In the news...

Circuitmage

Meanwhile in (not just) New Zealand...

Lime wheels locking up could mark the beginning of the end for e-scooters

"I was heading downhill, sailing over smooth white concrete at about 30kmh, when the front wheel locked up, sending me flying over the handle bars."

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/industries/110317293/lime-wheels-locking-up-could-mark-the-beginning-of-the-end-for-escooters 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

"I was heading downhill, sailing over smooth white concrete at about 30kmh, when the front wheel locked up, sending me flying over the handle bars."

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/industries/110317293/lime-wheels-locking-up-could-mark-the-beginning-of-the-end-for-escooters 

From what I’ve read it was a firmware issue resulting from a recent update designed to prevent theft. Lime is a behemoth in the EScooter industry and have the funds to  easily squelch any negative publicity that would affect their long term business paradigm. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rehab1 said:

From what I’ve read it was a firmware issue resulting from a recent update designed to prevent theft. 

Goddamnit I was reading your post and of course it's a firmware issue. Electric scooters don't just stop like that unless someone told them to.

There's YouTube videos showing how easily controller boards can be replaced. I suspect theft is a huge problem with all the scooter companies. Maybe 1 out of 5?

• Like 1

A couple of months ago, I was in Long Beach, CA. While waiting to cross the main drag (8 lanes including parking), a very big and VERY heavy young dude on a rental scooter shot past me crossing against the sign and then re-crossing again at full speed while randomly avoiding people and cars. Just as the crosswalk sign signalled for me to walk, he was passing me again and I realized that his rear tire was completely flat and he was riding on the rim. I said, "WHAT are you doing!!"

"F~@k it!!!", he yells, and disapears off into the distance.

Hilarious and sad...

• Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 7:18 PM, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Just an update on this Lime issue... Auckland Transport boss says Lime must prove e-scooters are safe by Friday

And then this... Lime e-scooters off Auckland and Dunedin streets over wheel-locking issue

In fact this news site now a whole section dedicated to Lime in New Zealand.

I wonder if Roll.nz will have a burst of scooter sales next week...   :D

It's apparent that eScooters are eating bicycles, as both Offo and limebike both pulled out of St Louis. Or, rather, their bikes were stolen or vandalized. Bicycles don't last long in St Louis, as 100% of my fellow members in the local bike club have all had their bikes stolen at one time or another.

Let me reiterate 100%. I'm my case I got two bicycles and one motorcycle stolen. All locked up...granted I had insurance but still...

https://www.riverfronttimes.com/newsblog/2019/02/04/bike-sharing-is-dead-in-st-louis-for-now?media=AMP+HTML

• Like 1

... I'm coming to Austin TX next month for a show at the convention center, and I was wondering if I need a car rental, or if e-scooters are readily available so I won't need one.

Lime and Bird have both approached Philadelphia and probably would have been given permits .. BUT .. PA law Specifically bans e-scooters on all public roads and sidewalks. Philly's officials have stated they will not approach Harrisburg (Capital) to lobby for a change in the law. They said it was in the scooter rental companies' court now. I will be interesting to see if they will lobby for a change in law or move on. Segway was successful and that new class of vehicle probably legitimizes EUCs, even though it states "two" wheels.

Philly is very bike friendly and there are lots of bike lanes and bike paths that would make e-scooter rental attractive. There are plenty of bike rentals, at least for nine months out of the year. There is almost no PEV activity, however, among all the bikes. Over the last year I have seen 5 x  eSK8 boards, 2 x ONWHEELS, 2 x e-bikes, and 3 x EUCs during my commuting and recreational riding. :cry2:

I can tell you from a visit to a long-tme local diner yesterday on lunch that many here in Nashville are not fans of the e-scooter craze at all to say the least. To quote the the very colorful commentary of the old lady who owns the Hermitage Cafe: 

"I just want to close-line one of them motherfuckers right off those scooters! They zoom up & down here all day long without a care for the safety of folks on the sidewalks or themselves."

The two retired Metro Police officers who are regulars there along with several others seemed to strongly agree with her. I feel like regulation will be coming soon. Business owners in Downtown Nashville hold sway here for sure, It's common knowledge.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Jason McNeil said:

The white side-panels date the MSuper to early 2017 vintage. 

https://www.sunlive.co.nz/news/201379-meter-reader-zooming-between-jobs.html

Meter reader zooming between jobs

190301-unicyle-meter-reader-KW-1.jpg

Wells meter reader Craig Poole travels around using an electric unicycle.

A Tauranga man is paving the way for a new form of meter reading transport.

Wells meter reader Craig Poole travels between jobs on an electric unicycle, compared to the standard meter reader on foot.

Craig says he is the only meter reader who uses an electric unicycle as it was his own personal choice to ride it.

He describes it as “economical” and “time saving”.

“I get sore legs, so I purchased it myself. It cost $2500.”

Despite the dangers of unicycling along public paths and roads, Craig is well equipped with knee pads, bike gloves and elbow pads.

Interesting. I had a whitewalled ACM from that period too. Early 2017.  This guy paid premo-bucks though - I think he got robbed by whoever sold it to him.

I like your word "vintage" for describing a wheel that's barely 2-years old :D

All of these type of jobs seem perfect for an EUC.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Smoother said:

Take pride in your appearance when riding.  Don't smush your trousers up with your knee pads if you don't want to look like a dweeb.  Remember, 90% of people you pass are staring at the strange machine between your ankles.

Yes! If you wear kneepads over pants, you should have dedicated pairs that are approximately two inches longer in the inseam than you would normally wear, for reasons both form and function... All hear this!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Mmhmmm said:

Yes! If you wear kneepads over pants, you should have dedicated pairs that are approximately two inches longer in the inseam than you would normally wear, for reasons both form and function... All hear this!

Or at least make sure you have matching socks, which is generally not my case 😂

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Mmhmmm said:

Actually I have a confession:  The other day I was wearing a regular pair of pants and when I put my knee pads on the pants rode up so high I looked like a meter reader.  Hiking my pants down didn't help much and gave me an unattractive saggy bottom look (more so than usual).  So of course you know what I did, that's right, I left the knee pads in the car :facepalm:

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

That's the problem with Depends!   :whistling:

Actually a pair (?) of depends might just be the ticket; filling out my jeans nicely, and that's before I get to put them to their intended use.  Even a bit of bum/hip protection in the process.  You may be onto something there.;)

• Like 1

On 3/1/2019 at 3:09 PM, Marty Backe said:

Interesting. I had a whitewalled ACM from that period too. Early 2017.  This guy paid premo-bucks though -...

Don't forget the knee pads, elbow pads, valve-stem adapter, insoles, high-viz accessories, green slime, etc.  The protective gear adds up. 

• Like 1

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/03/08/the-cdc-is-investigating-rise-in-e-scooter-injuries.html

• The data reveals that 98 percent of patients were not wearing a helmet. Forty-eight percent had a blood alcohol level above the legal limit for intoxication and 52 percent tested for an illicit substance.

Doing the math...most people crashing scooters are either drunk, high, or both.

It may be time for MADD to form a subgroup: Mothers Against High Scootering.

• Like 2