In the news...

Circuitmage

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, wstuart said:

Yeah!!!! REP SD!!

I met Jim on a group ride.  He was super cool.

That’s great! If you see him again can you find out how he got interviewed? Did he contact the station? I’d like to see if we can duplicate that in other cities 😁

18 minutes ago, 360rumors said:

That’s great! If you see him again can you find out how he got interviewed? Did he contact the station? I’d like to see if we can duplicate that in other cities 😁

That's a good idea!  News stations always have slow news days where they need something to full 5 minutes.  Eucs could work well for that. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wstuart said:

That's a good idea!  News stations always have slow news days where they need something to full 5 minutes.  Eucs could work well for that. 

Yup! Hopefully Jim can shed some light about  how he got in touch with them. 🙏

• 3 weeks later...

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/nj-councilwoman-accused-of-hitting-cyclist-and-driving-off-refuses-calls-to-resign/3801962/?amp=1

Cyclist runs red light and Is completely at fault for accident but council woman hits cyclist and takes off. Doesn’t report accident until hours later

Edited by Mayhem

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, winterwheel said:

I take it the tyre thing was your basic misreporting - since when do tyres catch fire ?! They must mean the battery packs presumably close to it, or possibly the board if there wasn't an actual fire...

Edited by Cerbera

• 5 months later...

In the coverage on Swedish press they stated it should not be a change for personal owned scooters. 

But it would mean a major impact for tourists visiting Paris. 

• 2 months later...
29 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Did that guy actually just crash on his own?

Actually I think you're right. A google search on other reports show a couple of mentions of 'single vehicle collision'. So I suspect the rider lost control, maybe to avoid a hazard. Maybe wasn't wearing a helmet either as the reports mention serious head injuries.

Either way, I have no doubts whatsoever that ALL police officers around the area will now have been tasked to stop ALL pev's they see riding around.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Planemo said:

Wouldn't be surprised if Blackpool have a bit of a clamp down on PEV's now :(

@stephen this is somewhere you visit fairly often..?

Man riding e-scooter dies after crashing on promenade at popular tourist hotspot | The Sun

I'll have to give it a miss for a bit I was only there last week,, scooters give us bad name

36 minutes ago, stephen said:

I'll have to give it a miss for a bit I was only there last week,, scooters give us bad name

One of my favourite places ever to ride is on exactly that sort of environment (beach promenade / seafront), but down on the South Coast, but since I've had the new wheel I have been trying to pluck up courage to go again and try it, aware that I am much more visible to authorities riding there. The blackpool episode is doing a reasonable job of convincing me I probably shouldn't ever ride there again, which makes me sad, annoyed and depressed in pretty much equal measure.

Scooters really are gonna be the end of this hobby if they're not careful, and given the footage I've seen from the places that are trialling rentals, nobody IS careful, or wears ANY gear, or rides with much forethought about what could go wrong. And a lot of them, when they have finished, just drop the scooter on the ground wherever they happen to be, and walk away from it !! Some people genuinely don't deserve nice things, but it's a shame those people further endanger what, if any rights the people doing it safely are trying to gain.

With that, and the other scooter guy who knocked the old lady down going to prison for 16 months over it, this has been a truly tragic week for PEV in the UK.

Edited by Cerbera
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

If he really just crashed on his own (sure a good argument for the bigger tires of EUCs!) and was simply very unlucky (I mean, what horrible luck!), this might have no consequences for PEVs. I don't think people care, and they will just shrug their shoulders, as it does not pertain to them. This doesn't seem "triggering" to me, unlike PEV riders disturbing the holy car status quo simply by existing on the roads and demanding mental effort and consideration and forcing people to deal with something new. Or when PEVs hit some old granny once a year (never mind the daily deadly car crashes).

13 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

If he really just crashed on his own (sure a good argument for the bigger tires of EUCs!) and was simply very unlucky (I mean, what horrible luck!), this might have no consequences for PEVs. I don't think people care, and they will just shrug their shoulders, as it does not pertain to them.

But other than qualified e-bikes, all other pev's are illegal in the UK except on private properties. If enforcement was lax lately, one would think they may decide to step enforcement for the next little while. Me thinks, this looks bad on the police for letting a law unabiding citizen slip through the crack.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1