THE VIDEO THREAD!

dpong

14 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Early resistance was tough, but Jason told me he would get me a replacement Mten3 control board flown in from China if I bought a Tesla. Need I say more?

Storage is becoming a problem. Yet I can't sell any of my currents wheels - they are all great :crying:

Does this mean you need to defray the cost of these wheels, along with the wife?

I ask because if I'm going to keep my Gotway (which has been completely reliable) I'd want to send it to you to resolder and tighten what needs to be resoldered and tightened. I feel I'm on a ticking time bomb.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

Does this mean you need to defray the cost of these wheels, along with the wife?

I ask because if I'm going to keep my Gotway (which has been completely reliable) I'd want to send it to you to resolder and tighten what needs to be resoldered and tightened. I feel I'm on a ticking time bomb.

:D

Send it to EWheels. He has a maintenance department now.

:blink: That Tesla faceplant is worrisome.  It didn't look like it was that much of a pothole to make the wheel go forwards 90 degrees.  In the slow-mo there was no oscillation or anything visible.  It looked like it hit the dip, and just shut off balancing.  Maybe the current demand spike was too high while at speed and the battery BMS cutout?  If the wheel is drawing a lot of current to maintain 40 kph, would a sudden spike in current demand possibly create a cut-out?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

:blink: That Tesla faceplant is worrisome.  It didn't look like it was that much of a pothole to make the wheel go forwards 90 degrees.  In the slow-mo there was no oscillation or anything visible.  It looked like it hit the dip, and just shut off balancing.  Maybe the current demand spike was too high while at speed and the battery BMS cutout?  If the wheel is drawing a lot of current to maintain 40 kph, would a sudden spike in current demand possibly create a cut-out?

Imho this was no cut off or overlean - then the rider would have „turned normally forward“ till the faceplant. In the slow mo the pedals are violently turning forward first lifting the driver up and then getting „hooked“ at his shins... so looks like quite a blocked wheel...

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

There's so much we don't know. Maybe his battery was at 25%. Who knows. I'm not worrying about it, but that's me :D

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Chriull said:

Imho this was no cut off or overlean - then the rider would have „turned normally forward“ till the faceplant. In the slow mo the pedals are violently turning forward first lifting the driver up and then getting „hooked“ at his shins... so looks like quite a blocked wheel...

What do you mean by "looks like quite a blocked wheel"? Are you interpreting this as a wheel failure or more user/environment problems?

1 hour ago, litewave said:

I really hope the rider did not sustain serious injury. Was there any comment about that?

I think the driver pops up again here (22:38):

Suggesting both the wheel and driver were fine

Edit: nevermind I think it's someone else actually

Edited by guyr

13 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

There's so much we don't know. Maybe his battery was at 25%. Who knows. I'm not worrying about it, but that's me :D

To me it looked like the classic... Doing a speed run and overestimating how fast you can go. If the batteries where at 50%-60% or so, and he still tried to push 50 kph, not much would be needed to push the wheel over the edge.

• Upvote 2

I re-watched the slow-mo in slow-mo at 0.25 speed, and it looks like the wheel goes over the crest of the slight upheaval crack.  There is a slight dip into a very shallow bowl area, and then the wheel just gives in.  I've found that accidentally going through slight, sudden depressions in the ground, there is a slight lag in the wheel while the rider moves forwards at the same speed waiting for the wheel to "catch" up.  It definitely looks like something prevented the wheel from doing so very suddenly.  It would be interested to find out the cause as the crest/slight dip didn't seem that severe.

Edited by Hunka Hunka Burning Love
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

I re-watched the slo-mo at 0.25 speed, and it looks like the wheel goes over the crest of the slight upheaval crack.  There is a slight dip into a very shallow bowl area, and then the wheel just gives in.  I've found that accidentally going through slight, sudden depressions in the ground, there is a slight lag in the wheel while the rider moves forwards at the same speed waiting for the wheel to "catch" up.  It definitely looks like something prevented the wheel from doing so very suddenly.  It would be interested to find out the cause as the crest/slight dip didn't seem that severe.

As I said above, I think he ran out of juice. He went pretty fast, and if the batteries were not full, he may well have had no torque reserve left for that bump.

• Upvote 3

20 minutes ago, Scatcat said:

As I said above, I think he ran out of juice. He went pretty fast, and if the batteries were not full, he may well have had no torque reserve left for that bump.

Then the rider would just fall forward (overlean), but in the slo mo is seen that the rider also gets pushed upwards („ejected“) by the wheel turning forward violently. This can only happen by a blocked or max braking wheel.

edit: imho it also does not look like the driver was lifted up by the bump and the wheel fell forward, but maybe this could be also a possibility not clearly to be seen?

edit 2: maybe not pushed up by the bump, but by the tyre after it „bounced“ back after beeing compressed to the ground again?

edit3 :ph34r:: watched it again - does not look really like edit or edit2..

Edited by Chriull
  • Like 1

This guy rides faster than anyone.  He is a natural with the wheel.

But at 7:07 he hits a rock and the wheel twists and he falls off and lands on his feet with no injury except to his enjoyment.

After that, he keeps looking down at his wheel like he can't trust it anymore, but it was not the wheels fault, he hit a rock.

He still rides at the same super high speed for the rest of the video.

Has some interesting camera techniques, twisting the camera pole for different angles.

At 12:02 does some impressive one legged riding.  At 17:42 got a WTF when he zoomed past a woman pushing a baby carriage, but was respectful and waved at people giving him the right of way when crossing streets.

Wish I could get in the zone like that.  But he's a foot shorter and 75 pounds lighter than me.  The MSuper probably doesn't feel stressed at all.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Jean (nhut) said:
Hello, everybody! To motivate the younger generation, I do a little review in a few parts. Waiting for new videos of our projects. I hope these will boost you ;)?

Great skills, the turning and then going backwards is new to me.  

This is a new dimension in what is possible with the wheel.:clap3:

10 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

For those of you who want to experience a little of the thrill of riding a Tesla, I give this raw footage from my first ride.

Watching that video I can't help wonder what people seeing an EUC for the first time must think when you blow by at 40-50 kph.  Can you imagine the looks?  It must be crazy to see someone riding that fast on one wheel.  I definitely think we're in the "future zone" with these higher speed wheels.  I love riding behind cyclists huffing and puffing while I cruise by standing straight up going uphill.  This Tesla looks insanely future fun fast!  :w00t2:  Ride safe and consider getting some full finger gloves.  :eff01bbbfc:  BTW the "neck cape" really flies at those speeds!  :lol:

This is a great screen capture of old school meets new technology new technology flies by old school:

340311_oldtech.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

:D

Send it to EWheels. He has a maintenance department now.

How is that going?  Is Jason selling any of the new Monster axle inserts?  Did you  get your Monster repaired?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

How is that going?  Is Jason selling any of the new Monster axle inserts?  Did you and @Sven (where is that guy?) get your Monsters repaired?

@Joey Serrin is teamed with EWheels now, and I believe he provides wheel service, but I don't know if it's restricted to EWheels customers. @Jason McNeil provided me with the kit hardware to perform my repair. I'm waiting until my axle 'play' becomes unacceptable before I break down and disassemble the Monster. Maybe the next rainy day :D

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Watching that video I can't help wonder what people seeing an EUC for the first time must think when you blow by at 40-50 kph.  Can you imagine the looks?  It must be crazy to see someone riding that fast on one wheel.  I definitely think we're in the "future zone" with these higher speed wheels.  I love riding behind cyclists huffing and puffing while I cruise by standing straight up going uphill.  This Tesla looks insanely future fun fast!  :w00t2:  Ride safe and consider getting some full finger gloves.  :eff01bbbfc:  BTW the "neck cape" really flies at those speeds!  :lol:

This is a great screen capture of old school meets new technology new technology flies by old school:

340311_oldtech.jpg

Yeah, I purposefully left that sequence with the horse in there.

What we hear in those flyby segments are what people hear when I zip by. It really must be alien like for people who have never seen one, and to see a person fly by standing up. Almost wish I could experience that newness.

Edited by Marty Backe
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Yup. This kind of thing normally happens when battery level is low. Also, if there's not enough power/torque left at speeds+braking, if the wheel can't get itself out of the hole quick enough, it will shut off. Just like when I drop my X3 down a hole, it shut off because it can't climb out in time. Another time, the X3 dumped me off the back because I was doing max speed into a hard brake with 1-bar battery left - just like in the Tesla video. With a big step, my V8 pedals flex downwards significantly too, but didn't shut off. For Tesla to shut off like this, besides being a problematic wheel, it could be a combination of factors - speed+braking+hole+bodyposition+battery.

Edited by Meng Yang
add
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1