THE VIDEO THREAD!

dpong

8 minutes ago, Jason McNeil said:

Marty's videos are becoming masterpieces in cinematography, videos are so sharp, nice selection of perspectives. Is your selfie stick also a tripod?  

Thanks :D  I hope you saw the EWheels branded version that I posted on your Facebook page :whistling:

I found the perfect tripod/selfie stick years ago, prior to riding EUCs. It works perfectly.

41AtsJx+edL.jpg

Which unfurls automatically to a 45-inch tripod in a couple of seconds

Tamrac_ZipShot_1.jpg

Tamrac no longer makes the large Zipshot, but Amazon sells what looks nearly identical but re-branded:See it here

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

23 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

For my first 4K video I took a ride today along Redondo Beach on my KS14S. A beautiful November day in California B)

That's it... I need to start planning my next California trip!

I wonder if I might become "Backe's eUni-Rentals" first customer?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 11/13/2017 at 5:16 PM, Ombre said:

Here's the video from our latest Phoenix-area ride with @dbfrese @Playarider.  Good times.  We encountered puppies, roller derby girls, unicycles with 36" wheels, a Quinceañera photo session, angry street people, a WWII German escape tunnel, and a kid who wanted to follow us home. Plus some pretty good riding.

Nice to see you emerge from your summer hibernation :) Enjoyed the video.

So, do you think that those unicyclists are going to join the EUC club? That one guy picked it up real quick.

Edited by Marty Backe
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Ombre said:

Those unicyclists were pretty devoted to their 36" wheels so I don't know.  They kept trying to recruit us to join them, for Monday night unicycle basketball!  I think @Playarider was seriously considering checking it out. 

Funny, it doesn't have to be either/or.  I didn't throw away my bicycle when I started riding EUCs.  Maybe they thought that they'd be giving up the cause if they rode one.

Were they aware of EUCs before seeing you guys?

• Upvote 1

It seemed like they'd never seen EUCs before, or at least not up close.  After his trial ride, the guy in the blue shirt said he'd be checking EUCs out, so I wouldn't be surprised if he joined up with us someday.  @dbfrese gave him a card with some info.  I need to start carrying some sort of card too!

I agree, it's not either/or.  But I was thinking that after recently spending big bucks on a 36" wheel (with a disc brake!) he might want to focus on just one toy.  I hope I'm wrong about that. We need more riders in southern Arizona.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Ombre said:

It seemed like they'd never seen EUCs before, or at least not up close.  After his trial ride, the guy in the blue shirt said he'd be checking EUCs out, so I wouldn't be surprised if he joined up with us someday.  @dbfrese gave him a card with some info.  I need to start carrying some sort of card too!

I agree, it's not either/or.  But I was thinking that after recently spending big bucks on a 36" wheel (with a disc brake!) he might want to focus on just one toy.  I hope I'm wrong about that. We need more riders in southern Arizona.

I always have a few EUC cards in my wallet for when I come across a very enthusiastic pedestrian. I never give them to people who only express a passing interest - you can always tell.

I wonder what Big Bucks amounts to in the unicyclist world. We know how much our wheels cost. Somehow I suspect that we could buy many of those for one of ours.

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

II wonder what Big Bucks amounts to in the unicyclist world. We know how much our wheels cost. Somehow I suspect that we could buy many of those for one of ours.

@Marty Backe, I think you'd be surprised. Here's a link to the model that one of them had -- he just bought it recently to replace a worn out 36". You could pretty much swap one-for-one!

https://www.unicycle.com/kris-holm-36-road-unicycle/ 

Edited by dbfrese
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, dbfrese said:

@Marty Backe, I think you'd be surprised. Here's a link to the model that one of them had -- he just bought it recently to replace a worn out 36". You could pretty much swap one-for-one!

https://www.unicycle.com/kris-holm-36-road-unicycle/ 

Wow, that is surprising. Of course that's a higher end unicycle swap for lower end EUC. But point taken.

5 hours ago, Scatcat said:

That's a impulse control challenged 19 year old for you... I wonder what went on in his head the second before the jump?...

"This seems a good idea!"

A few hours later...

"It seemed a good idea at the time!"

------

I do get it on why he (and his ilk) do that. Social media views is the coin of the 21st century. A person like that, doing a skill like that, gets mad respect from guys and mad pussy from girls. Occasionally I go to strictly amateur skateboard meetings put on by a bar or a hotel, and the number of hot young girls attempting to get it on with the skaters is ludicrous. That's just the amateur level.

I'll even wager this Audi affair will do nothing but good for him (despite him apologetically deleting his account instead of what I would do...embrace the noteriety and pay the damned fine). Although he doesn't know it yet, it is better to do something brave and be caught so the whole world knows you're a risk-taker than to do something brave and no one knows.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

"This seems a good idea!"

A few hours later...

"It seemed a good idea at the time!"

------

I do get it on why he (and his ilk) do that. Social media views is the coin of the 21st century. A person like that, doing a skill like that, gets mad respect from guys and mad pussy from girls. Occasionally I go to strictly amateur skateboard meetings put on by a bar or a hotel, and the number of hot young girls attempting to get it on with the skaters is ludicrous. That's just the amateur level.

