In the news...

Circuitmage

On 12/16/2018 at 9:45 PM, Alex_from_NZ said:

People do, in fact there are industries made of it.  Problem is no matter what, the shit gets there.  Tsunami, landslide, heavy rains, shitty people, accidents, ...

Midway between Central America and New Zealand:

Garbage litters East Beach on Henderson Island in the south Pacific Ocean. The uninhabited island has been found to have the world's highest density of waste plastic.

Image: Plasti waste on Henderson Island in the south Pacific Ocean

Jennifer Lavers / Institute for Marine and Antarctic Studies via EPA

There is some hope :efee47c9c8:

https://www.theoceancleanup.com/

Image: Boyan Slat

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, RockyTop said:

Sound awful! ......  Until you realize that most of the “kids “ are gang members.

Two questions: 1) How do you know that most of the killed "kids" are gang members? 2) Let's assume this is true, how is that any less awful? It sounds pretty awful to me that so many kids join gangs that those who get shot become a relevant part of the death statistics!

6 minutes ago, Mono said:

Two questions: 1) How do you know that most of the killed "kids" are gang members? 2) Let's assume this is true, how is that any less awful? It sounds pretty awful to me that so many kids join gangs that those who get shot become a relevant part of the death statistics!

Their intention is to mislead people about gun statistics.  

1) I am very familiar with the these studies. When people come up with these misleading shock statements they have to get very creative with their numbers. For example these stats do not include children 0-1 years old because the death by cancer is high at that age. They have to include CHILDREN that are 18 and 19 years old because the death by guns are highest among gangs between 15-25 years old. You can look these number up very easily. (FBI and CDC reports)      By law 18 and 19 year old's are not children and most people think of 15-19 as teens.

2) Becoming a drug dealer or joining a gang is a choice. Yes it is sad that many YOUNG ADULTS join gangs but it is not as sad as the picture that they try to paint of little 7 year old Timmy getting shot while playing ball. The GANGS are what people should be upset about. If the gangs did not have guns they would just kill each other with knives or bombs or poison or curb stomping or.............or .........     As Archie Bunker said " Would you rather they was thrown out of windows? Huh?" 

It is simply a very intentionally misleading statement ........ Very socially and emotionally dishonest. 

What does it say when they have to mislead people to push their agenda?  

• Like 1

@RockyTop,I understood that they talked about children up to (but maybe excluded) 19 years. It was not at all hidden, written in the first sentence after the headline. I still didn't get how you know that most of the killed "kids" are gang members.

8 hours ago, Mono said:

@RockyTop,I understood that they talked about children up to (but maybe excluded) 19 years. It was not at all hidden, written in the first sentence after the headline. I still didn't get how you know that most of the killed "kids" are gang members.

FBI and CDC records. 

80% of US homicides are gang related. CDC FBI

96% of US gang members are 15-25 years old. FBI

93% of gang victims are other gangs. FBI

The highest % of US gun deaths are 15-25 years old. (Average is 19 years old.) CDC

The lowest % of US gun deaths are under 14 years old. CDC

Suicide is also a factor. Using poison  ( drugs ) is three times higher than gun deaths under the age of 18 years old. CDC

• Upvote 2

They are public record. The records do not have an agenda so you have to look through all kinds of unrelated information with charts of numbers but it is all public record. You will either get overwhelmed or go down a Rabit hole for days. 

CDC.gov  -  NVSS   NVSR

FBI.gov   > resources > crime > 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, RockyTop said:

80% of US homicides are gang related. CDC FBI

That doesn't sound right, there must be a typo somewhere in this sentence. Or could you actually believe this without triple-checking?

OK, so if I try to prove myself wrong. This is what I come up with. 

_(80% of US homicides are gang related. CDC FBI )_

The FBI states that Essentially 80% of US homicides are gang related. (key word essentially )

If you run the CDC numbers 11,500 gang and 15,535 overall you only get 74% actual

2 hours ago, RockyTop said:

80% of US homicides are gang related

32 minutes ago, Mono said:

That doesn't sound right, there must be a typo somewhere in this sentence. Or could you actually believe this without triple-checking?

Seems you are right to not believe this. As it seems the additional information "in Los Angeles" is missing.

From https://www.nationalgangcenter.gov/survey-analysis/measuring-the-extent-of-gang-problems

Because of the many issues surrounding the maintenance and collection of gang-crime data, caution is urged when interpreting the results presented below. For more information regarding this issue, see: www.nationalgangcenter.gov/About/FAQ#q5.

The number of gang-related homicides reported from 2007 to 2012 is displayed by area type and population size.

