THE VIDEO THREAD!

dpong

18 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I think most people need to get injured first before they realize the importance of safety gear.

I didn't. After a lot of fallings in EUC and other vehicles I realized the security gear what I need for ride my 25 km/h limited EUC is gloves, long sleeve shirt and pants. But what is good for somebody isn't necessary good for everybody ;)

• Like 1

On 11/23/2017 at 2:19 PM, Slaughthammer said:

Uhhmmmm....

Actually rode like this for about a kilometer to the garden waste disposal site. When you go above 20 kph with an empty wheelbarrow, it becomes quite bouncy.

We must have the same neighbor.  Every time I shoot video outside, he has to start his stupid mower. ?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I think most people need to get injured first before they realize the importance of safety gear.

Not me either.  I got kitted out ATGAT style before I started practicing.  Made a special trip to the sporting goods store for it.  I knew there was going to be some Keystone Cops-style falls in my immediate future.  I still use the same set (wrist guards need washing now and then, Phew!)

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Smoother said:

Not me either.  I got kitted out ATGAT style before I started practicing.  Made a special trip to the sporting goods store for it.  I knew there was going to be some Keystone Cops-style falls in my immediate future.  I still use the same set (wrist guards need washing now and then, Phew!)

You have more wisdom than me :mellow:

Edited by Marty Backe
  • Like 1

Wow, this was published in 2014!  No mention at all of unicycles, only Segway type 2 wheelers.  Reminds me of the very well made Kingsong factory video.  Impressive headquarters building.  The windrunner looks like a Segway, and this was before the merger.  Looks like Ninebot is almost out of the one wheel market, even back then.:(

It looks like they were making something that looked so much like a Segway that lawsuits were started and they ended up having to buy the Segway company.  Still, the large tire design looks pretty good.  @jojo33 have you seen the Windrunner for sale?

Edited by steve454

9 hours ago, steve454 said:

It looks like they were making something that looked so much like a Segway that lawsuits were started and they ended up having to buy the Segway company.  Still, the large tire design looks pretty good.  @jojo33 have you seen the Windrunner for sale?

Hello

These Windrunner model are always selling in China

i found them, i convert price in $ (on picture)

se.PNG.29ceb5f069b0cc48a30317574701c1aa.PNG

official links with specsheets

http://shop.ninebot.cn/index.php/Home/Detail/index.html?gid=40

http://shop.ninebot.cn/index.php/Home/Detail/index.html?gid=63

http://shop.ninebot.cn/index.php/Home/Detail/index.html?gid=41

Where to buy one ? TAO BAO yes have a lot, Aliexpress not have except a clone cheaper ($1300)

clone.thumb.PNG.e8e105ff7bb15cc528c4adad2ab9d826.PNG

SEGWAY US have on sale but it's for pro

http://www.segway.com/

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Bob Eisenman said:

Deer Island Boston has a nice bike path along the shore. I took a 15 mile ride through Winthrop to get there today on my Gotway Monster which turned 1,016 km today.

11-30-2017.

Nice camera work and editing, Bob!  What software do you use to edit?  And what was that white round thing on the pole at 1:10 on the hill to your right as you went by?  It looked like a metal sculpture or something.

16 hours ago, Bob Eisenman said:

Deer Island Boston has a nice bike path along the shore. I took a 15 mile ride through Winthrop to get there today on my Gotway Monster which turned 1,016 km today.

11-30-2017.

So...I recorded my heart rate along the route back to where I live, stopping twice for snacks. The total calories for the ride back was 749 ( for 16.4 miles of riding). 

Since heart rate corresponds to the bodies need for oxygen delivery (and metabolic derived carbon dioxide return to the lungs for exhalation)  to the tissues, the bulk of any heart rate above resting (60's for me) is due to muscle exertion. It takes ATP to make muscles contract. Whether ATP is produced by glycolysis or fat burn in the mitochondria is an exercise physiologists lecture material. Long distance running correlates with fat burn via mitochondrial ATP production 'pathways' where oxygen is used.

On the EUC the ATP use in contraction of leg muscles and to a lesser degree the muscles of the upper body causes the increased heart rate over the long run. I've noticed that my Fitbit registers a higher number of calories burned per unit time on irregular surface paths like rail trails with bumps and dips where my legs work harder to absorb the bumps and maintain balance by quick leg-muscle contraction adjustments and upper body movements.

In any case these are my Fitbit charts for my ride back from the area on Deer Island where I shot the video. The ride was along mostly level sidewalk.

61538.jpg

61539.jpg

61541.jpg

Edited by Bob Eisenman
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, steve454 said:

What software do you use to edit?  And what was that white round thing on the pole at 1:10 on the hill to your right as you went by?  It looked like a metal sculpture or something.

I used a free software called ffmpeg to trim, reassemble segments and merge in the audio.

The 1:10 object looked like a circular windmill design that wasn't spinning at the time. Deer Island is where Boston pumps it's waste water for treatment before piping it through an 8 mile submerged pipe to a 'diffuser' array out in the shallow harbor water.

61546.jpg

Edited by Bob Eisenman
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Bob Eisenman said:

11-30-2017.

Nice video Bob. You're upping your video game with this one. That music was strangely addicting ;)

2 hours ago, Tilmann said:

Involuntary Monster Snow Test

Combine an important meeting in the office with a flat tire surprise on the car in the morning. Add a good portion of snow and ice plus a GotWay Monster electric unicycle as backup commuting device and here'ya go: testing the Monster in conditions, I've never tried with it before. Result: I got there in time and the Monster behaves pretty well in such weather. There's just no recipe against deep potholes filled with soft snow.
Apologies for the shaky camera handling - zero degrees centigrade and the phone insists for me to take the gloves off...

Cool video. I love to see my fellow riders in videos vs the static profile pictures. Flat car tires are so unusual now, that must have been a surprise.

Man, I feel for you guys having to deal with not only cold, but snow :cry2:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 11/28/2017 at 6:37 PM, The Fat Unicyclist said:

l have a question... If you load ~260lb on that sucker, how well does it manage curb transitions? 

It goes through the curb :D

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Bob Eisenman said:

So...I recorded my heart rate along the route back to where I live, stopping twice for snacks. The total calories for the ride back was 749 ( for 16.4 miles of riding). 

Since heart rate corresponds to the bodies need for oxygen delivery (and metabolic derived carbon dioxide return to the lungs for exhalation)  to the tissues, the bulk of any heart rate above resting (60's for me) is due to muscle exertion. It takes ATP to make muscles contract. Whether ATP is produced by glycolysis or fat burn in the mitochondria is an exercise physiologists lecture material. Long distance running correlates with fat burn via mitochondrial ATP production 'pathways' where oxygen is used.

On the EUC the ATP use in contraction of leg muscles and to a lesser degree the muscles of the upper body causes the increased heart rate over the long run. I've noticed that my Fitbit registers a higher number of calories burned per unit time on irregular surface paths like rail trails with bumps and dips where my legs work harder to absorb the bumps and maintain balance by quick leg-muscle contraction adjustments and upper body movements.

In any case these are my Fitbit charts for my ride back from the area on Deer Island where I shot the video. The ride was along mostly level sidewalk.

61538.jpg

61539.jpg

61541.jpg

Good work, Bob :thumbup:. You managed to burn 750 calories in 3.5 hours whilst riding at an average 4.69 mph, at 214 calories per hour, or 45.59 calories per mile – and that's riding at a snail's pace on a Monster??? Obviously, snack breaks reduced the average speed, and you may have stopped at intersections, or to set up/ take down your camera, etc. Still, this is a good start, and raises all sorts of interesting questions, like what is the relationship between speed, distance and calories burned? Do we burn more energy if we ride faster? It would be very useful to plot calories, heart rate, and wheel data on the same graph. Other interesting data to plot would be speed, acceleration, slope, curvature, time of day, ambient temperature, rider's weight, etc. Nowadays we have easy access to data analysis tools that could lead to very interesting insights that could really promote EUCs.

Thinking ahead, it would be great if we, as a community, would create a repository of rider biostatistics and wheel metrics, to study the physical benefits of EUC riding. Maybe you could start the ball rolling, given your prior professional experience and dedication? 

addendum: 214 calories per hour is roughly 1.5x the rate of calories burned while standing

edits: additions/ corrections in red

Edited by litewave
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Bob Eisenman said:

I used a free software called ffmpeg to trim, reassemble segments and merge in the audio.

The 1:10 object looked like a circular windmill design that wasn't spinning at the time. Deer Island is where Boston pumps it's waste water for treatment before piping it through an 8 mile submerged pipe to a 'diffuser' array out in the shallow harbor water.

61546.jpg

Great video, I liked the music also.  What are those bulbous things to the right in your thumbnail?   They look huge compared to the building next to them.  Is that a powerplant of some kind?

How are your impressions of the Monster so far?  You have already put a lot of miles on it, you must like it a lot.  You got a good color, the wheel looks good in blue.

Deer Island looks like a great place to ride.

And also, what is the purpose of that lateral piece of sidewalk that goes a few feet, then stops?:huh:

Edited by steve454