THE VIDEO THREAD!

dpong

5 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I'm certainly still adjusting to the wheel. But that being said, when I ride fast on any given day with any wheel, I'll get some slight wobbles sometimes when I hit some odd pavement. You never get wobbles now?

How did you know that I was using the X3000? Yeah, the optical image stabilization is fantastic on this camera. I love not having to deal with a gimbal.

I still get the wobbles when I’m tired.  Legs shaky.  I saw it on the group ride video, that you are holding a white actioncam with the Square lenses good.  The only one is the X3000.  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I assume everyone encounters small wobbles now and then.

I do.  In fact, wobbles "is" the main reason I don't spend much time at high speed (over 30kmh) a wobble at high speed is scary, and can lead to a Superman moment (human flight)

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Smoother said:

I do.  In fact, wobbles "is" the main reason I don't spend much time at high speed (over 30kmh) a wobble at high speed is scary, and can lead to a Superman moment (human flight)

I find that if you get a wobble at high speed, it is usually enough to just squeeze your knees together. I think it depends quite a lot on how far forward on the pedals you stand. To far forward, and you may well have your "superman moment", too far back and the wobble is hard to surpress.

I try to stand in a position where an imaginary lengthening of the shaft would pass just in front of the pivot point of my ankles. The idea being that at least as much of the EUC-weight should be behind me as in front of me.

If you look at an airfoil as a comparison, placing the wing spars in a position where more weight is in front of them than behind them will lead to self-amplifying wobbles that may break off the wing. There are a few examples of such things happening in the early days of flight, and usually the designers tried to overcome the problem by strengthening the front of the wing, placing even more weight in front of the spar, which actually aggravated the problem.

Standing too far forward has its own problems like poor braking stability and longer braking latency. It is also pretty damn scary going over a pot-hole, when you have a snag and your feet move forward another half an inch. Suddenly you're almost off the pedals, and that is not good for the blood pressure :D 

Hope I'm not creating a "duh" moment, explaining what is self-explanatory. I think I'll check out from the teachers lounge now ;) 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Scatcat said:

I find that if you get a wobble at high speed, it is usually enough to just squeeze your knees together. I think it depends quite a lot on how far forward on the pedals you stand. To far forward, and you may well have your "superman moment", too far back and the wobble is hard to surpress.

I try to stand in a position where an imaginary lengthening of the shaft would pass just in front of the pivot point of my ankles. The idea being that at least as much of the EUC-weight should be behind me as in front of me.

If you look at an airfoil as a comparison, placing the wing spars in a position where more weight is in front of them than behind them will lead to self-amplifying wobbles that may break off the wing. There are a few examples of such things happening in the early days of flight, and usually the designers tried to overcome the problem by strengthening the front of the wing, placing even more weight in front of the spar, which actually aggravated the problem.

Standing too far forward has its own problems like poor braking stability and longer braking latency. It is also pretty damn scary going over a pot-hole, when you have a snag and your feet move forward another half an inch. Suddenly you're almost off the pedals, and that is not good for the blood pressure :D 

Hope I'm not creating a "duh" moment, explaining what is self-explanatory. I think I'll check out from the teachers lounge now ;) 

All, good.  I experiment with foot placement.  It always seems that the balls of my feet are right on the front edge of the pedal, especially on the KS14.  Any further back and handling becomes quite squirrelly.  I do make sure my feet are as far forward as necessary, and even with each other.  I find that the more rearward the centre of effort, (feet) the more likely the centre of resistance (tire contact patch) wants to dart left or right when encountering any disturbance.  And yes, I've had my feet shifted by a bump, almost off the front.  It isn't pleasant.

In fact, I just had two major "oh Ship" moments going up main street to see about my internet issue.  On the way up I suddenly got into a big wobble, in front of dozens of people at a bus stop.   I slowed quickly and killed the wobble.  Then when coming home I ran into tilt back, unexpectedly.  Battery over 90% so I must have been going at max 34kph tilt speed.(ks16s) should have got a Tesla :lol:

It wasn't violent tilt back, but it wasn't mild either.  Definitely made my heart skip a beat.  Lots of onlookers there too.  Whats worse, the pain or the embarrassment?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Smoother said:

All, good.  I experiment with foot placement.  It always seems that the balls of my feet are right on the front edge of the pedal, especially on the KS14.  Any further back and handling becomes quite squirrelly.  I do make sure my feet are as far forward as necessary, and even with each other.  I find that the more rearward the centre of effort, (feet) the more likely the centre of resistance (tire contact patch) wants to dart left or right when encountering any disturbance.  And yes, I've had my feet shifted by a bump, almost off the front.  It isn't pleasant.

In fact, I just had two major "oh Ship" moments going up main street to see about my internet issue.  On the way up I suddenly got into a big wobble, in front of dozens of people at a bus stop.   I slowed quickly and killed the wobble.  Then when coming home I ran into tilt back, unexpectedly.  Battery over 90% so I must have been going at max 34kph tilt speed.(ks16s) should have got a Tesla :lol:

It wasn't violent tilt back, but it wasn't mild either.  Definitely made my heart skip a beat.  Lots of onlookers there too.  Whats worse, the pain or the embarrassment?

I've heard the KS16 is a bit more squirrelly than my own GT16. Haven't compared myself, so I'm not sure. I've hit tilt-back myself a couple of times, but mine is set at 43 kph... :D 

4 hours ago, Smoother said:

Wobbles indeed are very unnerving. I just slow down momentarily to make them go away. And again, they only occur when I hit some change in the pavement that I'm riding on, sometimes.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Wobbles indeed are very unnerving. I just slow down momentarily to make them go away. And again, they only occur when I hit some change in the pavement that I'm riding on, sometimes.

English streets and sidewalks are pretty rough, every man and his dog has dug them up at one time or other to fix, replace, or install some service or other.  And when they put them back down again, there's always a lip, dip, bump,  hollow, etc.  Our streets are like your mountain trails in terms of smoothness. Most sidewalks are paved with 16" by 30" approx slabs.  Over time, and add tree roots, etc, they fit together like Austin Powers' teeth.

teeth-austin-powers.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Smoother said:

English streets and sidewalks are pretty rough, every man and his dog has dug them up at one time or other to fix, replace, or install some service or other.  And when they put them back down again, there's always a lip, dip, bump,  hollow, etc.  Our streets are like your mountain trails in terms of smoothness. Most sidewalks are paved with 16" by 30" approx slabs.  Over time, and add tree roots, etc, they fit together like Austin Powers' teeth.

teeth-austin-powers.jpg

:roflmao:

That's one disadvantage to living where there is so much history. Everything here is so new.

3 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Everything here is so new.

including the next earthquake. :P We.ve all got local issues to deal with.  But its still fun (not the face plants)

Speaking of face plants, my new helmet arrives any moment, and @Marty Backe mirror.  Better wrist guards coming Monday.  I'm getting there.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Smoother said:

including the next earthquake. :P We.ve all got local issues to deal with.  But its still fun (not the face plants)

Speaking of face plants, my new helmet arrives any moment, and @Marty Backe mirror.  Better wrist guards coming Monday.  I'm getting there.

That would be a cool experience - riding the wheel when an earthquake hits. Unfortunately I'll probably never be so lucky since we haven't had a substantial earthquake in Southern California in over 20-years. They are actually rare (lately anyway).

Still working my way towards pulling the trigger on a new helmet. I love my mirror. Really feels indispensable when I'm out riding.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Smoother said:

teeth-austin-powers.jpg

It's exactly the same here, and more often than not the "mending" done makes it even worse. There have been times when I wonder if I'm on a paved road or in the black moguls... Then there are the real favourites. Like the road I ride to work right now: a bicycle lane in the middle of an avenue. At approximately every 100 meters there comes two three-meter strips of cobblestones that are fit like the teeth you referred to, then a road-intersection where you go over the tram tracks which feels a bit like going over the pot holes from hell, then another two strips of cobblestones before you have another smooth 100 meters...

tracks.jpg.320ffb0a7dbde31fae3ab0e7ce087c24.jpg

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

That would be a cool experience - riding the wheel when an earthquake hits. Unfortunately I'll probably never be so lucky since we haven't had a substantial earthquake in Southern California in over 20-years. They are actually rare (lately anyway).

Still working my way towards pulling the trigger on a new helmet. I love my mirror. Really feels indispensable when I'm out riding.

I have a mirror on my Switchblade. The kind you can bend however you like. Works like a charm.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Moltimondi said:

Changing Msuper V3+ main board à la Clockwork Orange. Music: William Tell Overture: Abridged - (Rossini)

But you didn't show putting the new heat-shrink tubing on the motor connectors ;)

You can come over and do mine next time :D

What did I just say - there will be no next time :facepalm:

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

But you didn't show putting the new heat-shrink tubing on the motor connectors ;)

You can come over and do mine next time :D

What did I just say - there will be no next time :facepalm:

Yep, I did not record that part. I do not have a heat gun so I stopped recording and borrowed the wife's hairdryer. It did the job very well and brought back the memories of when I actually needed one for its proper use which must have been sometimes in the early 90's  :D

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

How did I not realise this. Although you for sure want to be bending those knees when picking up the Monster!

I’m lucky in that my V8 will fit in the footwell of the seat behind the driver of my car, even with the seat almost all the way back. It’s a 3-door, so the seat slides forward and gives fairly easy access. But if I bought a bigger wheel I’d probably have to buy a rubberised boot liner to stop it sliding around in there.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Kael said:

How did I not realise this. Although you for sure want to be bending those knees when picking up the Monster!

I’m lucky in that my V8 will fit in the footwell of the seat behind the driver of my car, even with the seat almost all the way back. It’s a 3-door, so the seat slides forward and gives fairly easy access. But if I bought a bigger wheel I’d probably have to buy a rubberised boot liner to stop it sliding around in there.

That's where I put my wheel, also.  A cheap moving blanket does the job, and also covers the wheel so no one can see it.

Image result for moving blankets harbor freight

• Like 2

1 minute ago, steve454 said:

That's where I put my wheel, also.  A cheap moving blanket does the job, and also covers the wheel so no one can see it.

Image result for moving blankets harbor freight

If it’s in the footwell I actually keep one of those large shopping/grocery bags and put it in that. The wheel is wedged securely between the rear and driver seats and the bag stops the carpet from getting muddy.