THE VIDEO THREAD!

dpong

8 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

That was quick. It took him a 'whole' day to learn to ride. Youth!

:cheers:

A friend of mine is 33, and after 15-20 minutes of training from zero (along fence etc.) he did (not too confident) curves and free riding, and after some hours doing other stuff (aka brain keeps going), we did a nice few km ride with bike and ACM (we took turns with both, but mostly he did ride the wheel). More confident, and even free mounts on a very shitty, uneven, root-y forest path.

So it just not "Youth!". But that certainly helps:efee612b4b:

• Like 2

On 11/19/2017 at 3:45 PM, Rehab1 said:

my Soloshot 3.

Nice property, nice house, nice focus. I wonder how many professional journals you subscribe to in your career?

I took another long ride along rail trail and road (risky but manageable) from South to North ending in Newburyport, MA. 

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1eeLwl_g0y4DkAGS1lj1RuwYVrPvIaaDa&usp=sharing

I take Bare Hill Road (Boxford) toward Georgetown at one point. The properties and a trail's 'horse crossing'  sign along the street suggests it might be a neighborhood like yours.

The use of roadways rather than rail trail (unimproved) have a lot to do with impassable crossings at streams

59600.jpg

Farther north, along the last 4 miles of rail trail several hunters and Bell collared bird dogs and their owners were out hunting. Pheasant, quail and grouse are in season.

59599.jpg

The bells worn by the dog of one hunter made noise in the brush that was out of sight next to a swampy Marsh a thousand feet away.  More than once I would have felt safer wearing an orange hunters cap. 

Unlike yourself I have time to kill. The hunters area reminds me of deer hunting season in Hazleton, PA where as a kid I would read about a young hunters first deer , published by tradition in the local newspaper.

While the production of priceless disposable income from working in a lab is missed since 'leaving' Children's Boston, the 16 years of working in a 4 foot by 10 foot space in half of a lab was confining except for excursions for lunch and endless hours of commuting atop a 9 to 5 timeframe.

Trail riding on the Gotway can be fun.

Edited by Bob Eisenman
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Scatcat said:

Today I gave up, at least temporarily. Waking up and looking out, you could barely see 50m because of snow in the air.

This is when I was going to work, biting the bullet and taking the tram. It's OK, but takes twice as long.

Winter wonderland. Looks beautiful from afar. All we have is the same old Sun, Sun, and Sun. What are you complaining about? ;)

Hey, great to see an animated image of yourself :thumbup:

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

You laugh now, but when the Big One San Andreas /Pacific rim earthquake hits, and you have to wheel around between flaming gas lines and burning houses, holes in the ground and fallen trees, through a lawless apocalypse with gun fights everywhere, let's see who laughs then!:efef015fe0::efef015fe0::efef015fe0: HA! ..... Until then.... any minute now... any minute... ok, you may have a location advantage, Mr. Rub-it-in. (And a wheel advantage,too, but that's cool)

Funny thing is, the problem with the weather atm (at least here) is that it's not cold enough, colder and therefore drier (and maybe sunnier would be nice) you would have some nice, crunchy, grippy snow, or cleared bike paths, no insidiuos ice left, etc. Pre-winter instead of proper winter.

It's still cold though.

Exactly! In the bloody afternoon half of it melted away, and the other half was gooey, slippery slop with pieces of ice here and there to ambush you when you least expect it.

25 minutes ago, Smoother said:

Hey @Scatcat how about some knobbly tires, or studded tires or both.  @EUC Extreme leads the way in this regard.  If you thought EUCs freak people out, imagine their surprise when you swoosh past them in snow

I'm considering these http://www.best-grip.com/site/en/prodotti/tutti-i-prodotti/

The 1000 variant should do the trick, goes in 6mm and sticks out 2mm. The worry is how much damage they do to the tyre... It should be possible to just unscrew them and continue using the tyre, but maybe I should get an extra just because...

14 minutes ago, Scatcat said:

I'm considering these http://www.best-grip.com/site/en/prodotti/tutti-i-prodotti/

The 1000 variant should do the trick, goes in 6mm and sticks out 2mm. The worry is how much damage they do to the tyre... It should be possible to just unscrew them and continue using the tyre, but maybe I should get an extra just because...

That looks good.  where would you put them?  along the central tread, or off center by one tread?  Along the centre might be a bit bumpy, and wear out quickly when you are without snow/ice.  One tread off centre on either side, might still assist your grip without the disadvantages above.  Sounds like some experimentation is on the cards.

