In the news...

Circuitmage

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

:cry2:

One can't help looking at your signature picture and reading the news from the link above...you are a very brave man Mr. @Marty Backe (joke aside). 

I can say I have developed a habit to charge my wheel at work or when I get hope so I never charge it at night. 

I do think I need to be more cautious about my phone too. After all it charges much faster these day than before than models years back. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, LanghamP said:

https://electrek.co/2019/03/14/disastrous-fire-consumes-all-electric-motorcycles-in-motoe-races-future-uncertain/amp/

In a disasterous turn of events, a garage fire broke out in the facility holding the MotoE racing series electric motorcycles. Early reports are that all 18 bikes were consumed in the blaze.

To the surprise of zero people on this forum, storing a bunch of lithium ion batteries is A Bad Idea (but I do it anyway).

Waching this makes me ill. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Some more anti-PEV sentiment hitting the papers again, guess it gets a lot of clicks or something.

Visually impaired people want e-scooters off the footpath for good

There is no excuse for striking a pedestrian, be it skater, cyclist, jogger, scooter or EUC but I dunno, these articles certainly feel like somebody has an axe to grind.
I mean, there's a pretty strong sense of self-preservation when riding an EUC, cause if you strike anything unexpected during your journey, you're going to be eating dirt in short order soon after.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Sidewalk Enforcer said:

Some more anti-PEV sentiment hitting the papers again, guess it gets a lot of clicks or something.

Visually impaired people want e-scooters off the footpath for good

There is no excuse for striking a pedestrian, be it skater, cyclist, jogger, scooter or EUC but I dunno, these articles certainly feel like somebody has an axe to grind.
I mean, there's a pretty strong sense of self-preservation when riding an EUC, cause if you strike anything unexpected during your journey, you're going to be eating dirt in short order soon after.

Well, they have valid concerns.  As I said in my post, escootes will be the death of EUCs  in major cities.  In a way I'm glad they are illegal here in the UK but then again so are EUCs but at least there isn't new hot of the press legislation fresh on everybody's mind to remind them of our illegality, every time we wheel by.

1 hour ago, Smoother said:

In a way I'm glad they are illegal here in the UK

:efef895ddd:

BOOO!

:eff04a58a6:

We once had a thread talking about how small electric ridable acceptance would or would not occur (I forgot the title and God knows what it started as, but @travsformation was involved). My side was that hoping for goodwill is pointless with today's hysteria, and essentially we have to swarm people until they give up on trying to stop us because the toothpaste won't go back in the tube. As long as the scooters help with that, they're good. (Others hoped for goodwill or coasting by by hiding - not my idea of ideal.)

And as always, the reply to such hitpieces as this article (that's what it is) is: "If you do not want us to ride on the sidewalk (which by the way we would love to get off), how about some decent bike infrastructure? Remove streetside car parking spots and there's more than enough space!".

Edited by meepmeepmayer
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Jason McNeil said:

Local Fox station ran a positive story of a KS18S Rider in Kansas; it has video clip in the report, worth the click. Good work Chip on spreading the good word :) 

https://fox4kc.com/2019/04/05/meet-the-motorized-unicycle-rider-turning-heads-on-kcs-country-club-plaza/

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Just when you learned to adapt to a world where drivers need to share the road with people on electric scooters, there’s another alternative mode of transportation that’s really been turning heads on Kansas City’s Country Club Plaza.

“Oh yeah, I’ve seen him,” Zeke Cisneros said. “He goes around like crazy, having a good time.”

Cisneros is describing “Chip”, who didn’t want his last name used, a 24-year-old who’s been drawing a lot of attention this spring while zipping around the Plaza on a motorized unicycle that can reach speeds of 30 mph.

“I traded in my car for it actually, so it’s saving me thousands of dollars,” Chip said.

Fantastic. It's actually kind of hard to believe how positive the whole video was. Kind of makes me want to learn how to ride one of these new fangled things :lol:

And Chip looks like a maniac on the wheel, riding the beep too :thumbup: Way to have fun.

Thanks for posting this Jason!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Jason McNeil said:

Local Fox station ran a positive story of a KS18S Rider in Kansas; it has video clip in the report, worth the click. Good work Chip on spreading the good word :) 

https://fox4kc.com/2019/04/05/meet-the-motorized-unicycle-rider-turning-heads-on-kcs-country-club-plaza/

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Just when you learned to adapt to a world where drivers need to share the road with people on electric scooters, there’s another alternative mode of transportation that’s really been turning heads on Kansas City’s Country Club Plaza.

“Oh yeah, I’ve seen him,” Zeke Cisneros said. “He goes around like crazy, having a good time.”

Cisneros is describing “Chip”, who didn’t want his last name used, a 24-year-old who’s been drawing a lot of attention this spring while zipping around the Plaza on a motorized unicycle that can reach speeds of 30 mph.

“I traded in my car for it actually, so it’s saving me thousands of dollars,” Chip said.

11 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Fantastic. It's actually kind of hard to believe how positive the whole video was. Kind of makes me want to learn how to ride one of these new fangled things :lol:

And Chip looks like a maniac on the wheel, riding the beep too :thumbup: Way to have fun.

Thanks for posting this Jason!

lol at Chip doing that hard braking while seated on the 18S - looks so sketchy. Certifiable maniac for sure!

Edited by Sidewalk Enforcer
typo
  • Like 2

Uh oh, Manhattan is banning electrics (the article focuses on eBikes but PEVs above 20 mph and that aren't pedal assisted are included) due to them being dangerous despite all 200 people killed on roads last year in NYC were killed by drivers and none by eBikes, scooters, or EUCs.

https://nyc.streetsblog.org/2019/04/09/manhattan-is-blocking-e-scooter-and-e-bike-legalization/

What I did find interesting was the top speed limit on eBikes being regulated. Can I assume NYC will also legislate speed limititers on automobiles?

53 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

Uh oh, Manhattan is banning electrics (the article focuses on eBikes but PEVs above 20 mph and that aren't pedal assisted are included) due to them being dangerous despite all 200 people killed on roads last year in NYC were killed by drivers and none by eBikes, scooters, or EUCs.

https://nyc.streetsblog.org/2019/04/09/manhattan-is-blocking-e-scooter-and-e-bike-legalization/

What I did find interesting was the top speed limit on eBikes being regulated. Can I assume NYC will also legislate speed limititers on automobiles?

The hypocrisy is baked into the system. "The man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest"  (Simon and Garfunkle)

Case in point, from the article:

"The board justifies its opposition to throttle e-bikes on the grounds that the vehicles are “perceived as a serious threat” — implicitly admitting that there is no data to support the assertion that e-bikes are any more dangerous than regular bicycles. Mayor de Blasio often speaks of the perception of danger from e-bikes, yet never provides statistics to back up his fears as he orders the NYPD to seize delivery workers’ bikes, costing the workers several weeks’ pay."

Edited by Smoother
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Smoother said:

The hypocrisy is baked into the system.

If you had asked me last year the state of automobiles versus PEVs or even electric vehicles, I would have said PEVs would see a big adoption rate in urban areas while electric vehicles would soon become the standard automobile. For the small upfront cost of $30,000 per family, most Americans would now have all or most of their energy needs meet with recent solar panels + batteries for about 30 years (the possible life of a solar panel). In comparison, three local bridges (rarely used because until the highway encircles Montgomery the bridges do not actually lead to anywhere) cost more than $400,000,000 while serving a mere 150 families, which I think comes to $2,000,000 per family.

With the present avalanche of evidence that gas and diesel automobiles cause diabetes, mental retardation, cancer, and obesity, and all in studies showing a straightforward causal relationship that even the meanest and most petty skeptic wouldn't refute, and in addition to the direct impact deaths, you would think governments would be encouraging alternative transportation wherever possible. Instead, present figures show an increase, often a dramatic increase, of automobiles worldwide. Interestingly, Lyft and Uber seem to have increased car traffic about 10% while depressing public transportation; they are directly scavenging public transportation.

It seems to me so cheap and easy to switch to mostly electrics; you'd make back your initial up front cost in health savings in, what, 3-5 years? Maybe even just one year. I mean, since most people replace their pickup trucks and cars every seven years, you'd have to switch vehicles anyway.

Instead, we have anti PEV laws, and we are accelerating our ICE vehicle usage.

Edited by LanghamP
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Smoother said:

"The board justifies its opposition to throttle e-bikes on the grounds that the vehicles are “perceived as a serious threat” — implicitly admitting that there is no data to support the assertion that e-bikes are any more dangerous than regular bicycles. Mayor de Blasio often speaks of the perception of danger from e-bikes, yet never provides statistics to back up his fears as he orders the NYPD to seize delivery workers’ bikes, costing the workers several weeks’ pay."

This part reminded me of a bit by Dara O'Briain (first 30ish seconds):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDYba0m6ztE

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Great PR job @NylahTay

This might help bringing EUC forward as a modern way of personal transport. Love your comment on insurance. 

I can only agree with you @meepmeepmayer

• Like 1

1 hour ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Great article with a lot of good quotes!

I thought her quote on driver aggression is notable, as it implies drivers may be her biggest threat to her life.

Then, I’ll have some people who purposely try to... like trucks will get up real close to me and blare their horn to try to scare me," Rogers said. "I’ve learned to ignore it, but the first few times it happened, I almost had a wreck.

Now I've been to Springfield MO a few times, and it's an area with a lot of stroads, so I think she has the right idea of getting a motorcycle. It'd be nice if all of us could trundle along at 12 mph (average speed in most cities and towns in the US during rush hour is under 19 mph).

Also note her wearing the US flag. I strongly encourage all of you to have a USA riding jacket (I have 3) because it dramatically reduces the number of hostile drivers you encounter.

Edited by LanghamP
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...