resumed.

@Marty Backe turn that wheel around just to be sure you are testing the right experience.:)

Did you not read what I wrote?  I said the arrow points to the direction of rotation going forward.  I did not say look at the arrow when it is at the top of the wheel or look at it when it's at the bottom.  That would be dumb since it points to an infinite number of directions depending on where it is looked at.  The arrow is there to show forward rotation based on the tread of the tire.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ombre said:

We've been running a little experiment in Tucson, Arizona, USA!

@Jason McNeil @Playarider@dbfrese

3:06 "This is the best job ever!"

Hey that's a great idea!  How are sales going so far?  You always see those pop-up shops for Youtuber merch, but they tend to only run for one day.  I didn't think a large mall would agree to a one month lease, but if they have empty space, why not hey?  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Love the Elvises - figures that you would know of them. Wonder why :confused1:

No matter how I ride this wheel people have told me I'm riding it backwards, so I give up :blink:

in your video you are riding it perfectly forward!!!

There is a arrow with the words "tire direction" printed on the tire,( that can not be misinterpreted btw, no matter if the arrow is up or down),  and i also can see from the profil that this is the right direction, which should provide the best grip on the tire. Also on the 18S it is correct that the LED is in front and the power button on the back! So keep on going ;-)

Edited by KingSong69
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

in your video you are riding it perfectly forward!!!

There is a arrow with the words "tire direction" printed on the tire,( that can not be misinterpreted btw, no matter if the arrow is up or down),  and i also can see from the profil that this is the right direction, which should provide the best grip on the tire. Also on the 18S it is correct that the LED is in front and the power button on the back! So keep on going ;-)

See, even in this Forum people are telling me with great authority completely different advice.

I honestly don't think it matters for the kind of riding that I do, what direction the tire is rotating.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ombre said:

This is so cool. I hope you guys sell a lot. Depending on the interest I can imagine maintaining stock to be very difficult - people want instant gratification and I suspect people would be cautious of spending the money and having to wait 1 to 2 months for delivery.

But the exposure that you're going to have here is amazing.

:cheers:

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

See, even in this Forum people are telling me with great authority completely different advice.

I honestly don't think it matters for the kind of riding that I do, what direction the tire is rotating.

Sure, it doesnt matter that much ...

But for the 18S ...i would say, i am the expert here ;-) In the end its very easy...just look at the tire :-)

Most important is: Have fun!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ombre said:

Great idea, looks like you had a lot of people coming in to check it out.  Did anyone ride through the mall, or stop at the other end of the mall and do circles for awhile?  Maybe leave some business cards at all the seating areas in the mall.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

You could make the next video riding the other direction.:laughbounce2:

• Like 1