In the news...

Circuitmage

20 hours ago, ZenRyder said:

This is a new article in wired. While it mentions OneWheel it also talks about Kingsong & Gotway. 

"Electric unicycles, like the kinds made by InMotion and King Song, are designed for the commuter. The rider stands upright, facing forward as they zoom down the street (or, if they’re terrible people, the sidewalk), the single wheel spinning around between their ankles."

There are a lot of interesting concepts discussed in this article. It also mentions EUCO @Nick McCutcheon

Full article:

https://www.wired.com/story/one-wheeled-vehicles-micromobility/

A very interesting read indeed. Nice change from the usual sensationalist garbage written about us...

I particularly enjoyed this paragraph:

This desire to move around on a single wheel is a desire for simplicity and impossibility at the same time. Perhaps that comes from defiance—a rejection of human limitations that drives us to transcend our bipedal existence.

“Instead of us conforming to the shape of a seat in a car or riding a bike, this is actually the next step in transhumanism,” Rose Wang, the founder of EUCO says. “We basically are human, but we are augmented by machines. This is really pushing us toward that direction, where we're not just interfacing with this machine, this machine actually becomes a part of us.”

And I liked seeing the idea below (a sentiment I'm sure we all share) laid out so straight-forwardly:

A niche shouldn’t be mistaken for a fad. The enduring allure of the monowheel captures the attention of enough people that it’s likely single-wheeled vehicles are here to stay for the long haul. 

P.S.:

20 hours ago, ZenRyder said:

What do you think? Shhh, let's keep the naming thing out of it and not get caught up kicking that dead horse. 

:roflmao:

Edited by travsformation
  • Like 3

45 minutes ago, Eko said:

My total respect and deepest congratulations to anybody commuting even in the full of winter riding a euc or a bike.   

I've had so much enjoyment out of this I think in a few years, once we have a  few more people doing it, it could develop into a full-on winter sport.

Edited by winterwheel
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, winterwheel said:

Here's a pro tip for anyone here who might get interviewed: bring your own list of a few interesting questions along.

In my case the reporter wasn't too sure what to ask so I handed him a little piece of paper and he used that as a starting point. I straight up said "I brought along some questions you can ask if you like." He asked a lot of other stuff as well of course, but I think that's why there's actually quite a bit of useful information in the written piece particularly.

Also, some of the shots taken in the video, including the bridge shot, were actually suggested by me; he did his thing and then I gently inquired if it might be interesting to get some shots that included the bridge. I kept having to reassure him that it was no problem at all for me to go all the way to middle of the bridge for that long shot.

The point of all this is not to toot my own horn, but to let anyone else who might be interviewed know that reporters are sometimes pretty open to getting help doing a story on a subject they know nothing about and that's an opportunity to guide the story in a positive direction.

They're often also completely clueless as to what an EUC is, involves, etc., so I'm sure a bit of guidance is welcome (particularly 'cause they're probably too embarrassed to ask)

So good thinking with the pre-prepared questions! :thumbup:

• Like 3

Way to go! That was a great interview and you came off like a normal guy, that just is enjoying his life! I say that because sometimes people come off as very strange on the air, but you did amazing.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Fuerte said:

Way to go! That was a great interview and you came off like a normal guy, that just is enjoying his life! I say that because sometimes people come off as very strange on the air, but you did amazing.

Strange? Why on Earth would you say that? Just two average Californians, stopping for a coffee break on their way to work...

2020-01-20-12-14-17-3-Crazy-Electric-Uni

• Like 1

7 hours ago, seage said:

Anyways, just wanted to drop that news. Got my brother riding. Sister just learned how and is shopping for a wheel, and now my dad....crazy. 

Wow! Great news! Congrats to you, and congrats to @winterwheel for the great PR !!!