I'll even wager this Audi affair will do nothing but good for him (despite him apologetically deleting his account instead of what I would do...embrace the noteriety and pay the damned fine). Although he doesn't know it yet, it is better to do something brave and be caught so the whole world knows you're a risk-taker than to do something brave and no one knows.

my opinion is all of this senseless violence comes from a lack of good child rearing. raising children, cattle, dogs, cats, monkeys whatever requires teaching proper behavior. if that had been me, i wouldn’t be worried about the cops or paying for the damage, my father would have beat me senseless. plus these losers who will probably never accomplish much in their lives, do love their 15 minutes of notoriety that all the media provides. growing up with black and white tv, 3 networks, we didn’t have that enticement of getting likes. i’ve got kids at the apartment complex next door that are knocking down the fence separating my cows from the complex and trespassing on my ranch. the cops don’t help, the apt mgmt don’t help and think it’s nbd, until one of the gets hurt over here. obviously their parents or parent have no idea where their kids are. my suggestion, if u don’t want to have/raise kids, don’t have any. 

59 minutes ago, novazeus said:

i’ve got kids at the apartment complex next door that are knocking down the fence separating my cows from the complex and trespassing on my ranch. the cops don’t help, the apt mgmt don’t help and think it’s nbd, until one of the gets hurt over here. obviously their parents or parent have no idea where their kids are. my suggestion, if u don’t want to have/raise kids, don’t have any. 

If you were to ambush those kids with a rifle, kill one, and attempt to kill or injure the others by chasing them from your territory to their territory, and wipe out their kin if you can, do you think you'd have any more problems with them trespassing?

That is the state of humans (minus high-powered rifle) for hundred of thousands of years. Young men testing other men's territory isn't a bug, or something bad; it's a feature from billions of years of evolution. Brave young men will always push into territory in the hopes of acquiring resources and eliminating other people not of their kin. Women, recognizing the bravery of these men, reward them with their reproductive access, and thereby ensure the next generation of brave men.

Now you can discourage such bravery in your sons by inflicting terrible pain when they are brave, socially or physically, but then you'd be raising timid boys that wouldn't reproduce into the next generation.

Think about your words. You mention these boys live in apartments, probably packed like sardines on the most unpromising land, whereas you have this huge land that you own. It sounds less like raiding and more like a noble with the uppity peons encroaching on Sherwood Forrest.

You could do what the landed nobles of old did; recruit the peasants. You could let these kids work for you, play with your neat toys like the motorcycles and EUCs that you don't use, and in turn make friends who would also guard your body through a sense of loyalty.

That is what I would do.

2 hours ago, LanghamP said:

If you were to ambush those kids with a rifle, kill one, and attempt to kill or injure the others by chasing them from your territory to their territory, and wipe out their kin if you can, do you think you'd have any more problems with them trespassing?

That is the state of humans (minus high-powered rifle) for hundred of thousands of years. Young men testing other men's territory isn't a bug, or something bad; it's a feature from billions of years of evolution. Brave young men will always push into territory in the hopes of acquiring resources and eliminating other people not of their kin. Women, recognizing the bravery of these men, reward them with their reproductive access, and thereby ensure the next generation of brave men.

Now you can discourage such bravery in your sons by inflicting terrible pain when they are brave, socially or physically, but then you'd be raising timid boys that wouldn't reproduce into the next generation.

Think about your words. You mention these boys live in apartments, probably packed like sardines on the most unpromising land, whereas you have this huge land that you own. It sounds less like raiding and more like a noble with the uppity peons encroaching on Sherwood Forrest.

You could do what the landed nobles of old did; recruit the peasants. You could let these kids work for you, play with your neat toys like the motorcycles and EUCs that you don't use, and in turn make friends who would also guard your body through a sense of loyalty.

That is what I would do.

yeah, doesn’t work that way. it’s about respecting property rights, just like the hoodlum jumping on the hood of that audi. idk where u came up with shooting the kids but if i allow anybody to trespass with my knowledge, without reporting it, it’s called, trespass by permission, and if a kid gets hurt over here, alligator, snake, my herd animals, their parents/parent would hire an attorney and sue me. and the jury of their peers would probably award them money.  i’m not a park or some surrogate parent, i’ve got plenty to do. knocking down a fence that houses livestock in florida is a felony. if u think about it, u can understand why. if the parent/parents didn’t want to raise them in apartments, there are plenty of houses for rent in the same area cheaper. we live in a different world now. i’m assuming u are an adult. i wouldn’t let u on the ranch to do stuff because if u don’t know this, what i do is the most dangerous profession in the usa. the liability is too great. if u don’t have assets or money, u don’t have to worry about that, i do.

so yeah, their territory expansion will be curtailed by the long arm of the law with evidence that can’t be questioned. better to correct them now so hopefully they don’t progress into criminal activity like shooting cows with crossbows or guns or a myriad of criminal activity i’ve had to deal with my whole life. i’m no different than anybody else i just have a big yard. i’m sure u wouldn’t won’t kids coming to ur yard, if u have one, building campfires, drinking beers, harming ur pets etc.

• Like 1