In the news...

Circuitmage

A quote from @winterwheel linked article:

“We have 11 doctor shifts a day and most of the doctors tell me it’s hard to go a whole shift without seeing at least one scooter injury,” said Dr. Christopher Ziebell, emergency department medical director at DSMC-UT."

When you think about how many offs we EUCers have WITHOUT going to the A&E, imagine how many rental escooter riders are wiping out without going to A&E if this hospital virtually sees one per doctor shift, eleven doctor shift per day.

I suspect, if these things remain on our streets, in a few years,there will be a small army of people with permanent wrist and shoulder injuries roams around. I bet the US medical industry is loving it.

• Upvote 1

Bigger wheels are really a no-brainer, and I can't imagine it would effect the final price more than a dollar or two.  I don't know why people ride things with little wheels.  Skateboards make no sense to me; one un-observed pebble in your path and you're potentially flying.  How many of us have avoided EVERY little obstacle in our path? and we only have one tyre track to worry about

1 hour ago, Smoother said:

I don't know why people ride things with little wheels.

Small wheels are attractive because they are small and light. As long as the surface is ultra-smooth they are not a problem either. So there is no good reason you use a skateboard with 16" (instead of 2") wheels in the skatepark. But then, I also think that many people don't understand or have thought through the disadvantage of small wheels on rough surfaces too well.

15 minutes ago, ir_fuel said:

Pretty sure it is. Bigger wheels require more powerful motors. 

Every legal ebike is limited to a 250W motor regardless of wheel size, and that BMW scooter also has a legal 250W motor.  So I don't think you are correct in that assumption.

Edited by Smoother

Larger wheels require motors with more torque for any given rpm (assuming direct drive). That doesn't necessarily mean they are more expensive though, at least when wheel sizes are small anyways. There is quite likely a motor-cost-optimal wheel size and it may indeed be smaller than we would like it to be.

Edited by Mono
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Smoother said:

Every legal ebike is limited to a 250W motor regardless of wheel size, and that BMW scooter also has a legal 250W motor.  So I don't think you are correct in that assumption.

Take a wheel and a given motor, take a bigger wheel and the same motor and the wheel will accelerate slower.

15 hours ago, ir_fuel said:

Take a wheel and a given motor, take a bigger wheel and the same motor and the wheel will accelerate slower.

How does this relate to the cost of the wheel? and besides mono already explained that they take the same 250W motor and just wire it differently for increased torque for the bigger wheel, , so you're arguing a point that I didn't make, and has already been explained satisfactorily. Your statements are still making no sense and do not relate to my original and only point that it can't cost that much more to put slightly bigger wheels on an escooter.

Just FTR, I didn't mean to say that one can change the torque of motors ad libitum by different wiring.

I do feel that going from the typical tiny scooter wheels to spoke wheels with air tires like the BMW X2 can hardly be cost neutral up to a dollar or 2. So manufacturers who try to be tight on costs have no intention at all to switch to larger wheels. Nevertheless, the advantages of larger wheels IMHO clearly outweigh the costs I would assume they impose. I can imagine that a pretty good compromise is a 16"-20" front wheel and a small cost-optimal integrated combo-motor-wheel in the back.

Edited by Mono
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Smoother said:

Your statements are still making no sense

What makes no sense? That the same motor will accelerate slower on a bigger wheel?

and only point that it can't cost that much more to put slightly bigger wheels on an escooter.

You say it can't cost that much more. I say it might cost much more. Unless you are knowledgable about this domain from working there or other direct sources, your opinion is as valid as mine on this subject. There are no explanations. There is only educated guessing going on. 

If price doesn't matter, why don't they equip all electric vehicles with 2000W motors? If I have the choice between a Xiaomi scooter that does 25km/h on a flat road but slows down on an incline, or a Ninebot that also does 25km/h but keeps that speed on a steep hill, the Ninebot clearly has a big commercial advantage, and that only for a very small extra cost (if any). Why wouldn't they do this?

Edited by ir_fuel

So much wining about those things, the problem is idiot users and vandals, not the system in itself IMO. That's why we can't have nice things etc.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/12/tech/harley-davidson-ebike-escooter/index.html

"It could position something that's branded Harley as an alternative to scooter rental," Sundararajan said. "There aren't many iconic mobility brands. How can Harley take advantage of people radically changing how they transport themselves?"

Someone please call Harley Davidson and ask them to consider making EUC's.:dribble:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 3/9/2019 at 7:53 AM, LanghamP said:

That report doesn't sound too bad because most crashes are injuries. While the injuries are gruesome, there's very few fatalities.

It's worth noting that (in my personal experience) I've NEVER seen an e-sccoter rider wearing protections. A helmet, at most, but even that's rare (at least around here). Which, TBH, explains a lot (in terms of injury statistics)....

While EUC riders are much more aware of the risks involved, I don't get a sense e-scooter users are too aware of how easily a small pot hole can send them flying...

Edited by travsformation
  • Upvote 2

Excellent video, matches my personal experience, although I find that it's wearing goggles that really remove my inhibitions to go faster and push the limit in questionable conditions, more-so than a helmet. The part about cars driving more aggressively when one is visibly geared up matches my experience as well.

• Upvote 1

https://electrek.co/2019/03/14/disastrous-fire-consumes-all-electric-motorcycles-in-motoe-races-future-uncertain/amp/

In a disasterous turn of events, a garage fire broke out in the facility holding the MotoE racing series electric motorcycles. Early reports are that all 18 bikes were consumed in the blaze.

To the surprise of zero people on this forum, storing a bunch of lithium ion batteries is A Bad Idea (but I do it anyway).

• Like 3

8 hours ago, LanghamP said:

https://electrek.co/2019/03/14/disastrous-fire-consumes-all-electric-motorcycles-in-motoe-races-future-uncertain/amp/

In a disasterous turn of events, a garage fire broke out in the facility holding the MotoE racing series electric motorcycles. Early reports are that all 18 bikes were consumed in the blaze.

To the surprise of zero people on this forum, storing a bunch of lithium ion batteries is A Bad Idea (but I do it anyway).

Gutted to see that this morning. I was really looking forward to that series. 

Video footage

• Like 1

9 hours ago, LanghamP said:

:cry2:

• Like 1