BTW,  what do you think of this as a potential EUC publicity project? ;)

Edited by travsformation

9 hours ago, seage said:

Well @winterwheel, you did it. Your story went further than I could have imagined and now...oh man, im so happy, lmao. Okay, so basically, my parents went to a family friends place to go watch the footy match, as they like to do sometimes. Said family friend goes to my dad "Hey, have you seen this thing? This guy out in Edmonton-" My parents start to laugh and explain that thats what I ride, but they hadnt seen the video. My mum shoots me an email with your story. The 15th message ive gotten with the same link, by the way LOL. So later on i'm talking to them and my dad is just like "I didnt know it could be used like that. And that guy is around my age. It makes me think..I might just have to get one. I still love cycling, but some days it would just be nice to hop on the kingsong and jet to work" I was like. Wait...what did you just say??

Now hes been asking me questions all evening. He helped me with replacing my inner shell. Watched me learn to ride. Helped me patch it up and build some stuff to strengthen my shell, so he knows a bit more about them than most non-riders. But he wasnt convinced to want to try it, until he saw you and your video. I think it also helped that you're here in canada too, riding through conditions he understands well, because i've shown him marty, i've shown him ian from speedyfeet. And i guess the rain, mud and perfect always summer weathers didnt click,, lmfao. Sorry guys! 

Anyways, just wanted to drop that news. Got my brother riding. Sister just learned how and is shopping for a wheel, and now my dad....crazy. 

That's fantastic news, it sounded like one last little nudge was all that was needed, very glad the story played a part. I'm going to pass this along  to the reporter (I know him on twitter now since the story came out).

2 hours ago, travsformation said:

BTW,  what do you think of this as a potential EUC publicity project? ;)

It would be beyond awesome, I would love to figure out how to make something like that work.

Edited by winterwheel
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Fuerte said:

That was my fear as well, that I'd be presented as a nut, but thankfully the reporter didn't go that way.

• Like 1

On 1/19/2020 at 4:55 PM, winterwheel said:

I've had so much enjoyment out of this I think in a few years, once we have a  few more people doing it, it could develop into a full-on winter sport.

I am in my family montain-home now and today I've tried to do a ride with my mountain-bike in a dedicated cyclo-path (dolomitica) but they closed it in several points even with warning signs and orange net in the Best single track area. Very Few ice and compact snow (perfect for mtb).   Here how it works in italy.  Obviously cars eveywhere also here, driven and parked.

I can't imagine what they would do to  somebody able to ride eucs here in winter and on snowed paths.    

Edited by Eko

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Kens said:

https://oppositelock.kinja.com/some-gentlemen-near-me-have-decided-that-lighter-than-u-1842730378

I'm bringing full rgb disco ball if in ever riding near this area..

Now we know what some people think of us as we ride by in total freedom.

• Like 3

How dare people use a unique opportunity for their enjoyment that hurts absolutely nobody!:rolleyes:

This just tells us how entitled people (and car drivers in particular) are. And it shows the best way to fix this is to simply act, not ask nicely what other people think. Because that's what they think.

9 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Now we know what some people think of us as we ride by in total freedom.

Well said. Very poetic:wub:

• Like 3

Sad! ! The word ‘Gentleman’ was used for the impact headline but ‘Dude’ became the disparaging name to describe the poor guy out enjoying his wheel. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, John Walden said:

Well? I guess if you want a positive story in the news, you just have to go out and do it yourself. Thanks you for making us look good! :thumbup:

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Interesting EUC story that just appeared In the Vancouver Sun,. Link to full story below.

50392137921_3320be3c0a_b.jpg

https://vancouversun.com/news/who-needs-a-car-electric-unicycles-among-new-forms-of-micro-urban-transportation/wcm/1164a4b6-7b15-46ac-a279-9b643823ae35/amp/

Edited by Rehab1
  • Like 1

saw that earlier today, towards the end the VS tows the provincial party line re EUC's still not being 'legal'. BC municipalities need to get their bottoms in gear and launch their pilot programs. The split messages need to stop i.e. good boy for doing everything you should for the environment etc., bad boy for being a criminal when riding that oh so dangerous device on the street. Comments section on that article reflect a lot of the local ignorance as well..

• Like 2