10 minutes ago, Smoother said:

That looks good.  where would you put them?  along the central tread, or off center by one tread?  Along the centre might be a bit bumpy, and wear out quickly when you are without snow/ice.  One tread off centre on either side, might still assist your grip without the disadvantages above.  Sounds like some experimentation is on the cards.

Not on the center thread. As long as you go straight forward there is not much use anyway, except for braking. And if you put them on the first thread to the side and they stick out 2mm, you should get enough traction even going straight, but without the whole weight on the studs.

Also lowering the pressure to ~2.7 or so should do wonders for extra grip on slippery surfaces and lessen the tendency to follow any cracks and ruts in the ice.

Fascinatingly enough the grip on ice even without studs are not really bad. I wouldn't want to do any panic braking, but it's far less precarious than I thought it would be. I actually feel less stressed on ice than I do in rain-wet loose mud - or the worst: wet moss and mud combined. Adding some moss to the mud makes sure there is no friction at all when you side-slip... :D 

I do suspect however, that the wet snow/ice goo outside today is almost as bad as moss and mud... :( 

Edited by Scatcat

1 hour ago, Scatcat said:

Not on the center thread. As long as you go straight forward there is not much use anyway, except for braking. And if you put them on the first thread to the side and they stick out 2mm, you should get enough traction even going straight, but without the whole weight on the studs.

Also lowering the pressure to ~2.7 or so should do wonders for extra grip on slippery surfaces and lessen the tendency to follow any cracks and ruts in the ice.

Fascinatingly enough the grip on ice even without studs are not really bad. I wouldn't want to do any panic braking, but it's far less precarious than I thought it would be. I actually feel less stressed on ice than I do in rain-wet loose mud - or the worst: wet moss and mud combined. Adding some moss to the mud makes sure there is no friction at all when you side-slip... :D 

I do suspect however, that the wet snow/ice goo outside today is almost as bad as moss and mud... :( 

I wonder if a dual wheel model would work better than a single wheel type in that snow?  Have you experimented with the V3C?

52 minutes ago, steve454 said:

I wonder if a dual wheel model would work better than a single wheel type in that snow?  Have you experimented with the V3C?

No, I haven't, and no, from the kind of experience I've gotten with the GT16 I don't think so. I don't think another wheel would make that much of a difference for better stability, maybe even the opposite.

The dual wheel is actually MORE twitchy on anything but a smooth flat surface. And the best meter I feel you get for what you have under your wheel on a one-wheeler is how the yaw stability is affected. If you feel the wheel would like to spin turn on you easier than normally, you can be quite sure you're on a slippery surface and adapt your behaviour to that fact.

The thing I do when I realise I'm on ice, is letting the speed fall naturally and keep the turns in an mostly upright position with only the wheel leaning and the speed low enough to avoid powerful sideways forces. If you haven't "commited" your body-weight in any direction, it is not that hard to compensate for small slippages. You have to go rather slow though ;) 

I actually find it almost easier to negotiate the ice on my wheel than on my feet. I say almost, because the center of gravity is higher, but on the other hand your balance is more focused and to some extent easier to predict. I think I would prefer my feet, but I was very surprised when I stepped off on ice the first time and almost slipped. On the wheel it hadn't really felt that bad.

Edited by Scatcat
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Slow on snow and ice is for old people. ;)  Just gun it like @EUC Extreme, and go flying over those snow banks!  :w00t2:

Damn! Those side slips are wonderful! If the weather gets just right and I can find somewhere to train, I would like to learn to handle such conditions! Looks like a ton of fun! :) :laughbounce2:

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, CaptainKBLS said:

When the leaves are brown.......they get into my wheel!!!!  But I love this song tho.

Happy Thanksgiving all!

California Dreamin'. Love that song, and I'm living the dream - had a slight case of heat stroke today when I took the Tesla for a 40-mile ride in 95-degree heat B)  I need to bring more water with me.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

California Dreamin'. Love that song, and I'm living the dream - had a slight case of heat stroke today when I took the Tesla for a 40-mile ride in 95-degree heat B)  I need to bring more water with me.

Oh Really!  95 degrees! Heat stroke you say! That's terrible!  I'm sure I can speak for all of us in the frozen and semi frozen wastelands of the world, when I say :pooping: you.   :D

Edited by Smoother
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, Smoother said:

Oh Really!  95 degrees! Heat stroke you say! That's terrible!  I'm sure I can speak for all of us in the frozen and semi frozen wastelands of the world, when I say :pooping: you.   :D

:roflmao: