In the news...

Circuitmage

I truly hope you are right Marty. I had hoped that when Segways first hit the market we would have eventually made them legal but it never happened. Its not like our cycling infrastructure has improved one jot since then either. Our road traffic laws are archaic and very few uk citizens outside of London use bicycles for commuting which doesnt help peoples personal transport views. Most of our roads have poor pavements (walkways) and are full of pedestrians. My trip to the Netherlands was an eye opener for sure. They have nailed it.

2 hours ago, Planemo said:

I had hoped that when Segways first hit the market we would have eventually made them legal but it never happened.

It was never comparable in the number of (potential and real) users though.

10 hours ago, Sidewalk Enforcer said:

lol, is that a brexit reference Marty? :roflmao:

Brexit never occurred to me when I typed that. I just figure that where people have some control over how government controls their lives, they'll eventually change the laws affecting EUC's, scooters, etc.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/scottlucas/san-francisco-spent-a-decade-being-rich-important-and

Apparently Inmotion riders with wingtips are part of the techies that drive up homeless rates in San Francisco.

All right, which one of you rides an Inmotion wearing wingtips and with hands in pockets?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kens said:

Man, I've seen this posted all over the place. I don't get it. No big deal as far as I see it :confused1:

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Man, I've seen this posted all over the place. I don't get it. No big deal as far as I see it :confused1:

Bay Bridge is an interstate highway, is it not? Though I've never been to SF, maybe the traffic there keeps the interstates flowing at a navigable 25 or 30 MPH at all times...😅

• Like 1

Segway's new S-Pod personal transportation device is expected to be shown at CES 2020. Everyone else likes to call it the 'Hover-Chair'.

Wired: https://www.wired.com/story/segway-bringing-hoverchairs-wall-e-life/

Electrek: https://electrek.co/2020/01/03/segway-unveils-24-mph-s-pod-hoverchair/

Edited by FreeRide

It seems blocky. Using it instead of a wheelchair (some people here are adamant they couldn't ride an Airwheel S8 because it has no back and nothing to hang onto) still requires being able to get into and out of the S-pod.

My guess (there is no form of scale in the picture) is that it has a bigger footprint than the S8. Also, that it may have bigger batteries, as the top speed was much higher. No storage capacity I could see - I use a light backpack on the S8.

I wonder what the pricetag will be. Something to watch. Our retirement community is struggling to incorporate new stuff in their regulations, and in the planned dining room renovation - it's hard to get through the buffet when several people are using walkers or wheelchairs at the same time.

https://www.bicycleretailer.com/industry-news/2020/01/12/customs-ruling-means-e-bikes-excluded-tariffs

WASHINGTON (BRAIN) — U.S. Customs and Border Protection has ruled that e-bikes fall under the same category as electric motorcycles and therefore share an exclusion, granted in September, from the Trump administration's Section 301 tariffs on Chinese imports. The decision means importers of Chinese e-bikes are now exempt from paying the 25% tariff the administration imposed in August 2018. Importers should be able to collect previously paid tariffs as well.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, seage said:

Hey mate. Good on you for this story. It has been sent to me by my discord community (I'm an illustrator that live streams, so it was super weird that they sent it to me). My family over in the states and my family in the UK, so both sides of my family, haha. You got some realll positive exposure with this! My cousins even started contemplating getting wheels. 

Awesome! Really great to hear this, makes my day. :)

• Like 1