• From 2007 through 2012, a sizeable majority (more than 80 percent) of respondents provided data on gang-related homicides in their jurisdictions.
  • The total number of gang homicides reported by respondents in the NYGS sample averaged nearly 2,000 annually from 2007 to 2012. During roughly the same time period (2007 to 2011), the FBI estimated, on average, more than 15,500 homicides across the United States (www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/crime-in-the-u.s/2011/crime-in-the-u.s.-2011/tables/table-1). These estimates suggest that gang-related homicides typically accounted for around 13 percent of all homicides annually.

But from http://www.lapdonline.org/detective_bureau/content_basic_view/45598

Statistics have shown that approximately 70-80% of all homicides are gang related

The FBI states that Essentially 80% of US homicides are gang related. (key word essentially )

If you run the CDC numbers 11,500 gang and 15,535 overall you only get 74% actual

That doesn't sound right either. I certainly wasn't nit-picking on 8%. Why don't you give the source, where you have read these data from specifically (not a page that contains millions of data, but the article or table where the actual numbers that you are citing appear)? That would make it much less cumbersome.

As @Chriull found: These estimates suggest that gang-related homicides typically accounted for around 13 percent of all homicides annually. Source: https://www.nationalgangcenter.gov/survey-analysis/measuring-the-extent-of-gang-problems

Now we have to reconcile the two contradicting numbers, but 13% sounds way more realistic to me than 74%.

Edited by Mono
  • Like 1

The NGC is new to me. I will have to circle back to them at a later date. This will take more research than most claims. The CDC takes time to navigate. 

First look shows that the NGC focuses on youth and excludes many groups that the FBI does not exclude. It then calculates that number against 15,000.  So 13% is an educated city sample guess of youth gang homicide. This does not help my argument but it does explain a spreed. The FBI numbers may include "gangs for profit" drugs dealers etc.

Edited by RockyTop

The NGC is new to me. I will have to circle back to them at a later date. This will take more research than most claims. The CDC takes time to navigate. 

First look shows that the NGC focuses on youth and excludes many groups that the FBI does not exclude. It then calculates that number against 15,000.  So 13% is an educated city sample guess of youth gang homicide. This does not help my argument but it does explain a spreed. The FBI numbers may include "gangs for profit" drugs dealers etc.

I find the FBI figures amusing because it confirms every prejudice and generalization we have about crime.

However, let me be clear about two things:

1. It's a good thing we have many young men roaming around causing trouble, because it means our civilization's homicide rate is extremely low (I believe historically the lowest ever). Previous generations sent our young men off to the glory and honor of, um, trench warfare.

2. We have modern day black-people slavery, because while the majority of tax dollars is collected from inner cities the majority of tax dollars is spent in the suburbs. The inner city subsidies the suburbs.

• Like 1

*Disturbing Video* 

BE CAREFUL OUT THERE

Driver runs over scooter rider 1-3-19

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqXr0u

Preview YouTube video RAW VIDEO: Man riding scooter run over during Los Angeles police chase | ABC7

JSluk

Edited by Yunicyle
ADDED VERBAGE
  • Like 2

Sorry for the guy even if he seems to have been driving his scooter pretty thoughtlessly. The story makes it seem like he's going to okay, at least eventually. Amazing how tough people can be.

Upon further review, the driver veered over to hit him deliberately.

Edited by winterwheel

Yes the driver deliberately ran over the poor dude on the scooter.  News story says the driver is an Iraq/Afghanistan vet with PTSD.  BUT there is no excuse for attempted murder of an innocent bystander, even if that person is riding his scooter like a selfish git in the middle of the road.

BTW THIS is why I don't ride my EUC on public roads...too many wankers driving 2 ton leathal weapons and not looking where they are going.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Smoother said:

Yes the driver deliberately ran over the poor dude on the scooter.  News story says the driver is an Iraq/Afghanistan vet with PTSD.  BUT there is no excuse for attempted murder of an innocent bystander, even if that person is riding his scooter like a selfish git in the middle of the road.

BTW THIS is why I don't ride my EUC on public roads...too many wankers driving 2 ton leathal weapons and not looking where they are going.

And this is why whenever I do ride on streets I'm wearing a helmet with a mounted mirror for situational awareness. I'm always glancing at the mirror to see if you upcoming cars are giving me a wide berth. If not, I move closer to the shoulder.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

And this is why whenever I do ride on streets I'm wearing a helmet with a mounted mirror for situational awareness. I'm always glancing at the mirror to see if you upcoming cars are giving me a wide berth. If not, I move closer to the shoulder.

I did actually think about you and your "antenna" and if you would have seen this murderer, and taken avoiding action.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

+100. Knowing what is behind you (all around you, actually) at all times is key to safe riding. As the horrific recent Vietnam video shows, this is also important when stopped at a light or in traffic. If something is coming up behind me — or, barreling toward me — I need to know.

• Like 1